Running on insulin...Adding mileage

Can anyone point me in the direction of a thread that would contain information on how to add mileage to runs (type one pump) or just let me know how you increase your mileage? Thanks! The farthest run I’ve managed is 3.5 miles. I can consistently run 2-2.5 miles but I’d like to make it up to 5 regularly. I eat a large-ish meal/snack an hour or two before i run and cut the bolus in half. Other suggestions? Turning down my basal doesn’t seem to work well for me but if y’all can do it successfully I’d be willing to try again!

Sure, it just depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking for info on the training/running aspects? Or looking for info on the BG management aspects?

What happens with what you are currently doing?

This is helpful, but another thing that can help is a few carbs right when you start.

Your body has 3 general fuel sources for long runs - muscle glycogen (stored carbs in your muscles), fat metabolism, and from glucose in your blood and from recently consumed food.

It will use a combination of all of them, but it uses the easiest source. Early on in a run, your body is warming up and it will often take a lot of glucose from your blood because it is easy. So this can cause a drop in the first few miles.

Anyway, tell me what you are seeing with your BG, and I can try to point you in the right direction for info.

Thanks, Eddie. I can make it through 2.5 miles by cutting my bolus in half and then my blood sugar plummets and as soon as I stop running I level off at wherever that number is without going lower.

Good idea: eating a few carbs just before the run.

I’m looking for BG management advice! Thanks!

I think part of the part of the problem you are having is the IOB for the meal/snack you eat 2 hours before.

I try to avoid meals and taking insulin for 4 hours before a run. And then I just eat a few carbs before starting, without taking insulin for it. So I am always running with zero IOB (the only exception to this is for races, which is a different story altogether…)

Do you cut your basal down too? Or just cut the bolus for the food you eat prior?

For long runs (like over an hour) I turn basal off completely. Sometimes 30 minutes before starting, sometimes right before starting.

For anything less than an hour, it just depends.

Here are some links with some write-ups I did. Not all of it is diabetes related, but it gives good general background info on what is happening with your body.

If you want to read a bit and then we can get into some specifics for you. Such as how hard you are running, if you are doing a gradual slow warmup or just starting right off at your pace, about cutting basal, your general carb consumption, how frequently you are running, things like that.

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks so much for all the info! I’m excited to try a longer run tomorrow without any IOB and a small snack. What a great tip! Why didn’t I think of that!? Geesh.

1 Like

You may also want to turn your basal off when you start. It may not be necessary, but if you are still dropping it can help.

Let me know how it goes!

Today: woke up at 100; ate one scrambled egg and 8 carbs of granola bar just before heading out the door in attempt to run 5 miles. CGM stayed flat around 120 and started to crash around mile 3. Called it a wrap for the day. Leveled out at 80 without any glucose. Perhaps I should eat more than 8 carbs?

1 Like

Did you turn off your basal also? Maybe more carbs, or a bigger reduction in basal, or a combination of both those. There are a lot of different ways to do it.

But why did you stop? This sounds great! Leveling out at 80 is perfect!

1 Like

I Used Shot blocks (8carbs) One every mile or so not so much to keep my numbers even, but to eliminate the run into the wall feeling.
I am a T2 not pumps etc.
Early on during a 5k or 10K run I checked my bg every 3/4 Mile to figure out how many carbs i need to consume during the run. ‘
I am T2 for ten years. Diet and exercise only, prone to dropping BG.
Keeps my energy level even Uually finish in the upper 90’s
Age 73

1 Like

I stopped bc my cgm arrows were heading straight down.

Yesterday I started at 146; no iob; ate 10 carbs and still plummeted straight down after two miles. Grrrrrr…its all so frustrating.

Did you also turn off your basal? If not, it would probably be good to add that into the mix.

Another thing to consider - your body will use whatever fuel source it can and whatever is able to supply what your body’s needs.

For slower paces, it can use fat metabolism. The faster you go, the more your body will rely on carb metabolism, which is muscle glycogen and the glucose you have available in your blood at the time (since your liver does receive the signal that your blood sugar is low, so you do not get the liver glycogen like the non-D’s).

What pace are you running, in terms of your easy, medium, or hard? Is it a very easy pace? Somewhat challenging?

I think it helps to have a bit of a slow warm-up, to allow your body to begin mobilizing fat metabolism. Once you get warmed-up, your body can use the multiple sources it has, and you may not burn as much of your blood sugar.

Good information. I had to lower my pace to extend the time running before crashing. This a change since before diagnosis