Symlin Users

My Endo recently told me about symlin to help me lose weight (especially the 20 i gained from insulin), and i just read about it on another post, so my question is… Who uses it on here? and If you do or someone you know does, have they lost weight? a little or alot?

Symlin
Indications & Dosage

SYMLIN®
(pramlintide acetate) Injection

WARNING

SYMLIN is used with insulin and has been associated with an increased risk of insulin-induced severe hypoglycemia, particularly in patients with type 1 diabetes. When severe hypoglycemia associated with SYMLIN use occurs, it is seen within 3 hours following a SYMLIN injection. If severe hypoglycemia occurs while operating a motor vehicle, heavy machinery, or while engaging in other high-risk activities, serious injuries may occur. Appropriate patient selection, careful patient instruction, and insulin dose adjustments are critical elements for reducing this risk.
DRUG DESCRIPTION

SYMLIN® (pramlintide acetate) Injection is an antihyperglycemic drug for use in patients with diabetes treated with insulin. Pramlintide is a synthetic analog of human amylin, a naturally occurring neuroendocrine hormone synthesized by pancreatic beta cells that contributes to glucose control during the postprandial period. Pramlintide is provided as an acetate salt of the synthetic 37-amino acid polypeptide, which differs in amino acid sequence from human amylin by replacement with proline at positions 25 (alanine), 28 (serine), and 29 (serine).

The structural formula of pramlintide acetate is as shown:

Lys-Cys-Asn-Thr-Ala-Thr-Cys-Ala-Thr-Gln-Arg-Leu-Ala-Asn-Phe- Leu-Val-His-Ser-Ser-Asn-Asn-Phe-Gly-Pro-Ile-Leu-Pro-Pro-Thr- Asn-Val-Gly-Ser-Asn-Thr-Tyr-NH2 acetate (salt) with a disulfide bridge between the two Cys residues.

Pramlintide acetate is a white powder that has a molecular formula of C171H267N51O53S2· x C2H4O2 (3< x <8); the molecular weight is 3949.4. Pramlintide acetate is soluble in water.

SYMLIN is formulated as a clear, isotonic, sterile solution for subcutaneous (SC) administration. SYMLIN vials contain 0.6 mg/mL of pramlintide (as acetate), 2.25 mg/mL of metacresol as a preservative, D-mannitol as a tonicity modifier, and acetic acid and sodium acetate as pH modifiers. SYMLIN has a pH of approximately 4.0.

Last updated on RxList: 4/9/2008
INDICATIONS

SYMLIN is given at mealtimes and is indicated for:

• Type 1 diabetes, as an adjunct treatment in patients who use mealtime insulin therapy and who have failed to achieve desired glucose control despite optimal insulin therapy.
  • Type 2 diabetes, as an adjunct treatment in patients who use mealtime insulin therapy and who have failed to achieve desired glucose control despite optimal insulin therapy, with or without a concurrent sulfonylurea agent and/or metformin.

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION

SYMLIN dosage differs depending on whether the patient has type 2 or type 1 diabetes (see below). When initiating therapy with SYMLIN, initial insulin dose reduction is required in all patients (both type 2 and type 1) to reduce the risk of insulin-induced hypoglycemia. As this reduction in insulin can lead to glucose elevations, patients should be monitored at regular intervals to assess SYMLIN tolerability and the effect on blood glucose, so that individualized insulin adjustments can be initiated. If SYMLIN therapy is discontinued for any reason (e.g., surgery or illnesses), the same initiation protocol should be followed when SYMLIN therapy is re-instituted (see below).
Initiation of SYMLIN therapy
Patients With Insulin-using Type 2 Diabetes

In patients with insulin-using type 2 diabetes, SYMLIN should be initiated at a dose of 60 mcg and increased to a dose of 120 mcg as tolerated.

Patients should be instructed to:

• Initiate SYMLIN at 60 mcg subcutaneously, immediately prior to major meals;
  • Reduce preprandial, rapid-acting or short-acting insulin dosages, including fixed-mix insulins (70/30) by 50%;
  • Monitor blood glucose frequently, including pre- and post-meals and at bedtime;
  • Increase the SYMLIN dose to 120 mcg when no clinically significant nausea has occurred for 3-7 days. SYMLIN dose adjustments should be made only as directed by the health care professional. If significant nausea persists at the 120 mcg dose, the SYMLIN dose should be decreased to 60 mcg;
  • Adjust insulin doses to optimize glycemic control once the target dose of SYMLIN is achieved and nausea (if experienced) has subsided. Insulin dose adjustments should be made only as directed by the health care professional;
  • Contact a health care professional skilled in the use of insulin to review SYMLIN and insulin dose adjustments at least once a week until a target dose of SYMLIN is achieved, SYMLIN is well-tolerated, and blood glucose concentrations are stable.

Patients With Type 1 Diabetes

In patients with type 1 diabetes, SYMLIN should be initiated at a dose of 15 mcg and titrated at 15-mcg increments to a maintenance dose of 30 mcg or 60 mcg as tolerated.

Patients should be instructed to:

• Initiate SYMLIN at a starting dose of 15 mcg subcutaneously, immediately prior to major meals;
  • Reduce preprandial, rapid-acting or short-acting insulin dosages, including fixed-mix insulins (e.g., 70/30) by 50%;
  • Monitor blood glucose frequently, including pre- and post-meals and at bedtime;
  • Increase the SYMLIN dose to the next increment (30 mcg, 45 mcg, or 60 mcg) when no clinically significant nausea has occurred for at least 3 days. SYMLIN dose adjustments should be made only as directed by the health care professional. If significant nausea persists at the 45- or 60-mcg dose level, the SYMLIN dose should be decreased to 30 mcg. If the 30-mcg dose is not tolerated, discontinuation of SYMLIN therapy should be considered;
  • Adjust insulin doses to optimize glycemic control once the target dose of SYMLIN is achieved and nausea (if experienced) has subsided. Insulin dose adjustments should be made only as directed by the health care professional;
  • Contact a health care professional skilled in the use of insulin to review SYMLIN and insulin dose adjustments at least once a week until a target dose of SYMLIN is achieved, SYMLIN is well-tolerated, and blood glucose concentrations are stable.

Once Target Dose of SYMLIN Is Achieved in Type 2 or Type 1 Patients

After a maintenance dose of SYMLIN is achieved, both insulin-using patients with type 2 diabetes and patients with type 1 diabetes should be instructed to:

• Adjust insulin doses to optimize glycemic control once the target dose of SYMLIN is achieved and nausea (if experienced) has subsided. Insulin dose adjustments should be made only as directed by a health care professional;
  • Contact a health care professional in the event of recurrent nausea or hypoglycemia. An increased frequency of mild to moderate hypoglycemia should be viewed as a warning sign of increased risk for severe hypoglycemia.

We have over 100 members here on TuD in the Symlin Users group, and a lot of great discussion threads. Most users have had good results. My doctor had me try it back in '04 or '05. I never did get the hang of the nausea, so I scrapped it before giving it a full try. Best of luck to you!

oh really? i didnt know they had a symlin users group… ill check it out. I am going to hopefully be starting both the Omni pod and symlin after i see her on July 31st, so i guess i wanna know how pod users use it as well, if they give the symlin same time as the bolus or how long before or after. Guess i have a month to really study it before i use it.

Tiffany…
I’ve been using Symlin for about 3 weeks…I take 60 units half hour before each meal. YES, I have lost weight,so far about 10 llbs…4 more to go. I started in 15 unit increments…till I reached 60 units . Never got nauseous.
I also lost weight when I stopped using Levemir and went on the pump with Novolog.
I am now a happy woman…getting happier all the time… :slight_smile:

really, cool, i need to lose atleast 20 to be happy 40 would be great.

do you use the pen or syringes? if the pen… are they same needles as for the insulin pens

keep us up to date on how much you lose. How much insulin are you pumping right now?