Sugar Free Milk Chocolate vs Sugar Added Milk Chocolate-What do you think

OK…I love chocolate. Dove makes a good sugar free dark chocolate, but its expensive, not easy to find and frankly I prefer milk chocolate. I’ve tried making my own several times with disappointing results. So I find myself looking at Russell Stover’s Sugar Free Fine Chocolate Candy Bar and an Endangered Species brand All Natural Smooth Milk Chocolate Bar.

So my question is this…Which one is the better choice (blood sugar speaking). Here are the facts:
Russell Stover (partial nutritional info)
Serving size is half bar (41g)
Calories 190
Fat 14g
Carbs 23g
Fiber 1g
Sugars 0g
Sugar Alcohol 21g
"Ingredients consist of chocolate candy {Maltitol, chocolate, cocoa butter, sodium castinate (milk), milk fat, soy lecithin/an emulsifier, sucralose, natural and artificial flavor, and salt}.

Endangered Species (partial nutritional info)
Serving size is half bar (43g)
Calories 220
Fat 17g
Carbs 20g
Fiber 2g
Sugars 15g
Ingredients: Milk chocolate (chocolate liquor, milk, unbleached water-filtered beet sugar, cocoa butter, lactose, soy lecithin, vanilla).

Its important to note that the chocolate bar with sugar has less carbs than the sugar-free chocolate. I would never eat 1/2 of a bar per serving, more like 1/8 of a bar. For the record, I don’t care about the calorie or fat grams. So if we are just looking at effects on blood sugar, which is the better choice? Why?

Each person will be effected by the same foods differently. In addition, you need to be mindful of some sugar alcohols such as Sorbitol, which causes diarrhea in many people… Sugar alcohols and or “net carbs” DO effect your blood sugar levels. However, sugar alcohols do not raise sugar significantly, but it does depend on the individual’s body.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/sugar-…

also

http://www.thedietchannel.com/What-Are-Sugar-Alcohols.htnm

If you’re not effected by sugar alcohols (malitol, sorbitol & the other “tols”), then the Rusell Stover bar has less carbs since you can subtract the sugar alcohols from the carbs for net carbs of 5 grams.

Most people don’t metabolize sugar alcohols & they pass through the GI tract. In quantity, they can cause gas, bloating & diarhhea. Some people do metabolize sugar alcohols & the effect is the same as sugar on BG. These people don’t experience gastric distress.

I’m not a fan of sugar alcohols or artificial sweeteners, so my choice for chocolate is 80% dark chocolate, which is relatively low carb.

Honestly, I’d be careful with either one of them… Because they have a lot of fat, and when you mix high carb and high fat… You’re chances of spiking pretty much triple… Sugar alcohol does make you spike, and depending on the type of sugar alcohol… some spike you 50% as much as sugar, and some spike you 75% as much as sugar. Or even almond milk…

It is very very common for the “sugar free” variant of something to have more carbs than the “regular” variant of something.

I think what they do, is take sweeteners that are not carb-free but not sugar and put then in. This way they can claim “sugar free”.

I think that maltitol may be the culprit here. It takes more grams of maltitol to have the same sweetness as sugar.

You say you don’t care about fat grams, but you can actually use them to your advantage: My experience with chocolate and other high-fat candy, is that the fat delays the absorption of the sugar. This can make it easier to match with insulin. The really really good chocolate actually has a good amount of fat; it’s the cheap chocolate that has less fat.

I love chocolate and eat the 70% cocoa Lindt chocolate. I usually have one square each evening before my walk (about 3g carbs) and it does nothing to my BG…

I’ve read a lot about the alcohol sugars causing gas and diarrhea so don’t even want to try that. I think for me a small amount of the real stuff is better than more of the fake stuff…

3 grams is very good portion control… :slight_smile: 20 or 23 grams of carbs, with a lot of fat in it, though… and I’m not so confident anymore. lol

I agree with what many others are saying…I go for the very dark, real chocolate. 70% and up. It’s actually good for you in limited quantities. :slight_smile:

In general, I’m a real, whole foods type of eater. I don’t eat processed, artificial foods very often…I find it much easier, at least with a pump, to bolus for real foods (even if they contain more carbs) versus processed stuff.