Smiths Medical is planning to discontinue manufacturing the Deltec Cozmo® insulin pump for direct sale

I believe they are “only” leaving the diabetes space (which is no small thing, obviously). The way they worded it on Cozmore.com was:
"…manage a well-controlled exit from the Diabetes business over time. "

I had suspected something was up when I noticed this banner on their home page a few weeks ago:

Obviously no business decision like this comes without some consequences for patients in some way. This web site they've set up for current pump users should help answer most of your questions: http://www.delteccozmoupdate.com/

So we have proved again that YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY and that having options are good.

We are all different-- so it’s good that the pumps are different!

Let’s agree to disagree… and leave it at that!

Yes, you have said YMMV before!! it’s always a good principle to keep in mind!

Dave i dont mean for this to sound rude but this really isnt about the mm pump. this is about what we (cozmo customers) are going to do. as soon as i read this i called cozmo and they told me that anyone who already had a cozmo would be under warranty for the next 4 years, customer service would still be available for us and cozmo pump supplies will still be manufactured (for the next 4 years i guess) but we will have to order from a separate company bc they wont be selling it anymore. the woman i talked to said it was a “financial decision”

Agree with you 100%. This is sad news regardless of which pump you are using. We should have more options, not less, when it comes to our care.

Sign of the times, I guess. Very sad:(

I’m with Dave, you might want to consider plan B since insurance companies usually will not let you get a new pump till yours is out of warranty (4 to 5 years) and it is non functional. Plus do you really want a pump that will have no upgrades coming? It looks like they are going to support existing pumps but no improvements with new features will happen now. I know you must be super irritated because I know you put alot of thought into this decision!

Jesse said he’s going to miss his touch bolus button - the most…

Okay, I got my Cozmo in Aug '08, so I have some time to get ready for a change, but in the meantime,I am wondering about other non-US pumpers. I specifically went with Cozmo because they were the only company that agreed to support me overseas. I am attached to a US Military facility, so I do have a US mailing address, but we can only get US Postal Service deliveries and not FEDEX, UPS, etc. Is there anyone else out there in a similar situation?

Oh I get that banner all the time, but I usually only have a question after 5pm and im usually too lazy to call them fearing I might get a non-english speaker on the phone, no offense but its hard to explain what the pump is doing in terms like “freaking out” and “o-m-g what the hell is it doing?” to some one who doesnt understand the slang :wink:

Dave, the touch bolus botton allows users to deliver a pre-determined amount of insulin at the touch of a button situated so that it can easily be pressed without even removing the pump from, say, a pocket. Designed for discreet or quick bolusing. Does the MM have a similar option?

There said that there will be 30 direct distributors for future supplies. You should contact them and see who will ship overseas.

I also lived abroad while using the Cozmo. I used to just order a bunch of supplies and collect them when I went home. See if they will send you a 6 month or one year supply at once.

Hope that you are able to sort this out without too much difficulty!

Maybe faux bells and whistles - calling their calculation system for boluses a “Bolus Wizard”, for instance. I was thinking more of Animas and the high contrast screen, multiple fun colors; or the Omnipod and their whole “no tubing is cool” thing.
As an FYI, I’m kind of in “rant” mode still so coherence may not be present in my posts. My apologies for that.

Smith’s decision to pull from the pump market is indeed a shock and a wake up call. Shocking, because it is sad to see a choice for us disappear.

However, there may be others on the edge as well. Read their decision carefully: link to press release

To me, it sounds like they want to cut their losses, and that the competition (Medtronic and J&J) have raised the bar too high for companies just focusing on stand alone pumps.

I’m now worried for Roche (Sprint pumps) and Insulet (POD pumps.) I know Insulet are burning $28m a quarter and have only mustered up a $60m funding commitment.

Roche have to be making the same decisions as well. Find divisions not making profits or unable to compete, and cut them.

drew

the touch bolus button is on the side edge of the cozmo… Jesse clicks it once for each 5 grams of carbs… So, if he’s having a 50 gram snack he presses it 10x… then when he’s finished the 10x… it will actually beep back 10x to confirm. then he clicks it one more time to deliver… He doesnt have to look at the screen to do this… he just beeps and eats…its a great idea for a 16 year old who eats continuously…

Late to this thread, but can’t say I’m sorry to see them go. When they first came out they had some really nice features and forced minimed to upgrade their aged software, but I’ve had too many problems with their refurbished replacement pumps dying on me. I’d bet that their poor QC cost them a lot of money in the long run - I’m on my fifth pump in four years.

Thankfully I am just in the process of switching to an animas ping, so I shouldn’t be stuck with the Cozmo for too long.

Ok ay I just got my pump in october 08, after lots of research. I love my Cozmore, no extra blood sugar monitor to haul around, So now I’m like a parent who just adopted a new child to find out that the child is going to leave me.

Ok so we can cry about it, or maybe the other pump companies will take up where Cozmore left off.
Add in the cool features into their pumps and lure us to them by giving us what we wanted in the first place.

We must organize and lobby the other pump companies to buy Cozmore and go from there.

I’m glad I got it when I did, 10 days before the announcement. I’m not too worried about it. I have no insurance and have done this out-of-pocket. I get a kick out of people who are stressing about not being able to get a new pump for 5 years instead of 4 because of insurance. If you want/need one you will find a way to pay.

By the time I’m ready for a new pump, who knows what will be available.

I think the cozmo is the best choice for any “techie”. Most MM users I know are not into or are intimidated by technology like smartphones, pda’s etc. They want the simplest, easiest pump. The cozmo users I know are all of the younger generations.

I thought about trying to return it like I heard others doing but I really didn’t have a second choice.

I’m the minority here in your MM statement. I’m a programmer, with a smart phone and am considered a techie. I have always chosen MM over Coz due to size.

I have to agree with the size part but the tech/ease of use won out over vanity.

Not at all; I have been a Unix developer for 10+ years, and have worked in middleware and messaging.

The pump decision was easy for me; I liked the way mine works, I wanted the ability to upgrade to CGMS and I wanted one less thing to carry.

I looked at Coz and found it a little thick, but I liked the clip on meter. But MM won my business - they had the wireless meter (which I do not use) and CGMS. Their UI is dumbed down, no doubt - but I really don’t want to have to spend a great deal of time under the hood programming my pump.

Hopefully, MM with release some “Coz” features to attract them - I would love to see the easy UI - and then a more complex/programmable UI with the cozmore features.

No doubt, J&J crushed the market with their color screens and wireless meter based control system - also very attractive features.

Market may be shrinking, but we still have good choices.

drew