School anxiety for moms, anyone?

Lorraine, has calab started school? Is it fourth or fifth, he just looks like a mature, wise soul that brings alot of joy to your world. I hope he is doing well or if his big day isnt until tomorrow it is a day of ease and fun for both of you, maybe some quite for you. the big joke around here is we thought my younger school was starting school today and he was on facebook this morning and was like somethings changed. changed?? i said, then it dawned on me i never really checked his schedule and just assumed he was stating today but it is tomorrow! the difference in preparing your D son and your nonD son for school! we got a chuckle and he had one more day i told him he needed to be good and quite because i was anticipating my day of quite, ( tuesdays are my day off) of course he was, when one is home it is just quieter anyways and mason has always been pretty low maintenance but not the best eater, i guess god gives us what we can handle. You are obviously a great mom, best wishes, amy

Amy, now you have a right to be nervous so close to his diag., but so glad he is doing well, i guess as ray suggests if we expect them to do well, they will and trying to empower them rather than smother them, but as you suggest giving up control is so hard! jacob loves his new school and of course he has two weeks under his belt now and is doing great, he even shared with a new friend that he has D, he saw his medical alert dog tags and his friend asked and was like, oh, that was it! i'm not crazy about his snack choices he has been picking when he has a snack at school and there have been goodies brought in to school but he has been bolusing appropriately by far better then eating and not bolusing! he is of the adage he can eat everything and cover it with insulin we eat generally pretty healthy at home so hopefully my healthy eating habits will stick with him when he is an adult! best of luck with your son Amy, Amy ( I've met a few Amy's lately, early 40's i speculate the name isnt so popular anymore we should be friends)

Hi Amy. Thanks for your kind comments. How funny that you had a day more than you thought. That sounds like something I would do. I suppose it's better than the other way around and missing the first day of school!
Yes, Caleb started last week. He's in fourth grade - new school, new nurse. It's going adequately. He's doing everything wonderfully. Just trying to get everyone else in the groove. Always fun (not really).

I hope today goes swimmingly for you guys!

Amy, my son was diagnosed as a Sophomore. We found there to be a lot of people at his high school that knew about Diabetes - Nurses, Sports Trainers, Coaches, Medical Academy Teachers. He will do well.

If your son wants an emergency wristband, my son likes the XtremeSportsId one for runners. It has a place online to list parents, doctors and other phone numbers. I really liked it once he started driving and was further away from us.

My son just started college this year 5 hours away from us and he is doing great. The picture is the month he was diagnosed. He had lost so much weight that he could barely stand on his skates for this picture.

Yes, Amy, I am in my early/mid 40's - must have been a popular name back in the day!
Well, we have only had really a 1/2 day so far. Today he missed as it was our 2nd education day at the clinic. Tomorrow will be his first full day at school, getting in his snacks, etc. He did set an alarm on his phone to help remind himself. He is doing well, so I am optimistic! And actually the harder thing for us is planning his lunch. We have a menu but they don't post online the nutritional values, so I guess I will be making a phone call tomorrow :-)

Then for more fun, he has a confirmation retreat this weekend, an overnighter. This makes me perhaps the most nervous. But his twin brother will be there with him to help him out.

Thank you for the positive words!
Amy

Hi - thank you!
I know we will find our way, too.

I will definetly check out that wrist band, as I am on the hunt!

Amy

Hi Ray - we have made it thru our 1st week worries and all.
We actually kept our plans to go camping this past weekend, meeting up with his friends who were also at the campground.
He took them into the camper one night when he did his evening lantus and showed them. They were great about it. So that is a huge relief.

Amy

it s great to see them grow up..

Finn started his final year today , he wants to go to uni next year..

I remember the night he was in a tent with his friends and they laughed their heads off...on one of the guys farting...lol...

what Finn helped were teamsports...so if he likes that?...but never force anything..

have fun!

Hi Amy, i suspect your son is on novolog and lantus, my biggest concern at that time was that i would give novolog instead of lantus, i would try keeping them in seperate places and coloring the boxes purple and orange, yes i did it once luckily the box was on the counter so i knew right away, called his endo and had to feed him about 120 carbs this was right after halloween so you guess what he got! it was a rough night! so that would probably be my biggest concern with the overnighter, you are fortunate his brother will be there to help, i suspect he is right there for his brother as he should be! best of luck with the school lunch issue! so far jacob has been bring his but i think his new school posts the nutritional content, i was pretty surprised! they say being diag as a teen is really hard but i think with good parenting your son will do great, obviously you already had that down so that is why he is adjusting so well, so good job! hang in there, you are not alone. amy

Hockey mom, I've been thinking of him! is he totally over his mono? I hope you are both doing well and he is settliing into college life! amy

It seems like it. It is hard to tell but he is over the sore throat which was horrible and has his appetite back. Although he is adjusting to the dorm food. We text or talk to him almost daily but boys don't talk much.

He is coming home for the homecoming football game on Sept.21st to see his girlfriend. I'm nervous about him driving 5 hours but it will be so good to see him.

Hockey tryouts are Saturday and Sunday. That will be the test of his recovery. Hope he is well stocked for those lows.

Donna

Amy, it took Greg over a year before he would test near any of his friends, even close ones. For lunch he tested in the nurses office or in the hallway ( one year he got out early to do this).

He eventually developed a close knit little group of friends who were also Sports Trainers. For two years our house was full of four or five of his friends that knew he was more comfortable eating premeasured snacks and diet sodas at home where he could test. They were welcome to have snacks and sodas, too. If they ate fast food, they brought it back so he could test and check carb counts. He still wasn't testing "in front" of them - they were just aware of his diabetes and his need to test.

Eventually, he became comfortable enough with testing in front of this core group of friends and eating out with them. He still did not test in front of his hockey team that he had played with for 5 years. And, this Summer the group began hanging out at a few girls and others houses with work from home moms. After 3 years, he had finally become comfortable in sharing. It has made college easier.

He decided at college to file with Disabilities and Health Services and notify his teachers. He had no choice at High School in Texas. I'm not sure if he has told his roommates or his hockey coach which is scary for me!

Jacob sounds really normal to me and he will tell people he trusts when he is ready. My son always carried a snack, just in case. He could always get a hall pass and eat it outside if he felt low or go to the nurses office for juice. Jacob will work out what works for him - just encourage him to do it.

The only time I was really mad at Greg was the time his class won a contest and had cupcakes and soda and he sat there, ate nothing and came home whining about Diabetes. It was sad but only because he was such a victim. He wasn't restricted on food so he could have estimated the carbs, done insulin and eaten everything. He knew they were doing this party so he could have taken oreos or a healthier treat and a diet soda. The teacher would have let him go to the teachers lounge for a diet soda, if he would have asked. I so just wanted to hug him because Diabetes does suck, but sucks worse if you don't do anything to help yourself.

Hi Donna, thanks for sharing, it is good to here other's experiences. so glad that greg is feeling better, it sounds like greg and jacob have similar personalities, which i think plays a big role in how they handle their D personally and in the world, ( along with good support from us, as well as us promoting independence even though it is hard to let go!) jacob has always been a pretty quite boy, which i like to be honest, he is polite and considerate of others feelings and sensitive himself. i always tell him i am proud of him and he always asks why so instead of the usual reasons i said i am proud of you because you are not a risk taker! he always has been cautious, he was surprised with my response but i think this quality will serve him well i would rather him quietly handle his D correctly because he is conciencous rather than just ignore it like some teens do. jacob has been know to have glucose tabs in the bathroom at school, and given the cupcake incident he would of definitely indulged but bulused after! well best of luck i'm sure these are some tough weeks for you i will be thinking of both of you! amy

I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL!!! YESTERDAY MY SON'S TEACHER TOLD HIM HE WAS GOING TO DIE FROM HIS DIABETES AND THEN TURNED AROUND AND TOLD ALL OF THE STUDENTS IT WAS THEIR JOB TO MONITOR MY SON AT ALL TIMES OR HE WILL DIE!! NEW TEACHER...DID NOT LIKE HER ON THE FIRST DAY...ABOUT 2 WKS. AGO. SHE'S MANAGED TO OFFEND EVERYONE SO FAR..I GUESS YESTERDAY WAS THE DAY TO DING US. BUT CALLED HIS EDUCATOR,SCHOOL BOARD PRESIDENT, AND SCHOOL SUPERINTENDENT. FOLLOWED THE CHAIN OF COMMAND. THEY WERE ALL SUPPORTIVE THANKFULLY. I HAVE THE SAME KNOT IN MY BELLY AS YOU DO!! APPRECIATE BEING ABLE TO VENT...I HOPE YOUR SCHOOL YR. IS A GREAT ONE! TAKE CARE!

oh my goodness, i would ask for a new teacher, obviously she is extremely ignorant, i hope your son is ok and realizes she was pretty out of line, how can he go foward and respect her as a teacher, i dont know about your son but mine is pretty closed mouthed about his D and i might of had to home school after an incident like that! i suspect your son has thick skin with so many years under his belt, i was reading your home page how he is so good about his D and inspires you. kids are pretty amazing and your son probably knows nothing other than life with D which as sick as it sounds can be a plus so as he doesnt have to adjust to life with D at a more difficult age like as a teen. jacob was diag at 10 and is responsible and ussually pretty resilient but has an occasional bad D day. but like you he is my inspiration. best of luck and hope it gets better. by the way you live in my dream state i've always told my kids i want to live in montana, less people and more wide open spaces! maybe some day! hang in there, this site really is great for sharing i am glad you found it! welcome. amy