Surgery, insulin pump and cgm?

I use an Animas Vibe pump and a Dexcom CGM. About 2 months ago, I underwent a procedure involving day surgery (repair of an umbilical hernia) and a general anaesthetic. The anaesthesia lasted around 45 mins. The surgery was carried out at the hospital where my Diabetes Clinic is located, and the surgery team liased with the Diabetes team. I was scheduled for the first procedure in the morning which meant getting up at around 4 am in order to be at the hospital at 7.00 am. I had to fast for at least 12 hours and we agreed that I should aim to have my BG at around 8 mmol/L. In fact my CGM Lo alarm went off at around 4.00 am with my BG at around 3.5. With a couple of glucose tabs and some judicious use of a Temp Basal, I managed to tweak it up to around 5.5 by the time I arrived (still lower than I would have liked).

I showed the anaesthesiologist how to access my CGM readings on the pump and also how to disconnect in case of “emergency”. My BG was tested by fingerstick at least 4 or 5 times in the couple of hours before administration of the anaesthetic. Last thing before administration of the anaesthetic, I set a -50% Temp Basal. I was in recovery by mid-morning and re-set my basal to normal. I was allowed home around 5.30 pm. During the day my CGM readings (and the numerous fingersticks by the nursing team) sat fairly steadily at around 8. I had some lunch (soup and a roll) and bolused for it as normal.

All straightforward and 10/10 for the surgical and nursing team! I don’t think they had dealt with many adult pump patients (in Scotland pumps are much more common with chlldren) and they were actually very impressed with how steady my levels remained during the day. I found them helpful and interested!

All in all a good experience.

Joel