Sensor Allergy

I’m new at this but I just got the ipro and have an awful rash just where the sensor sets on my skin. Is this normal??

If you are using a MM sensor you have a few things that may be helpful.

Put the sensor in a place that has a minimal amount of skin and tissue movement. The stomach is bad if you twist and sit a lot. The pack and side of the arm has been found to be one if the best locations.

Another trick that I have had success with is putting a piece of waterproof foam tape over the sensor plastic to better secure the sensor so it will remain where you put it in.

Hypaflex is a great over the sensor adhesive patch. It comes in rolls and sheets and really secures the sensor so there is no movement in and out of the skin, which causes most localized irritation at the sensor site.

Thank you so much, I'll try and see what happens.

I had this problem for awhile too, developing a itchy rash, but for some reason it has not been an issue for me.

I did a few things...put a piece of gauze under the sensor, between the sensor and my skin, and at times I put on a piece of the IV prep (tegaderm stuff that I used to keep the sensor adhered) and inserted though it. Both methods helped. I did change the gauze at least daily when I did it that way.

As I mentioned, I no longer have this problem. It was mostly an issue for me when it was hot and I was pregnant.

My daughter gets rash under the adhesive on her infusion site. We discussed it with the endo just yesterday and received these suggestions. All of them put a barrier on your skin so that the adhesive that's bothering you is on top of the barrier not on top of your skin.

1) Use a product called Certain Dry, which you buy at the drug store probably in the deoderant area. After bathing, apply the Certain Dry in the place you want to put on your site. Wait 12 hours. Put the site on. (Sounds inconvenient to me, but there you go.)

2) Use IV prep, which is very sticky. When I protested that her sites stick just fine (more than fine really), I was told that you were creating a barrier with the IV prep. The IV prep is stuck to your skin and the site is stuck to it, rather than the site being stuck directly to your skin.

3) Try a IV prep "frame" which is basically a large bandaid. Before opening it, cut a hole in the frame large enough for the insertion. Then put it on and put the site over it. Again, you're just putting a different material against the skin and sticking the site to it instead of to you.

I hope these ideas work for you and for us!

I did have this problem I put IV 3000 under where the sensor sat to solve the issue.

The IV3000 is the IV prep frame to which I was referring. That's for coming up with the name.

Thank you all for the great advise, and have a Merry Christmas :)

I use IV3000 or Tegaderm under my pump sites. I can inject through it for my infusion sets; however, DexCom told me that I need to cut out a small hole for their sites. I have found small amounts of both at different drug stores, so you can try before you buy in larger quantities. Good luck!

What, exactly, is Tagaderm?

Tegaderm is a barrier film similar to IV3000.. I tend to use it because i had problems with peeling off skin with the IV3000 (yes when i removed it, i had a red square even when using unisolve that took almost a month to fully recover.. Its made by 3m... Comes in two types of adhesive.. I like the HP (holding power).. version, but oddly enough i found i have *less/no* reaction to the HP adhesive, plus it seems to stick better. and a slight one to the regular adhesive...

http://www.americandiabeteswholesale.com/product/3m-tegaderm-transp...
for the non HP version

http://www.americandiabeteswholesale.com/product/3m-tegaderm-hp-tra...

for the HP version. the difference is they use a different adhesive on the HP..

Iv always thought Dexcom should make a plastic template or a large hole punch, so you could fold the Teg/iv3000 in half, and cut along the template, or just punch a big hole in it for the sensor..

Thanks. Good information, since my daughter also has a nasty red mark that lasts and lasts.

She's wearing an IV3000 under her site right now, and it's peeling off. No noticeable redness, but it's peeling off.

Funny, that'a practically what the endo told us to do: fold the IV frame into quarter and cut a hole, like making paper dolls.

Like PP.said, I found that the transmitter sitting against the skin was the main issue, not the actual sensor site. I now put a piece of a J and J tough pad (4 to a pack but I cut into quarters) over the sensor adhesive tape and under the transmitter, then I put a piece of gauze between my skin and the transmitter and then cover with a Tegaderm HP.

I cut off the adhesive that extends under the sensor as it caused a nasty rash. With that cut off I have no problems.

Our first experiement using IV3000 frame was not a success. Instead of a small, angry, red cicle where the set was, she had a large, but somewhat less red rectangle where the frame had been.

we are also having this problem and sometimes his sites stick well and sometimes they have just fallen off in the bathtub, so we usually cover them with IV300. I have found when we remove it is really red in the circle where the site was and still red in the rectangle where the IV3000 was. where the actually site was lasts WAY longer. He has about 3 of those circles all in varying degrees of redness. We didn't notice this at first though when we didn't use skin tac either, so I am wondering if it is that and it has been suggested that the skin tac might be changing the adhesive to cause a reaction (we were advised to use skin tac after having a new site just fall off in the tub).

as far as the iv300, i always thought they should make slightly smaller ones that are bigger than the infusion set but not so large and with the hole already cut. I am glad to hear there is another one available to try.

Did you mean the I-Pro from the Dr's office that's the blinded sensor? That's what the I-Pro is as opposed to the Real- Time which is the sensor patients own and use continuously. Have you contacted your physician yet? That's the first thing I'd do even if it's the weekend if you're having a reaction to it. All of these suggestions are good for the real-time but wouldn't be very helpful if this is a one time deal for a 3 day run that Dr inserts for diagnostic purposes.

Iv heard of a few endos putting the Ipro on a user who is considering the Guardian/MM Paradigm/Veo/etc CGMS since its basically the same sensor... so they can get a feel for it and see if it is right for them and they can get the kinks out of the insertion...