Sometimes this disease makes me go hmmmm

Its been a while since I posted last and things are going good… My a1c hasn’t risen in the last year and spikes are only spikes if I have too many carbs in a meal, well sometimes…

Last night we went out for dinner (we do this maybe once every 2 months) and I forgot to take my evening meal met. I had chicken and fries, a small piece of bread and then half of a brownie desert. I thought for sure I would be in the mid 250s 1-2 hours after the meal but to my surprise I was only 124 at 1 hour and 109 at 2?

I just don’t get it… If I have 1/2 of one of my low carb pitas (5g carbs) with cucumber, ham and shredded carrots I am 153 at one hour and back to normal at 2 hours… How can my lunch spike me higher than the meal I had last night? Could it be the protein and fat in the meal?

Thanks, Paul

Metformin mostly works slowly building up over a period of weeks. I think that there are a huge number of variables that all compound to make sure that we can never figure out what is going on. It can be really hard to draw any conclusions from any one snapshot. Maybe a small meal is too insignificant to generate a “real” insulin response. Maybe you had a higher fasting glucose before your cucumber meal and had less stored insulin. Sometimes, only over time can we actually figure some of this out and even then everybody has one of those days where nothing makes sense.

My diabetes always makes me go…“hummmmmm???” lol

Fats and proteins in a meal can delay carb absorption. Add some wine to take your liver down a couple notches and a complex meal can have its “peak” not come at the classical 1 or 2 hour peak time you see on all the internet discussion boards, but many many many hours later (like 6 hours).

I look from the T1 side of the fence and look at how well Metformin effectively works and I’m jealous. I’m guessing you’re on metformin? Wow, it works well for you.

Wine at lunch… Now this I like :wink: