Statin caused peripheral neuropathy

I mentioned earlier that I did well on Losarten for BP and then all of the sudden, I got a terrible sore throat with it. I found out what the problem was as to why I was having throat issues. CVS had changed the manufacturer they were dealing with to an new one, and then recently went back to the earlier manufacturer. No more throat problems.
I asked them about this earlier(when I had the problem) and the pharmacist kept saying the medication was the same ( while on some level that was true, it was different in the compounding)

I used to get notifications when size , color and shape change( i.e manufacturer) Do not know how I missed it. I bet doc will raise the dosage now

1 Like

Thanks Jen.

I am getting my B12 tested in about a month. My last blood tests showed low blood counts, so I figured that my B12 was low since I am a vegan. Started taking more B12 about a month ago. I had read that it can cause neuropathy when levels are low. I had forgotten that, so thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

I am sorry to read youā€™re experiencing statin-caused peripheral neuropathy (PN). Your vigilance regarding your health should serve you well in deciding a healthy path forward. Taking effective action should help neutralize the anger you understandably feel.

Iā€™m interested if vitamin B12 helps you treat your PN symptoms. Iā€™ve been taking B12 every day for the last several months.

2 Likes

Regards Lyrica, it has an horrific WD (worse than opiates, I know because I have experienced both) and depending on the dose, it may or may not have terrible side effects (memory loss, blurred vision, weight gain). I certainly wouldnt fancy taking lyrica for the side effects of another drug, and after what I (and many others) have experienced I feel it would be irresponsible at least not to inform you of the negative possibilities I, like you Marilyn, for sometime took a statin (lipitor), once a week as it worked so too effectively at lowering cholesterol. I dont take statins at all now but for a time I ate oyster mushrooms, which contain lovastatin (and other things that affect glucoe and lipid metabolism), I donā€™t remember if you said you tried them but thought Iā€™d mention them as they just may provide less ā€˜sideā€™ effects due to other alkaloids in the plant as well as the statin (with your doctors advice, of course )

How goes that Terry? Iā€™m interested, or would be interested to see (how you feel as I have reports from people with normal-ish levels of B12 who suplemented none the less and had improvements of symptoms?

LOL. funny I have no issues with Lyrica such as you described. Your comment referencing opiates blows my mind. Why not let her talk to her doc and see what they think rather than scaring the heck out of her with such gloomy predictions of problems. Lyrica is widely and safely used by millions when used at an appropiate dosage. My dosage is well within acceptable limits (generally no more than 300mg a day). I take 1/2 of that amount. I would be one miserable puppy were it not for Lyrica as the stinging that I experience hits me at random spots (w/o Lyrica) like needles pricking me one at a time, anywhere on my body. Itā€™s beyond unsettling and impossible to relax for a moment, when it occurs.

Iā€™ve started many nutritional supplements in the last nine months or so. This shot-gun approach doesnā€™t allow me to easily or clearly see if they are doing any good. I can report, however, good overall health with minimal peripheral neuropathy symptons.

A better tactic would have been a B12 blood test before and after taking the supplement for a while. Iā€™m much better with my insulin program!

I may just have to live with my 111 LDL score, which isnā€™t what the cardiologist wants, but I am not going to try another statin. I havenā€™t done the injectable ones, but I am not going to chance it. Canā€™t do oysters since I am on a low fat plant based diet.

For the most part ibuprofen is taking care of the neuropathy but I will try Lyrica if the neuropathy gets any more painful or if the burning keeps waking me up. I will be very mindful of your warning though.

Mostly I am just angry, as if that is doing me any good. All these many years of no neuropathy from having type 1 and I get it from a statin! I suppose it enables me to have more empathy for what many people here are having to deal with.

Iā€™m taking a super low dose (10mg) simvastatin. I dont think there is risk of neuropathy. My doc put me on it because its has a low risk of impacting kidney disease. It has some other risks, though.

Are you 100% sure that this is nephropathy. I think you should see someone about this. What if its cardiac?

I am really used to diagnosing myself after adequate research. My doctor trusts me. Since neuropathy is listed as a side effect of both Zetia and Crestor, I donā€™t know why it wouldnā€™t be neuropathy. It went away when I stopped taking Zetia, but it hasnā€™t since I quit Crestor. I have read that when it is caused by Crestor, it can be non reversible.

My husband takes Simvastatin and it has made him a prediabetic. I have tried taking it twice, but it affects my muscles making it very painful to get out of a car. My muscles do not like it and I refuse to live like that.

The rest of the list of statins either drive my liver enzymes up too high or interfere with the working of my muscles. I have tried them all since I received two heart stents 9 yrs ago.
So far I have completely changed my diet to where I only eat 10% fat, lost another 10 lbs, and started doing daily exercise. My LDL number wonā€™t go any lower without a statin.
I will just have to live with an LDL of 111.

Iā€™m not sure if this is helpful for you, but Iā€™m taking a medication as-needed for stomach issues I have that says on the packaging that itā€™s also used to lower cholesterol. Itā€™s called cholestyramine. Itā€™s a little annoying to take as itā€™s a powder thatā€™s mixed with a liquid that you then need to drink. For me, 5 mg of rosuvastatin (I think this is the same statin you were on) a day lowered my LDL cholesterol to below the bottom of the reference range with no side effects, so I donā€™t need any additional cholesterol lowering and am therefore not sure how well cholestyramine works at lowering cholesterol. But maybe it would be worth discussing with your doctor, as itā€™s a non-statin option?

1 Like

Holy cow, Marilyn. I hope everything gets better. Iā€™m sure that you see a cardiologist. Remember to mention this just in case they have any ideas.

1 Like

And Iā€™m the opposite. I took Pravastatin for about 5 years until my AST and ALT numbers began rising to significantly high levels. I discussed it with my endo and I got another lab slip to retest my blood in 3 weeks after stopping the Pravastatin. My numbers went back down. I got another lab slip and started back on Pravastatin. My numbers elevated again. I stopped the Pravastatin and my AST and ALT went back down so I told my endo ā€œno more statin for meā€. He didnā€™t like that and suggested I give a low dose of Simvastatin a chance. I reluctantly took it and made sure to get another lab test for my liver numbers before much time went by. I was happy to see the numbers were fine. That was more than 4 years ago and they are still fine. My AST and ALT are both under 20.

And another thing about the Pravastatin: it made my legs so weak that I had a very difficult time rising from a squatting position. A few months off of it and my leg strength returned to normal. I wish I had known that the Prav was the cause of my weak legs for several years.

Thanks Jen. I definitely havenā€™t tried that. I will see what my GP thinks at the beginning of next month.

Glad that you figured it out Dave and found a statin that works for you. Many people take statins and have no problems at all, while others suffer all kinds of things, and donā€™t realize that the statins are causing their problems. Frustrating.

1 Like

Exactly. What works for one person may be dangerous or have annoying side effects for someone else. No wonder there are so many drugs on the market.

@Edward2 was referring to a kind of mushroom not actual oysters, which would fit in perfectly with your diet. Oyster mushrooms are little harder to find though.

Oh goodness, of course he said oyster mushrooms. I donā€™t think I have ever heard of them before. Wonder where I could find them. Thanks Firenza.

Chances are, youā€™ve eaten them but just didnā€™t realize it. Theyā€™re predominantly used in Asian cuisine.

1 Like

My mother has fibromyalgia. She took Lyrica a few years ago. She gained 30 pounds in one month. She literally became obsessed with food which was not normal for her. She ceased taking Lyrica because she was afraid of other sides effects like suicide.

Every drug has side effects. Each person must weigh the risks vs. the benefits.