Sudden decrease in insulin needs

I am new to the forum so forgive me if this is not posted correctly…I have suddenly needed to decrease my Lantus from 20 units to 13 this last week due to frequent lows. I have had T1 for 2 years. Have cut dairy, soy and gluten from my diet in the last week, that is the only change I’ve made. Any ideas?

1 Like

Yes - it’s possible that you have a sensitivity to one or all of those food categories that you cut out - your previous basal may have been supporting your body’s immune response to the irritant(s). With the problem out of your diet, you need less insulin to maintain proper blood glucose… Just a guess…

3 Likes

Thank you! I actually cut them out to see if it would help with some other inflammation, but I wouldn’t have thought it would cause a change that quickly. I thought it took a few weeks, but it does seem a likely culprit given timing I suppose…Food sensitivity testing is also in progress so I guess we shall see.

1 Like

Funny, the results came in just now, but she ordered true food allergy testing, which is not the same as food sensitivity testing. No true food allergies-yay! but it looks like the elimination diet is going to have to go forward as planned…

3 Likes

Dairy has lactose in it and it drives my blood sugar nuts. The same happens with yogurt for me. I do not know how much or when were having it but one glass a milk a day could easily account for about that much insulin for me.