Symlin and Nausea

Been using Symlin for about a year with mostly success. It doesn't work as well as it did and I am having to use other options along with it. However, using the Symlin does cause me to feel nauseated each and every time I use it. Perhaps not for everyone so this is for those with similar issues. I found apple cider vinegar tablets at a health food store (and they smell pretty strong when opening the bottle). I found if I take 2 tablets then inject the Symlin, no nausea! Just wanted to share in case others have the same issue.

Thank you! I am considering starting on Symlin and a little worried about the nausea and injection site pain.

It is very dependent on the amount used also. I dropped my dose to 120 and am not bothered by the nausea too much, if at all. It does burn in some areas…not all but the burn only lasts a few seconds.

I used Symlin too for a month. It was horrible. Its supposed to suppress your appetite so the nausea to be expected. It kicks in so you don’t eat too much. The problem is, if you bolus for a certain amount and then you don’t eat that amount you have a terrible low to deal with. Not only that, but It would work against me later. I would be so hungry later on. I hated it. I was mostly very worried about the lows that many people warned me about. In all reality, I don’t think I gave it much of a chance. I ended up going on Invokana and that worked so much better for me.
Busybee

That is true of course however my diet is very strict so I learned to bolus very little. I take less than 10u a day of the fast acting stuff. After being on Symlin for so long, it doesn’t work as well. I am also taking Invokana though so I use both together. The insulin antibodies are so high for me that my resistance is difficult to overcome. I had to come up with several options and for now its Invokana+Symlin. It does get better over time. I think for me it was about 2 months or so before the nausea improved. When I started to double the Symlin dose the nausea came back pretty bad which is where I found the apple cider vinegar pills. Adding the Invokana allowed me to reduce it back to a normal dose so I don’t get nauseated.

1 Like