Should I just not eat carbs at all since my blood sugar always rises high?

My son was diagnosed about 3 months ago...so I am NOT AN EXPERT. But, I also wonder why you need to keep your BG under 100? My son't target is 80 - 180. We don't even correct for readings until they are above 150. At our most recent visit, most of his readings were in the 110- 130 range and they were very pleased. IN fact, when we went through a spell of low sugars (and never as low as 37) they decreased his insulin because he was always below 100 in the am and they didn't want him starting the day that low.

You mention that you can't afford an endocrinologist. If your insurance does not cover one, can you see a diabetic educator? Where are you located? What is your local hospital? Do they have a program for people who can't afford to pay? Have you contacted JDRF? I wonder if they know of resources that can help you? 5 months is not a long time. It seems like you need someone to give you guidance. Even if you can't afford the doctor, it seems like there should be some other trained professional that can offer resources with your logs etc that maybe won't be as much.

I feel for you and I"m very concerned for you. You're one of the ones that needs some kind of heathcare reform the most. We need lots of help to understand and get this under control.

I pray that you can get the help you need. If you can't find anyone to help you.... and you live in a town with a university or something, I would go so far as to call tehir endocrinology clinic and tell them your story and ask what resources they know of that could help you. Good luck!

I have 3 different carb ratios - 1 for breakfast, 1 for lunch, and 1 for dinner. Carbs always hit me harder at breakfast, I need over twice as much insulin at breakfast as I do with dinner. I also have 3 basal rates, for different times of the month, so yeah, you have to watch yoru calendar to figure out how much long term to take if you are female.

I alwyas test before I eat. If I am a little high, I eat something like broccoli and meat first. Then teh carbs, if any. If I am low, I eat all my carbs first, and then the fiber and protein (meat and veggies). Remember at one hour there is about 30% of your humalog (or novalog) is used. At 1 1/2 hrs about 50% is used. At 2 hrs, about 70% is used. At 3 hrs, about 90% is used. It takes about 4 hours for it to be gone completely. Eat a potato after the protein and fiber.

Cheap protein can be found in beans, so you may need to learn how to cook. Usually there are enough carbs in beans where you won't need to add any to your meal. You can always throw an egg or two in top ramen when you make it (when it is almost finished cooking). There are some pretty cheap ways to add protein. You could eat a hard boiled egg and then eat an apple.

My carbs pretty much come from things like carrots and broccoli. There was a discussion called low carb on a budget. You could check that out.

Good luck. It may seem overwhelming sometimes, but you can do it.

I hate to tell you this, but for my first few years as a diabetic, I had pretty good control. Not because I was doing anything right, but probably because I was still producing insulin. Things got much worse before they started getting better.

Now, I'm having a lot of success controlling my BG with a LC diet (10-20g / meal) and an insulin pump. I'm still experimenting and learning how to manage, though. There are always things to figure out. If I knew when I was younger what I do now, I would have kept tighter control. But I didn't, and I probably wasn't ready to. Even Dr. Bernstein was unable to control his D until middle age.

My advice to you would be to just take it easy. You're doing fine. Adjust your diet and insulin to keep up with what your body's changing needs and make an honest effort to keep your BG in range. Even if you do everything perfectly, sometimes you'll be too high or too low. It's just the nature of T1.

You seem like a bright young woman with the will and ability to manage your D. Just be patient and take things one day at a time. Don't worry. You'll be fine.

A sustained BG >140 has been shown to increase the risk of complications over time. A healthy, fasting non-diabetic BG is about 85. That said, I think 80-180 is a reasonable range for a young, growing child. Even if you are confident with your son's care team, I would encourage you to ask questions, do reasearch, and become as much of an expert as you can.

You bring up an important point that is of quite a bit of concern to me... changing carb ratios throughout the day are in important thing to get a handle on. I'm trying hard to figure them out while I'm at home-- and that's hard enough. When I go to work, I work for two weeks (or more) at a time. I might be up at all hours of the day or night, working 6 hours on-- 6 off shifts, or sometimes 8 on 4 off - 4 on 8 off. Sometimes I don't work set hours but am up at any and all hours of the day or night as needed, which always amounts to a lot of hours of each day. Managing to figure out varying carb ratios under these circumstances will be a huge challenge, if not impossible... I would really welcome all suggestions, and particularly from people who mange tight control while working bizzare and erratic hours...

I'm doing just that. I haven't found it necessary to change my carb ratios throughout the day. Also, don't notice much of a dawn phenomenon anymore. I do cut back on my basal a little to compensate for the somogyi effect when I sleep. Temporoary basal if necessary. I generally find that getting too fancy with my pump settings screws me up. Luckily, as guys, hormones don't affect our BG as much.

It is impressive. His shape and general appearance is more than remarkable: It is exceptional - and that is an important point:

It is known that people with reduced eating habbits have the highest longetivity. It seems the reduced nutrition can trigger some fail safe modes in cells. These modes cause the cell to operate with higher efficency than usual. Thus making more out of the available in starvation mode. For me Bernstein has the genetic prediposition to cope and adjust very well in this scenario. To my knowledge his rate of complications is also remarkably low - another effect of genetic predisposition and good control. Since these are side effects of good genetics I just question the generalization on the general public.

Can we really achieve what Bernstein has achieved by following the Bernstein rules? Have we not seen T1 with good control that despite of their effords developed complications? Have we not seen that people with bad control still managed to stay free of complications? Will our cells also benefit from reduced nutrition by working in a superior starvation mode? Or is Bernstein just the exception - someone that only represents 10% or even less of the general public? These are the big questions to me. Of course there are nuggets of wisdom in his rules. But you can also find fundamentalism about food - something I really oppose.

I think that while it's "there", I don't think that it produces a vast impact on one's BG? I also sort of think that it's kind of irregular, drips and dribbles as opposed to steady stream of useful basal or perhaps a "reaction" to food that could bolster one's bolus? I only have the vaguest memories of discussing the issue w/ me. Back then the "plan" was to eat to the shots and meter and I recall the doc saying "you need to take more insulin" somehow but I don't recall the amounts. That's sort of in line with my experience these days in having numbers that need periodic tweaking, in terms of my approach and orientation towards results, if that makes sense?

i think he just looks skinny....what biceps? Seriously, i dont get it?!

I think that for a dude in his late 70s, while slim, he has some definition in there? Not so much as to inspire me to stop eating bread, potato chips, beer, etc. Less bread, potato chips and beer maybe but not "stop". If you lined him up with others in his cohort, I think he looks pretty good?

I agree with the sharp rise but I disagree with the 'increase that lasts all day bit". It lasts until the fix starts working...

I have heard of accounts of diabetics without tight control living very long, healthy lives. Sadly, the reverse as well. You can find examples of both on TuDiabetes. Clearly, A1C levels are not the only factor in the well-being of diabetics, but I believe we can all agree that they are important.

According to Dr. Bernstein's own accounts, he developed several complications, including kidney and heart disease earlier in life. He was able to reverse them by obsessively controlling his BG. There are probably few if any non-diabetics who keep their levels as stable or as low as his. That probably has a whole lot to do with his longevity and fitness in his old age.

I would argue that Dr. Bernstein is not Superman. More of a diabetic Batman.

haha nice photoshop!

I didn't say he was the most ripped 70 year old of all time but just that if you lined Dr. B up with others in his cohort, I think he looks pretty good? I'd like to be that skinny when I'm 70. Shoot, I'd like to be that skinny now!

haha, no doubt he is in fine nick. But i wouldnt point to his biceps as examples of said fitness. He just looks healthy, not ripped!

Thats not a photoshop it is me in about 5 years

Ambee,
I hope you'll tell us what you've decided to do, after all these great ideas! Don't worry about honeymooning. If your meter reads 54 after a meal, maybe the timing of your insulin shot is not hitting the peaking of your food.
I think your idea of 30 or so carb grams per meal sounds good. Now you need to research to find out what kind of carb grams.
Most of all I hope you'll research your own body to figure out how far up a low number of grams increases your blood glucose; for example, test when you haven't eaten for 3-4 hours, then take 2 grams of glucose tablet and test in another 3/4 hour. Then you'll know exactly what grams of carbs are raising you.
Then let your blood sugar be at 180 and take one unit of short acting insulin and find out how far your blood sugar drops.
Veggie carbs don't spike. Fruit spikes. For me, starch is not well covered by insulin except in very small gram amounts. You may find that burrito starch is just not able to be covered by insulin. But you will find some types of carbs are slow, not too fast, and predictable. Keep a record.
I have dropped certain fruits from what I prefer to eat, but I can have them if I confine the amount of grams so insulin can actually keep me in target. If a cup of milk shoots you up 161 mm/dL, then it sounds like a gram increases your BG 13 mm/dL. You'll be able to get this under control by working with small numbers of grams and insulin units.

Not shy of posting ...living with d for almost 30 years ; not a low carber , no complications , close to 72 years of age ..and am not trying to compete with Dr. B .Am glad I have tad of meat on my bones including muscle , since I have been in situations, where I lost weight rapidly due to health problems ( 1983 D , 1984 breast cancer ) ...being a bit " heavier" , than Dr. B probably got me back in a" healthy " state very quickly , who knows .

Heres the thing.. thinking your honeymoon is over, need to see GP and or Endo.. But on the other note.. Some people find it easier to control their bg with smaller amounts of carbohydrate, and theres debate on how much is small enough/too much.. but also realize if your active, you will need more carbs for fueling your activities... Also realize that ultra low carbs/no carbs and severely restricted diets were used to prolong life before the advent of insulin.. But there was a price to pay for that.. Your diabetes may vary, and its one of those things youll have to trial and error and really need to get a bit of HCP insight onto the cause of it.

isI am not sure that "if your active, you will need more carbs for fueling...". I think w/ activity, the key thing is to time the carbs w/ your activities, like fuel on board, a concept that most of us would be familiar with? One of my friends is *really* into P90X and eats like 1700 or 1900 calories/ day and is freaking huge. He follows their diet recommendations very closely and works out very hard and all that but dietwise, he's not "carb loading".

Another interesting article BMT2 posted a link to is Dr. Steve Phinney's article about low carbs helping preserve glycogen: LINK. That's been my experience, as long as I arrange things so the carbs are "on board" when I work out, I don't need to load ridiculous amounts of carbs for races. I saw an article in Fitness magazine that had a "pre-marathon diet" rxing 513G of carbs/ day! Eeek!