Sugar free jello?

I recently started buying SF jello, which I haven’t bought in awhile. The first time I spiked so much I was convinced that I had mistakenly bought regular. But now I have bought three separate containers and seem to be spiking each time. These are the small individual servings. They say 10 cals but no carbs ?? I have never had the problem of artificial sweeteners making my BS rise, but I have heard this claim from others. I have been eating them after dinner…maybe I will have to try eating them “alone” without other food to make sure it is really them doing the deed? Thoughts?

I have the same experience & I can’t figure it out/.Sugar free jello with a no carb whip topping was my sugar fix. No longer - I’m changing to berries with splenda and real cream.

Are there any sugar alcohols listed–malitol, sorbitol? I can’t handle these without spikes. Sugar alcohols pass right through some people. Other people, like me, can actually metabolize sugar alcohols & they act like regular sugar on BG. Maybe the ingredients have recently changed that it now effects you.

I bought some a while back without reading the label. When I got home I was surprised to see malto dextrin listed as an ingredient. Malto dextrin is a sugar that's not very sweet. It's composed of a chain of glucose molecules which are easily broken down and rapidly absorbed by the body hence the effect on your blood sugar.

I don't understand how our food laws can permit this product to be labeled 'sugar free'.

Since diagnosis I've become an inveterate label reader, and this is not the only case of a 'sugar free' product being unsuitable for me. Unfortunately you have to read the labels and become familiar with a whole host of ingredients to be safe from surprises like you got. Anything the ends with ose (as in dextrose) may be a sugar. Things ending with tol ( like malitol) could be a sugar alcohol. Erythritol is a sugar alcohol which is safe for most diabetics the others are problematic.

Another thing to watch for is the ingredients in artificial sweeteners especially those in individual packets. They are often cut with dextrose which is another name for glucose. Go figure.

Yep, I think they contain sugar alcohols. Those DO raise my blood sugar (not sure if it is as much as regular carbs or not). They also give me an upset stomach! I avoid sugar alcohols, which are increasingly common in “sugar free” products.

So many foods contain maltodextrin as a ‘filler’. Powder splenda also contains maltodextrin. It does have some carbs. I do use powdered Splenda and count 11g of carbs per cup. When possible though, I use liquid sucralose instead.

BadMoon,

Truth in labeling, huh? If a food has below a certain amount of sugar or carbs per serving, it's allowed to be listed as 0 carbs & 0 sugars. Of course, the rub is that what the label constitutes as a serving is not always the amount a person uses, so the sugars sneak in & can add up.

Time of day can also factor in. I had trouble with artificial sweetner packets in the morning because of dawn phenomenon, so I changed brands to one cut with soluble fiber. The same stuff in the evening was OK.

Yup!! I used to eat them at night when I was hungry and could eat no carbs…not for long!! They spiked me! The ones that you mix yourself out of the box spiked me even worse! How frustrating, can’t even eat friggin sugar free no carb jello!! haha

It is always important to remember that "sugar-free" does not mean "carb-free." And it is also true that any loophole will be employed to "scam" you. Sugar-Free Jello is a good example. First, here are the ingredients:

Gelatin, Adipic Acid (for Tartness), Disodium Phosphate (Controls Acidity), Maltodextrin (from Corn), Fumaric Acid (for Tartness), Aspartame (Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine.) (Sweetener), Contains Less than 2% of Artificial Flavor, Acesulfame Potassium (Sweetener), Salt, Blue 1, Red 40.

I don't know about you, but I define Maltodextrin as "sugar."

Second, it turns out that you don't have to report carb levels less than 1g, so if you make the serving size really small, it can "appear" as though there are no carbs. Who here considers a package of jello to actually have eight servings? I consider it one, maybe two servings.

Good idea to try it by itself.

I heard a lady claim that Crystal Lite raises her bg. She was told there was nothing in it to raise her bg and it must be something else. She left the meeting very angry and never returned.

Sf jello and crystal lite don't bother me at all.

but

Everytime I use SF kool aide I read higher.

I'd be interested in knowing how your experiment with the sf jello turns out.

brn

I have never heard of Crystal light raising blood sugar! But I guess that we are all different.

Sugar free = no sucrose.

Sucrose is essentially table sugar, derived from sugar cane or sugar beets. All the other things we talk about as being sugars (fructose, lactose, etc.) are not, by law, sugars which need to be placed on the packaging OTHER than in the list of ingredients and on the nutrition facts. That's why it's important to forget the advertising and look at those places.

Let me know after having it alone if it still spike.

I am wondering if they reformulated it? I used to eat it and never noticed a problem.

But SF jello gelatin does say it is carb free. The serving size I ate was so small (individual pre-made containers...smaller than a yogurt- listed as one serving) and it was actually a true, single serving serving.

For me, at least hypothetically, it shouldn't matter whether there is sugar in it or not. If it says "0 carbs" I should not have a problem. Jello also makes a mousse that is sugar free but lists 12 carbs....so I have had that and bolused for 12 carbs and it works. I am just so confused by this gelatin issue and disappointed because it used to be a good way for me to satisfy my sweet tooth.

Been trying to eat sugar free Jello before bed as a snack since I’m pregnant and starving and every SINGLE time I spike 40 points or more!!

When I had my Colonosopy I had regular Jello since that was all I was eating and it did not go up that much. I otherwise do not eat Jello.

Make your own SF at home and it’s zero carbs.

How do you make your own? Please share?