Science fair project

Hi everyone, My daughter is doing a science fair and we were looking for some ideas for a project…she is only in 3rd grade so I would like to keep it at a level that grade school kids would understand…any ideas? Thanks a bunch Tara

Great discussion. I hope you get a few ideas that will be fun.

This idea depends on what type of choices the kids have during meal times. But what if she asked the cafeteria staff to count the number of milks the kids (or her classmates) consumed on three consecutive days. Then some type of intervention would need to take place such as she did a mini lesson on the benefits of milk or the teacher had an activity regarding the benefits of milk, hang posters, etc.

Then she would ask the cafeteria staff to conduct the count again and see if there was an increase in number of milks consumed. This isn’t directly related to diabetes but it is related to healthy eating.

Good luck and I can’t wait to see some of the other suggestions. We also want to see pics when she wins the fair!!

how popcorn pops!

not in the microwave but on the stove top… basically the corn is dried and when you heat it up it gets moisture in the inside and pops…

do you know about Mr. wizard???

How about the topic of portion size and the number of grams of carbohydrates each has. Makes for a bunch of pictures of macaroni and cheese on plates, vs veggies on plates. And you can go on from there!
Or McDs, Burger King, etc in pictures on posters with number of grams of carbs.
Can have kitchen scale with foods, too, if desired - divided into healthy portions vs what is too much.

pbs right? i sent for a kit and never got one.

play food would work good too. i like the idea of using portion and carb counting, that’s all i see when i see a plate of food, carbs…or how about the extra large pixi sticks…

I’m thinking that i will have samantha do exercise and diabetes…I would like a poll of people…what is you a1c, how much do you exercise,(or dont), and a average reading ( i know this also come from your a1c, just thought it would be easier for her to see this)

i’m also going to have her do exercise everyday for a set time and see what her #'s chart to be.

i thought of doing a project that compares glucose monitors (my son and his dad use different ones plus we have a couple others we tried but didn’t care for) and their accuracy. my son wasn’t interested in doing any project, but I will keep the idea for future. I though we could make a chart with the different monitors accross the top and then he could check various ppls BG with all the monitors at the same time and see if the readings were all close or if one was always higher or lower, etc. Thought it would be fun for him as he could help other ppl check their sugar like he does everyday:)

Here is one with diabetes as a theme.

Make a scale and let people put items on the scale to manage their BG.

The scale pointer can indicate BG. One side, the one that makes the BG go lower, can have items such as insulin and exercise, items that lower BG. On the other side of the scale, have them put items such as different foods, hormones, medicine, stress and illness, which raise BG.

The scale can be tilted at times to mimic background insulin, basal dosages, insulin resistance and other items that have a prolonged impact on BG.

Give them a challenge to eat a few meals by adding food and and insulin to match to keep the scale balanced. Or, let them take five minutes to keep the scale balanced, while eating, running or exercising. You could even add alarms that would sound when the scale hand goes out of range.

This is a great way of simulating the challenges of managing BG throughout the day.

What about

Why an egg becomes ‘fried’.
Answer: basically protein ‘coagulates’ at 60 degrees Celcius, which is 140 farenheit.

Message here is for children to keep away from fire or their skin/muscles will become ‘fried’ just like an egg!

looking at the different rates of rust on metals.
take a penny, a nickle, and a paper clip (examples) and over a period of a week(or more) have her put 1 drop of water on each and see which one develops rust faster. or she could leave them in water for a week and see the same effect faster.

she could do the tensile strength of string. using different types of string/rope and some weights to see what holds up best.

water erosion is another. get different types of soil from a plant store and from where you live, put them in a baking pan at an angle and over a period of a week(or more) pour a certain amount of water down each type and see which type of soil stands up best vs. worst.