Sensor insertion medtronic 630

I just inserted my first medtronic sensor today. I go for training on Thursday. I just am not too sure about the contour next test strips . Everytime I test it is always at least 3 mmol higher.

630 uses Enlite sensors, correct? Their accuracy rating is okay but lower than the newer Guardians (MedT) or Dexcom G4/G5. OTOH, the ContourNext meter system’s accuracy is rated very highly, one of the best on the market. It’s also the case that any CGM’s results lag about 15 min. behind fingersticks. So I’d be inclined to rely on the meter for the most accurate snapshot information and rely on the CGM more for showing current trends (dropping, rising, steady etc).

1 Like

Yes, the 630 uses enlite sensors. I will feel better when I go for my blood test next month. My doctor has me test at the same time to ensure the meter I’m using is accurate.

That’s actually a good idea. I’ve taken to doing that too, just out of curiosity, when I go in for my endo appointments. I assume that whatever they’re using has to meet a higher accuracy standard than the regular consumer devices we use. My ContourNext usually does quite well.

That’s good to know, but I won’t be settled until I know for sure.

You weren’t going to get a more accurate meter than the Contour meter.

1 Like

I saw my diabetes educator today for training on the cgm part of the 630g. She described to me that the contour measures the bloodsugar differently. My a1c usually runs a little on the low side anyways. This will help rise it a bit. She uses the same meter too as she also has the pump. I guess if she uses it, it must be okay. I like the options it gives you to record information like activity.

“Differently” to what?

The Freestyle Lite meter that I was using before I got my medtronic pump, measures glucose in a different way. It was reading about 2 mmol higher than the Freestyle lite… From what I heard the contour next is one of the most accurate meters.

It is.

Meters measure BG from a blood sample.

CGM calculates BG based on a reading from the fluids just under the skin. This method simply takes longer ,hence a 15 minute discrepancy.

The absolute numbers are not as important as the continuous data and current trend. And any method has built in percentage error.