Square wave

Can anyone explain square wave and how it works. I can't understand it. I dual wave fine but my doctor said I should square 25% at 2hrs. If anyone can help me with this, it would be great..

Ugh I'm a Type 1 and am pumping for 24 years now and I can't answer it. LOL! I use the dual wave thing too.

A square wave bolus gives you insulin at a steady rate over the time of the square wave, thus if you had a square wave over 2 hours and bolused 4 units, it would administer 2 units/hr over the 2 hours. A dual wave combines a square wave bolus with a regular bolus, giving you an initial bolus all at once and then spreading the rest out as a square wave.

I am not sure what your doctor mean about a 25% square wave. Typically with a square wave, you set the amount of the bolus and the time over which it should act. In the case of a Dual wave, you set the total bolus amount and then set the amount/percentage of the bolus to be administer "now" and then you set the amount of time to administer the remainder as a square wave bolus. It may be that your doctor was referring to a dual wave, but you need to confirm this.

Thanks bsc...

Thank u jujube for posting this and Thank u bsc for an answer. It's been bugging me too b/c I would see the square wave bolus on my pump (my dr has never told me to use it though) and really wondered what it was.

I TAKE PART OF THE BOLUS WHEN I START EATING & THE REST AFTER 30 OR 60 MN. OR WHEN I FINISH MY MEAL.IT WORKS BETTER FOR ME & I DO IT MANUALLY.