Sleep Apnea Diagnosis; So many questions!

I have just completed an at-home oxygen saturation test that showed I have severe hypoxia at night. Doctor said I spent 117 minutes below 90% and 13 minutes at 60%. I have been type 1 diabetic since I was three (32 now) and I have anxiety and depression and weight gain, as well as a newfound need for more insulin than usual. I am terrified at what I’m learning about obstructive sleep apnea and type 1 diabetes. I am angry that I’ve likely had this for years. I’ve been told by past boyfriends and family members that I snore and stop breathing, but never took it seriously until now. I have been gaining weight for the past 5 years, and almost always wake up feeling terrible. I’ve been to therapy and take medications for anxiety, which doctor said could be caused by my apnea. He believes I may have obstructive sleep apnea due to enlarged tonsils, and is suggesting a tonsillectomy (they are very big!) I’m hoping that when I am fully oxygenated at night, that some of my symptoms will clear up. Perhaps I’ll look and feel better, need less insulin and can lose wight (I’m currently 50 lbs. overweight and come from a very thin family). I’m just overwhelmed with the idea that I’m suffocating while sleeping. It explains so much about my life. About how hard every day is and how much I’ve overcome to be where I am. I’m scared to sleep and am sleeping on the couch until I can figure this all out. I’ll have another few tests next week and hopefully get a concrete diagnosis. Until then, I’m anxious and obsessing over how my life may be about to change. I think I need to talk to others who’ve experienced this. Please tell me your stories. Thanks so much.

My advice to you is to begin using a C-PAP device ASAP!

I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea about a year ago. My doctor says it does not require treatment, but more severe sleep apnea does, and my understanding is it’s very treatable. In doing some reading, I read a paper abstract that said something like 46% of long-term Type 1s develop mild sleep apnea even when they are not overweight. I’m overweight, but I don’t think that’s the cause of mine. I was recently diagnosed with nasal polyps and have had severe environmental allergies and asthma and other allergic conditions affecting the throat for years, and for me personally I suspect that throat swelling and inflammation is the cause. I do get a bit worried that my doctor is utterly unconcerned and won’t treat nor even re-test me each year to see if it’s gotten worse… Glad that you have a doctor who is taking it seriously and taking the necessary steps. Even though it’s probably a life-changing diagnosis, you’ll probably feel so much better once it’s treated, and getting a diagnosis that explains a lot is never a bad thing in my opinion.

I’m also a T1D with 32 years this month, but at the age of 30. I have three older siblings that have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. They all use C-PAP machines. My oldest sister reported that she now feels rested after a night’s sleep for the first time in years. They also told that they think our father lived with undiagnosed sleep apnea. He worked a job with rotating shifts and often felt sleep deprived.

I intend to follow up with my doctor to screen for sleep apnea. My father died from a series of strokes and my older brother experienced a stroke one year ago. Stroke and cardio vascular disease occurs more frequently in people with sleep apnea. Atrial fibrillation is another consequence of sleep apnea.

If you need C-PAP therapy, don’t be stressed. It will help you to feel better every day. I may very well be going down that path myself. I live by myself and don’t have the feedback from a sleep partner. I do wake up rested almost every day but I will push for the screening, nonetheless, given my T1D and family health history.

I was diagnosed several years ago with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. I stopped breathing upwards of 30 times an hour and at one point stopped breathing for three minutes. According to my sleep doctor my problem is genetic, I basically have a constricted airway. I’ve been on CPAP therapy since being diagnosed and it has helped a lot. Sleep can cause lots of problems beyond just being tired. It can lead to extreme levels of stress as your body screams “emergency” when you stop breathing. Sleep apnea can lead to insulin resistance, extreme levels of Darn Phenomenon and the low levels of oxygen can really effect your brain.

I’d be happy to answer questions.

1 Like

I have used a CPap for several years. Because of wait loss, the doctor related that I am no longer required to have the machine. I still use it. It is jsut a part of what I do.

rick

Did the CPAP make it easier to lose weight?

In my case my sleep dr said that it was unlikely that losing weight would do anything for my apnea. And for some people getting your apnea treated can really help you lose weight. Removing all the stress and improving insulin sensitivity can may make a real difference. In my case, even though I am a type 2 I wasn’t really overweight to begin with and it didn’t have an effect on my weight. It all just depends.

1 Like

Jennifer:

Sadly in my case it did not. I did lose weight but I used my Cpap for a long time, and gained a lot of weight, before I lost wight. when Is tart sleeping better I felt better. Unfortunately losing weight was not tied to feeling better. Which is not to suggest you will not lose weight.

I wish you the very best.

rick