T1s & T2s

Why is it that there is such a divide between T1s and T2s? I love to watch youtube videos and some of them it seems so much like T1s want to make a point they are not T2s. Why does everyone have to down T2s like they willingly brought it on. On one of the videos the person stressed that his diabetes was not cause by poor eating, weight gain or poor lifestyle choices. Why not make videos to appeal to both diabetics?

3 Likes

People are people. And diabetics are too.

1 Like

I suspect that it has something to do with the amount of misinformation out there. Most people don’t know the difference between the two types, and assume all diabetes is type 2, which leads to people buying sugar free foods for type 1 diabetics, asking them why they haven’t tried metformin before insulin, and suggesting that they could cease being insulin dependent if only they would exercise more. That’s pretty frustrating for type 1s who will always be insulin dependent, regardless of healthy lifestyle. And many type 1s were diagnosed as children (while very few type 2s are diagnosed as children), which leads to different life experiences.

Probably also because treatment types differ (especially in the earlier stages of type 2). And so, when talking about how they manage their diabetes, knowing this information is relevant. And besides, regardless of type, everyone’s diabetes is different in their bodies, and so some people like to stress this. What works for them might not work for you, and vice-versa.

6 Likes

Our society is enamored of playing the Blame Game. And people like to blame overweight people for screwing up so they don’t have to look at all that is wrong in their own lives. AND—it is pure propaganda to sell more drugs.

Big Pharma would like us to stay sickly–at least as far as T2 drugs and statins are concerned. The fact that more and more T2s are getting smart and going to insulin when diet, exercise and metformin don’t help—given the current outrageous cost of insulin, is also good for them (and I believe it is the right thing to do, don’t get me wrong)…

When I was dx a decade+ ago, I got no advice and was given no opportunity to discuss options. When I stumbled into TuD, 6 months after dx, I finally began to understand that, “It’s the carbs stupid.”…

There is also simple human nature that can be manipulated to believe that you are supreme in your suffering ( a manipulation we in the USA have seen used to good effect in our recent elections so that good, well meaning folks vote against their own best interests).

I think of it as a sort of playground taunt—I hurt more than you do.

Personally, I don’t believe that Misery is a competition…

9 Likes

I have been on the fence as far as what type I am. I was originally diagnosed as a T2 because i’m overweight so immediately its an assumption. At this point I live and do whatever will get me thru the day. Im insulin dependent on a pump. It took a long time to gain stability. When you say people assume right away that a T1 is a T2 and give advice it sounds like it is shameful to be a T2. Why are T1s so offended to be associated with T2. Aren’t we all diabetic at the end of the day. I was told by my doctor that no matter what I do whether lose weight or anything I will still be diabetic. When you watch these youtubes or information on diabetes the classification that it is for T1s and excludes those temporary not real diabetic T2s. I can understand that some T2s pop a pill a day and they are fine then you have a T1 who cant eat a cracker without the #s swinging out of control. To whatever degree of your diabetes you are diabetic today. I don’t understand why T1s get so bent out of shape or go to extremes to separate themselves. I know this is extreme but it reminds me of racism. How dare you mistaken me for a T2! I have struggled in my journey. I have had to learn from any diabetic I can reach out too and I never ask which they have cause when your drowning you grab onto anything that will help. So why not embrace that we are part of the same community.

5 Likes

Well my diabetes is definitely cooler than your diabetes…such silliness. I agree…it doesn’t matter what type you have, it is a struggle for all of us. I’ll often get “you’re diabetic, but you’re not overweight?,” followed by the “I have a friend/relative who made poor choices and ate their way to diabetes.” I’ll then patiently explain that all forms are genetic, and that they can be triggered, exacerbated and managed in a multitude of ways. What I find frustrating is still encountering medical professionals who believe the myth that T2’s brought it on themselves. The other thing I find sad and disheartening is encountering T2’s who’ll come to me shortly after initial diagnosis looking for advice and support who’ll then just go into denial and do little to nothing about it. This is often perpetuated by a poorly informed GP who might just tell them to lose weight, exercise more, and your diabetes will be “reversed,” when there is so much evidence out there that anything that relies on willpower alone has a low chance of success.

8 Likes

I think humans easily buy-in to the framing of human behavior in terms of the religious “seven deadly sins.” From wikipedia:

The seven deadly sins, also known as the capital vices or cardinal sins, is a grouping and classification of vices of Christian origin.[1] Behaviors or habits are classified under this category if they directly give birth to other immoralities.[2] According to the standard list, they are pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, and sloth,[2] which are also contrary to the seven virtues. These sins are often thought to be abuses or excessive versions of one’s natural faculties or passions (for example, gluttony abuses one’s desire to eat).

This framing jumps to the conclusion that bad consequences naturally and almost always flow from willfully chosen immoral behavior. From the list above, gluttony and sloth fit nicely into society’s all-too-quick condemnation that type II diabetics eat too much (gluttony) and don’t exercise enough (sloth) and therefore they have brought this consequence on themselves and are to blame.

I totally reject this moral framing because science tells us otherwise. Science is starting to uncover the genetic component of T2D. We now can see that it may very well mean that T2D itself caused both the weight gain and the ultimate T2D symptoms.

Just because T2D symptoms occurred after weight gain does not prove a causal relationship. The illogical conclusion between the apparent sequence of events in T2D, eating too much, weight gain and then diabetes, does not mean a causal cascade. It’s an easy logical fallacy to fall prey to and most unfortunate for people who not only need to deal with the treatment of their T2D but also must deal with the social ignorance as well as the related blame and shame.

9 Likes

Oh @Judith_in_Portland, thank you SO much for bringing back “Parallel Walking”. It was one of the most beautiful stories I ever read here.

For those of you new here, when I joined TuDiabetes 9 years ago, Judith was one of the very first people to welcome me to the “pack” and who made me feel surrounded by loving, friendly support. It’s part of the core beliefs of TuDiabetes that we focus on our common “scourge” and look for ways to support each other as a unified group. Blame and shame are not at home here.

big big hugs Judith

4 Likes

As a T1 I try to be sensitive about this and not add to the burdens of blame and stereotyping that are loaded onto T2s. Frustrating thing for us in the T1 camp is that in the public mind “diabetes” is synonymous with T2, all the more so if you’re an adult (“I thought only kids got that!” “Not true, and anyway guess what: kids grow up–who knew???”). Some of the insularity comes from decades of seeing hundreds of stories in the media about “diabetes” and knowing instantly “they’re not talking about ME,” and it does get annoying after a while. It’s symptomatic of being a minority inside a minority I guess. One of the great things about TuD is that in encouraging people from both areas to interact it has opened my ears to this particular complaint about the T1 culture, for want of a better word, and has made me less insular than I used to be.

But it’s still the case that the public remains largely oblivious to the distinction. People who are determined to unburden themselves of their blindingly uninformed “expertise” on these matters, frequently these days framed along the lines of “why are we all having to pay for your fat, indigent, junk-food eating lifestyle!!!” or the like are tarring us all with the same brush. I generally try to get across that a) the disease I have is not the one you’re thinking of, and b) you’re wrong about that one as well. But it’s not always easy to to fight a two-front battle effectively, especially as I’m naturally a lot more familiar with the ground underlying the “a” part of the answer. And in the heat of discussion it’s hard not to respond with just that part: “I have T1, it’s an auto-immune disorder that has f***-all to do with lifestyle, so shut yer yap you ignorant pillock,” which tends to leave the “b” part standing as if tacitly endorsing it. I certainly don’t mean it that way–I certainly don’t think of it that way–but I can see how it can seem that way to my T2 friends and I do try to avoid it.

I agree with @Judith_in_Portland that comparative misery is an infantile and pointless game. When people say to me “Oh, you’ve got the bad kind,” I have no trouble saying I wasn’t aware there was a good kind and explaining that there’s evidence that some of the things taken as causes of T2 may actually be symptoms, and so on. But as far as comparison does go, I actually see it the other way around. I’ve said many times (both in discussions with PWD and otherwise) that T2 is in a lot of ways a much harder disease to deal with precisely because it doesn’t land on you like an alien invasion the way T1 does, but can creep up on you so slowly and insidiously, and because it does tend to come on later in life when it’s harder to change set patterns of behavior. I have no doubt whatever that if I were diagnosed with T2 at my age or even ten years ago I would absolutely suck at getting control of it.

11 Likes

Outside of tudiabetes, I just tell people I have type 1 diabetes when they notice my CGM or pump and ask about it. Maybe that contributes to the greater problem but it helps people quickly understand my needs.

For example, when I’m at the gym sitting on the side of the court dealing with a hypo. At that point, I doubt anyone cares what type of diabetes I have, and this cuts to the chase “yes, I’m on insulin and yes, I need this apple juice in my belly pronto”. :grinning:

3 Likes

Hey - I had a recent incident with my cousin, who is a doctor and in fact used to be be MY doctor (before my diagnosis with diabetes, but he knows about it)… We were together for a small family get-together on Saturday and they served a plate of miscellaneous dried fruit and a few cookies. As I took one cookie and a piece of the dried fruit, he said to me, “You know that’s 100% sugar.” Rather than tell him that my blood glucose was 73 with 7.5U on board (yes, I’d overshot something earlier BADLY), I just said, “Thanks.” and ate them. :slight_smile:

… I went back for a couple figs :wink: (No, i did not overshoot the correction - topped out at 101!)

11 Likes

Well played, sir.

4 Likes

Your connection was not extreme but on point. This is what people do…they look for the difference that separates not for the similarities that bring us together. For me, as a child diagnosed with type 2 and 26 years later my struggle is relevant and such is life we all don’t feel or interpret life experiences the same. I think it just enough to say that I am whatever type without drawing any distinction because we all have something to learn and something to teach.

3 Likes

Thanks, Judith!

Best wishes to all of us here!

marty1492

2 Likes

I struggled a lot in the beginning of my journey at the hands of the people who were supposed to be helping me. The criticism and guesses at how to help me only left me with severe complications that didn’t have to happen.Your so right Christopher5 cause my gp had no clue what to do so she did the typical protocol, As we all know protocols don’t work for everyone so I got pretty sick. I racked up a lot of frequent flyer miles at the ER. This group has given me more information to help me gain control than my physicians. Diabetes is unique to everyone. What I do may not work for a T2 or a T1 but it works for me. That means that we all have a disease. I would like people who make videos or stand up for diabetes to make it a straight across group and not separate it per types. I would imagine you want to help everyone with your information so why limit it to just T1s. We all struggle so lets not categorize our struggles by sharing it only with one group.

3 Likes

Big big big hugs to you MariaB!!!

2 Likes

DrBB you are so right. It is a pointless game. I have actually stopped responding to which type I have. It really doesn’t matter cause they are all bad. Most T1s have had it since childhood and couldn’t indulge in things other children did and T2s midway thru life have to learn new tricks to stay alive. After all these years of eating whatever I want I now have to count carbs and keep insulin nearby. When I first began this journey I was classified as a T2 and all I had to do was take a pill a day and test once a day. Somewhere along the line I stopped making insulin at all so here we go with the rerouting. On top of learning everything about my new lifestyle I dont need a “My diabetes is worse than yours” issue. Teaching an old dog new tricks is not easy lol

3 Likes

See? That’s the problem: because your diabetes isn’t as bad as mine! If it were, you’d understand! :wink:
MINE IS THE WORST! What kind is it? MINE, that’s what kind.

… yours doesn’t bother me at all!

I either tell people that I’m “Type Weird” or just "diabetes - no difference, it’s all hard.’

6 Likes

Exactly

Although the context is different, this reminds me irresistably of the seagulls in Finding Nemo.

“MINE!” “MINE!” “MINE!” “MINE!” “MINE!” “MINE!” “MINE!” “MINE!” “MINE!” “MINE!”

5 Likes