Super Bolus

Great explanation, Ricardo - as usual.

And a great rule of thumb for carbs in general. If my carbs aren’t coming from low glycemic fruits (like berries) or veggies then, for grains, I’m choosing the “biggest bang for the buck” - very high fiber whole grain products. I rarely eat any super-fast metabolizing carbs because I just hate the feeling as I start to rise - OR I bolus way, way ahead of time and try to be as accurate as possible. But mostly I just avoid it…just doesn’t seem worth it to me.

Hi Jim -

Please feel free to ask questions about TAG - we’re all more than happy to help!

Thanks, as you can probably tell, I am getting myself confused. I have never been part of the “one size fits all” thinking and now I am getting myself in trouble. I need to step back and look at these different philosophies separately. This way I can learn each one individually and then later, look at them together.

Hi Cheri,

Thanks.

You sound very disciplined. I guess you have to be disciplined to be a low carber. I can be disciplined, but sometimes I have a sweet tooth.

Actually, I think low carbing is “easier” in many ways. First, I usually don’t experience hunger - that is a great benefit. Second, I can still have sweets, they just have to be Splenda sweets. Third, I think I’ve found that “door” or “switch” in my head that says, “hey, food is just not that important in the grand scheme of things.”

Cheers,
Cheri

That’s great. Does ice cream elevate your BG later? You don’t mention an extended bolus - does that mean that you did not utilize TAG? And am I doing that math right - did you reduce your bolus by .30 units and not add the basal you turned off to the original bolus? Does all that together mirror that TAG approach? I’m looking forward to your tutelage, Danny. :slight_smile: Sorry for the litany of questions.

Thanks Danny. You clearly know what to do - it’s no accident you had double 111 - very impressive.

Ice cream results in highs later for Caleb, but frozen yogurt does not. We opt for froyo as a result and with so many yummy flavors these days, we don’t miss the added fat :).

When you say turn off basal how is that accomplished? Would you do a temp basal at 0% for say 2 hours? I understand the rest of the math.

Hi Richard!

Yes, set temp basal to zero. That’s precisely what we do.

Lorraine