Scared and need to vent

I’ve researched and read about the omnipod for months. I finally decided to give it a try. Supplies have arrived and 1st meeting with trainer is tomorrow. Now i’m hearing about another system (solo4you). That looks great too. I’m scared I may start the OmniPod, not like it, then be stuck for 4yr (read most insurance compainies won’t covr change until this time). I’m not someone who does well with decisions!! I pray the omnipod works well with me. It’s my 1st pump.

The Solo pump seems very similar to the Omnipod pump. I have Omnipod, and love it. Solo has a few things that Omnipod doesn’t, but in the long run, I feel that Omnipod is a better system. I hope you love your Omnipod as much as I do! Unless you have a bad experience with pod failure (which I don’t have), you’ll most likely be very pleased with your new pump. Congrats on a getting your pump, and good luck with the training!

I agree. My son started the Omnipod two weeks ago and we love it. We recieved our demo version of the solo in the mail last week. There are things on it that I don’t like, and I feel much better that we just went ahead with the Omnipod. It was the right time for my son, and although I appreciate the slightly smaller size of the solo - you have to disconnect for swimming, carry a glucose meter as well as the remote, and the insertion isn’t as easy as Omnipod. Also, it is actually not very easy to remove the base from the insertion site. My son definitely couldn’t do it, and when I did it I was pretty sure he wouldn’t like me doing it while it was attached to him. I’m sure there are people that will love the solo, but I’m glad that for our first pump, I have a support system of other users, and a company with lots of support people available (even though I’ve heard some are better than others). Just my 2 cents.

Nikki, there has been discussion here about the new system…maybe you could research that. I know that I was made to feel happy with sticking with my pod after reading them. I also have not had problems with failures like some people do and have been very happy. Good luck.

I’ve posted this elsewhere, but the only advantages that I see with the Solo versus the OmniPod are: (1) smaller size; (2) partial detachability, and (3) on-pump buttons for bolusing. However, (1) OmniPod should have a pod out even smaller than the Solo by the time the Solo actually hits the market, (2) partial detachability isn’t a feature I would use (if at all – this seems like a weird vestige of tubed pumping to me), and seems a bit tricky based upon the Solo demo I received from Medingo, and (3) you shouldn’t bolus without using a glucometer (e.g., the OmniPod PDM) unless you are in unusual circumstances. The only other potential advantage is that if the Solo detaches, you need to replace only the plastic base instead of an entire OmniPod, but I’m not someone who has any issues with OmniPod detachment (but I respect that other folks sometimes do).

The way I see it, the Solo has several disadvantages compared to the OmniPod, namely (1) it’s not waterproof, (2) it lacks automated cannula insertion like the OmniPod, and requires a separate insertion tool, (3) it lacks an integrated glucometer like the OmniPod PDM, (4) CGM integration with the OmniPod is supposedly just around the corner whereas CGM integration is probably not even on Medingo’s radar screen, (5) the OmniPod has a smooth integrated exterior, whereas my Solo demo has a metal plate on top that looks like it could catch on clothes, etc., (6) the base of the Solo is a solid chunk of plastic while the OmniPod has more breatheable base (which admittedly, might be a bit less stable than a solid chunk of plastic even though it’s probably more comfortable), and (7) more pieces with the Solo means more complexity, which generally means more ways for things to go wrong.

Ultimately, what matters is that you choose the best way to treat your diabetes in a way that works for you. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over electing an OmniPod now versus waiting as much as a year for the Solo to hit the market.

Good luck with your first day of pumping!

It’s always scary to switch treatments. I have gone from shots to a minimed to a cozmo to an omnipod. Each time, it was a little scary, but each time, I found my way through the transition. Each kind of insulin pump has its pros and cons, but I promise you will survive the length of a warranty on whichever you choose. Remember that there’s usually a 30-day trial period on most devices. I have been on the pod for 4 months and love it. Best of luck to you!

I wouldn’t worry about the Solo4you. I spoke with the CDEs at Stanford regarding this product and they are NOT going to roll it out through them. Apparently, they are going to launch it into several small markets and do more “real” people testing on it so I don’t think it will be ready for primetime for quite some time.

That said, while it looks really cute - I got a sample. Things that aren’t great - you have to have a separate infusion set - it doesn’t automatically insert like the OmniPod. You still have to change the infusion set every three days. If keeping insulin is an issue, I suppose this would matter but those of us with little kids never use the full amount anyway and I think having insulin so close to your body continuously would make it degrade to some point. For those of us with little kids, the fact that you can bolus off the pod is scary. I actually wouldn’t get it for that reason. Our son is now 3.5 years old and I can just imagine that if he was hanging around squeezing the sides of the pump while laying in bed, etc… I think, from what I’ve read about it, it seems more of a product aimed for adults. Also, I stuck it on my body and tried to remove it with one hand, not an easy thing to do. The tape also is much less sticky than the OmniPod, I was able to pull it off my leg with no adhesive remover, etc. I just wonder how long the tape would last with all the taking on and off of the device in general.

The OmniPod is a great choice of a young kid. You won’t be sorry that you got it. Just be aware, like anything, it takes a while to get it working up to speed. I tell everyone that it takes about 4-8 weeks before you can totally relax about it. I think using a traditional pump, you would also probably have that same learning curve. Check out the post “Tips & Tricks” that I posted a long time ago , there are some really good hints on starting up on the OmniPod there.

Good luck - you’ve made the right decision!!

My 12 year old son has been on the omnipod for two years and i can say with all honesty, this is a great technology that can change the way you feel about diabetes. We also had our share of problem solving in the first 6-8 weeks, but once we figured it out…what a difference! We have had minimal “bad pod” events, and customer service is great. I dont have a single complaint, and I’m a very concerned mother…believe me, if I had any issues, EVERYBODY would know about it. Fear not. try it out, I hope it works for you…dont be afraid.

At this point, the Omnipod is proven while the other isn;t at this point. Going-forward I expect it will cause Insulet to improve upon the Pod. Otherwise, I just love the Omnipod. I couldn’t imagine going back to MDI ever again…

In my opinion, you made the right choice and I wouldn’t worry…

Started in June 09, check my experience on my page at bottom. Love it.

Good luck!

That’s great! I agree that any transition is stressful. I’m glad to hear it’s starting off well. My son has used it for over 2 years and I think he actually likes the “ticks” because it lets him prepare. He counts down and braces himself. Good luck and feel free to keep asking questions.

I recieved a solo sample in the mail. I was not impressed. it was slightly thinner, but the same relative size as far as real estate taken on the body. When it first arrived I thought… oh this looks a lot smaller … then I put it next to a pod and went… oh … that stinks!

Omnipod is a great pump and is waterproof, and has a meter on it. It delivers accurately and reliably. We don’t regret the decision at our house. Enjoy the omnipod!

You have a trial period with the OmniPod and can return it if you don’t like it.

Nikki, how is it going now? Do you like the OmniPod?

One other big advantage of the OmniPod is that even if you leave the PDM at home, you are still getting your basal insulin. With the Solo, if something happens to the device and it comes off, you are receiving NO insulin. I think that’s a very important difference. When we were in Mexico once, something happened with our PDM and it blanked out and needed to be reset. I didn’t have my settings paper with me (I’ve since put a copy in the case) and called Insulet. They told me just to inject him for the bolus, and then, when I got home, re-enter the settings in the pump, put on a new pod and then I would be fine. He still received his basal even though I couldn’t use the PDM. Very important.

I absolutely love the Omnipod and cannot imagine going back to MDI. It was an adjustment at first and I am still tweaking here and there a couple months later. I do get pod failures every now and then but customer support has been so great with replacements that I don’t mind the inconvenience of a failure. Similar to others on this thread, I have the same dislikes about the Solo and am looking forward to seeing the improvements in the Omnipod now that there is some competition out there.

Please keep us posted. FWIW, I went on a pretty stressful business trip a week after I started on the Pod and I did just fine. :slight_smile:

I’m with you on the middle of the night BG checks. Yuck. But worth it!