Switch from Minimed cgms (more than a year old) to Dexcom 7 Plus approved by United

United has approved our switch from the Minimed cgms to the Dexcom 7 Plus (we would have had to order a new transmitter from Minimed as our system is more than a year old). I have high hopes that she will find this cgms comfortable to wear. I already know she will lose the receiver, as she does all her cell phones. Ultimately, it came down to the fact that the device must be comfortable for a child to wear. Thanks to all the members who gave me ideas on how to carry the receiver. If we can get her to wear it all summer, I think by then she will be used to it. Have heard nothing but rave reviews on the Dex 7 Plus. Will certainly help cut down on all those finger-sticks if it is as accurate as advertised.

Could be good! But I think that a more likely problem than losing the receiver is drowning it. Unlike MM, Dexcom’s receiver has absolutely no water resistance, so check carefully before running the clothes washer.

LOL, I have almost washed one of her cell phones. I will be sure to check all pant pockets.

Jan, I have been active on CWD also-- and use the same nick (“rickst29”) everywhere. If United has negotiated a contract with Dexcom, to be an “in-network” provider, then you might be delightfully surprised to see how much the contract price is rduced from retail-- and this matters a lot if your DME is limited to a maximum of only $1500- $3000 per year.

Maybe Dexcom has different prices for different areas of the country? I have seen cheaper mentioned, but for us the initial kit, with transmitter, receiver and three sensors is $1,200. I forgot to ask how much each new set of sensors cost; know it’s more than MM, but, hey, I think she will be able to tolerate the Dexcom. Insurance did say they would pay, but it takes a while for the paperwork, so it will be a couple of weeks. I don’t think she has a low cap on DME. I believe the pump is DME and that was paid for. Not sure if the sets are DME. So far insurance has paid for everything. Basically, as I mentioned to the Dexcom Rep, United does not even look at DME if it is under $500. So if Dexcom could repackage the initial set differently, they could easily get it through United’s insurance without paperwork. If you could put in for the receiver, transmitter and sensors separately and if the price on each was lower than $500, it would go right through. However transmitter is $699, Receiver $599, I think, and sensors would be less. If Dex charged $400, $400 and $400 for each piece, they would get their $1,200 and it would go under DME without inquiry by the insurance company. No approval process would be necessary.

It’s not different prices per Region, it’s different prices per contract and promotional offer, and flat-out negotiation. But if she WON’T be running into a “maximum DME per year” limit, then I’d love to see Dexcom get full list price. (They certainly DO need the revenue, and you said “insurance has paid for everything so far”.) Your idea of separate orders is interesting, did the Dexcom Rep run it by the insurance reimbursement people at Dexcom? If you don’t know, then I’d call Dexcom directly, rather than ask the Rep.

The person I spoke to on the phone thought the idea was “brilliant” LOL. But this could just be United’s policy of not questioning DME under $500 and they are paying for everything anyway. It is something to consider, though, the way insurance bills. My sister is an R.N. and very familiar with billing issues. Each insurance is different, I think Dex and the pump companies would be wise to bone up because creative billing could help sell many more units. I hope Dexcom is doing well financially? I definitely would want them to stay in business; I think they have a great product. And the mail has not even arrived yet, but supposed to come Fed Ex by Monday.

P.S. to this Post: Dexcom WOULD be receiving the same amount of $1,200. Just instead of sending the introductory unit at $1,200, they would send the Receiver at $400 (it’s $699 or $599), the Transmitter at $400 (it’s $699 or $500 something) and the three sensors at $400. Same total, just breaking up the introductory kit and billing it and sending it in three pieces so it goes under the $500 cap. If under $500, not even looked at.

HELLO JAN,I USE THE MM CGMS WITH MM 722 PUMP NOW,I AM LOOKING INTO THE DEXCOM 7PLUS,WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE USED THE DEX 7 PLUS.EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE READ IS NEG.I AM PLEASED WITH MM SO FAR,BUT DO NOT LIKE ALL THE TUBING WITH MY MINIMED MACHINES.CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY HAVE USE THE DEXCOM 7PLUS AND IF YOU HAD PROBLEMS WITH IT.THANK YOU///ODESSA

HELLO TO ANYONE ,PLEASE TELL ME WHAT KIND OF PROBLEMS YOU HAVE HAD WITH THE DEX 7 PLUS?

Odessa, we have received Dex 7 Plus but we have not yet started up (she had back surgery; fine now). We will start Dex 7 Plus within the month. I have read nothing negative about the Dex 7 Plus, usually that it is mega accurate. I think it is the best of the bunch. It is possible for the sensors to fail due to improper calibration, placement, taping, etc. Since Dex 7 Plus is relatively pain-free compared to MM, I’m hoping we will have better luck with it. MM I had great luck at first, then it must have been placed wrong. However, it was never accurate regarding catching quick jumps or drops in BGs (i.e., sensor would alarm at 180 and she would already be 280; sensor would alarm at 90 and she would be 60). Main gripe, huge introducer needle and I am annoyed MM did not come out with a smaller needle for pediatric cases, especially. It is possible, though not probable, that sensors do not work well for some. I have read that; not sure if it is true. If she will wear this sensor, even one week on, one week off, I can really fine-tune basals and test out food combinations and type of boluses for same. Regardless, it is wearing two sites and can be a PITA. Despite what studies have indicated about part time use, I know we can use the Dexcom to advantage, even part time. It would be beyond wonderful if she would want to wear it all the time.

Hi, you will still have tubing if you use the Minimed pump (or any pump, with the exception of the Omni Pod). The one great plus about MM pump/cgms is that it is integrated. In our case, my niece will have to wear her MM pump, carry her Freestyle meter and carry the Dexcom receiver. That is a lot of baggage. However, since I notice lately she always carries one tiny mini-purse which is all the rage, I could easily put the Dex receiver in it. And put it somewhere near her when she is home. I would prefer integrated pump/cgms as I just KNOW she will lose the receiver… loses her cell phone all the time.

Having an intergrated system is ideal, but only if it works. I personally feel that the minimed system with intergrated CGMS is perfect in theory, but lacking in practice. I fought really hard for it, used it for 1.5 years, and am now so dissappointed with it’s accuracy that I am seeking coverage from insurance for using the dexcom seven plus. I am hoping that making the decision to carry another device around proves worth the effort. I was happy with the size and convenience of the minimed one-device-only setup, but if the CGMS portion is not giving the expected results, then I have decided that a two-device-setup is the way to go. Wish me luck…

Dexcom will integrate with Animas by the end of this year, I have read. In any case, integration is in the works. Love MM pump, feel it is very reliable, and don’t feel Animas is as sturdy, though if you have a problem, Animas will replace the pump immediately, great customer service. Probably, by the time Animas does this, Minimed will have another generation cgms, hopefully, with a smaller needle. But don’t want to wait another year to use cgms, even if she will only use it part time. I am reading Dexcom 7 Plus is very accurate.