Taking course of Antibiotics - first time while on Metformin

So, my right ear for the last few weeks is screwed up. My hearing is lessened in this ear. I already have hearing loss and wear aids so I can tell something is amiss on the hearing in this ear. First thought it was wax, did my drop and nothing helped. Went to the audiologist and there was no wax blockage but she said it looked like I might have a middle ear issue that might need antibiotics. (infection or virus). Audiologist can not dispense these things so had to go elsewhere.

So, went to the low cost clinic, the doctor said my right ear looked "cloudy" compared to my right ear so he prescribed some antibiotics. Amoxicillin.

Now, last time I took antibiotics for something I found out I was allergic to them. It was a sulfa drug called Bactrim. My entire body swelled up and I ended up in the ER. This was right before I found out I had D as I was taking it for a UTI. It also caused low blood sugars even though I was not aware of it at the time. They gave me Cipro instead and that I am not allergic. Still took me two weeks to recover from that bad Bactrim experience!

Anyhow, this is a pencillin drug and I have had pencillin before when I was younger and I am not allergic to it. But can that change in ones life? I am still on high alert right now - for any signs of allergic reaction as I DO NOT want to repeat my Bactrim experience which scare the pants off of me ( Bactrim is apparently banned in other country - see? USA is twisted again!)

So, on the meds sheet, it says "For diabetes, this med may cause false urine glucose readings." Ok. well, not sure how that applies to me. I don't test my pee. But can I except higher reading that might be wrong or lower ones?

The doctor knows I have D and take Met ( in fact, I will now be going there for my low cost D care - yeah! They have an emphasis in chronic illness care there. ) and he said it was fine to take with Met. He doesn't know if it will work (great two weeks of extra pill taking for nothing maybe?)

So, I taking it three times a day for two weeks (I think two weeks).

Also, I normally take a probiotic with my breakfast. This seems to help me down in the female area and keep away yeast infections. But I am wondering if it would be counteractive to take a probiotic with an antiobiotic?

I didn't take mine with my breakfast today. (I am just WAITING for a horrible yeast infection to arrive! LOL!) But I know I it is defiantely a good idea to take one after a course of antibiotics to replace good bacteria in your system.

I just took my first one and already I feel a bit strange (maybe it is psychological) but I am nervous about this after my last experience. I could handle some nausea or even yeast infection if it cleared up my ear (I want my regular hearing back!) but I would hate to find out that I am allergic to pencillin now too.

If any one has any advice or experince while taking antibiotics with D or on Met, please let me know.

Thanks!

I haven’t had to take any antibiotics since DX, but my mother who is also diabetics has a number of times with no affect on her on her BG or adverse reaction with the Met.

I am insulin dep, but have had those lovely bouts with the yeast infections. I have never had trouble eating my yogurt/probiotics while I am on antibiotics. Hubby is pharmacist, he says if the medication can be taken with food you can eat any time, yogurt included. If meds are to be taken without food, then take med 1 hour before eating or 2 hours after eating.

Thanks Bubbaluv,

What did she take the antibiotics for? Do you know which ones?

I think I have taken this particular one before (or some similarity of it) but if I did it was a long time ago and I can’t remember for sure. I know I have had penicillin before as a kid (at least I am pretty sure) so I am pretty sure I am not allergic to it. I had the Cipro right before I was DX but that is a different class of drugs.

I am also wondering why I am taking this three times a day as I always remembered it was every 8 hours for antibiotics but the only directions I have is “One capsule three times a day by mouth”. He didn’t say anything about making sure they are 8 hours apart etc… It seems different than how I have done it before in my life.

Thanks Korrie,

Actually it doesn’t say I have to take it with food. I started this morning so I took one right before my breakfast. I didn’t want to take it after the breakfast because that is when I take my Met.

But I am confused of why I am taking 3 a day. I always remember 2x’s a day and 8 hours apart with antibiotics - maybe pencillin ones are different? I am going to try to space it out as much as possible. I am wondering if I should get up in the middle of the night to make sure I am spacing 8 hours apart but the doctor didn’t say I need to that. wah. I take too many pills (and I hate taking pills - not a good thing if you are diabetic).

I want to make sure it works if I have to take it which is why I didnt want to take a chance at the probiotic messing up the actions of the antibiotic (don’t know if it does but I know they are complete opposites of each other). I remember a doctor gave me an antibiotic once and it did nothing but give me the worst yeast infection of my life. Nothing worse than a tortuous yeast infeciton and having the antibitoic not even clear up whatever was wrong. ugh.

Well, if I start to get a bad yeast infections, I am breaking out the probiotic again!

I guess I will wait and see if I am allergic to it first LOL!

Thanks Duck!

I hate taking pills and now I take more pills than I ever have in my life.(well, half are vitamisn) It takes me a couple tries to swallow my meds sometimes. You would think I would be better at it by now!

I am worried more about finding out I am allergic to this. If I am allergic to all these antibiotics, what will happen if I ever have something really serious wrong with me and I can’t have any? Than it will be time to donate me to the lab! LOL!

Ugh, my body is going down hill…and it is a bumpy ride. :slight_smile:

My parents are having the carpets cleaned today too - so now if I get nauseated from that powerful smell I won’t know if it is the antibiotics or the chemicals.

They have been for respiratory infections (bronchitis) and a very nasty bug we both picked up in Germany. I do know she has taken a z-pack (Azithromycin) as well as Amoxicillin.

Some of the new antibiotics are to be taken with meals which is one reason they may prescribe 3 times daily.

thanks Bubbaluv!

Ah, Ok. So, it might be a new thing. Mine doesn’t say take with meals anywhere. But I think I will just do that than. I thought it was always every 8 hours with antibiotics and I was worried that three times a day is too much? It is 500 mg. I will still try to space them out I think.

You would think dr prescribe antibiotoics a lot - so they wouldn’t screw that up. As long I as feel Ok, I will try not to worry.