Scatter Laser Treatment

In a week, I’m scheduled for scatter laser treatment (just in my right eye). I’m not gonna lie, I’m petrified. I can’t even stand to put drops in my eyes…how am I going to handle a cornucopia of lasers being shot toward me?

Has anyone had scatter laser treatment? I can find information about what they do during the treatment, but does it hurt? Is my eye going to swell or anything? But, most importantly, will I be able to watch “Criminal Minds” later on that night? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Brandie -

I am a 30 year vet to the big D…so I am not a “typical” story, but I have had all kinds of eye troubles, and the VERY LEAST of my concerns is more laser, As of today, I have had over 30 laser treatments, and 5 “vitrectomies” ( when bleeding in the eye blocks your vision, they go in and get the blood out…these are a litttle more serious) and I can tell you laset treatments are completely painless, and no, it sjhouldnt interrupt your habits later in the day. There might be a small “ache” after the procedure, but that can be taken care of with a couple advil. If you are very sesitive about anything in your eye, the biggest concern herre will be the drops to dilate your eyes, which may make you more sensitive to the sun after the procedure. Laser REALLY is not a big deal! Dont get to freaked at this point! You can read more about my 30 years, eye problems, brain hemmorhage, etc. at http://www.supportersofsurvivors.com I promise, nothing for sale there!

I have had a few laser treatments. And as Steve D said, they are painless. Your eye will be dilated so make sure you have a driver for after the treatment. As for watching TV - it depends on what time your laser treatment is. I usually take a nap after I get home (I have to get up early to get to my doc) to use my time wisely while my eye is un-dilating. I still can’t really read or do anything on the computer, but I can watch TV without a problem.

The numbing eye drops wouldn’t be a problem…my doctor told me that they were going to use a needle to numb my eye. I think just thinking about it is what’s freaking me out. My mom is driving me home. Which is another reason to worry…she’s never driven in Kansas City before. :slight_smile:

I’ve had diabetes for almost 30 years and this is the first major problem I’ve had, due to diabetes, surprisingly. During my teen years, I became a Pepsi-holic.

Anyhoo, thank you, Steve and Deborah, for the reassurance! :slight_smile:

I agree with everything Deborah stated, and, if they are using novacaine as a numbing agent (sounds like it)…they usually “put you out” before they use the needle. Ask your doc if this is what they are going to do…I cant imeagine any other way! If so, I’ve had this done to me at leasr 6 times and it ends up being painless, again. Again, I cant imagine they would use an injection on a fully conscous patient, and if they say they have to, find another doc!