Taking the step from 7.0 A1C to a 5.7 A1C

That’s exactly what I think! The more I read the more I get upset that my Dr isn’t pushing for me to be under at least 7.0. Also the more I get confused about where Im supposed to be. I work constantly and feel like the Endo/CDE team I’m paying to help me isn’t the right fit after all. I started low carb again last week and my blood sugars were great- I felt so much better already. The only issue was when I went to workout I had zero energy- Does that ever happen to you with this diet? I’ve also been reading Dr.Bernstein’s Diabetes Diet books and those basically say you cant eat anything. Unfortunately, I refuse to go my entire life without eating a piece of fruit or drink milk. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. I’m a fan of moderation and eat mostly Paleo as it is but am hoping that Bernsteins extreme diet isnt my only chance at fixing my A1C. The book you suggested is coming in the mail today, Im excited to read it!

I’ve definitely been there with the Subway situation. Fast food is so easy for everyone else to eat! It amazes me that aside from salads (which, at fast food places really aren’t that great for you anyway) there really aren’t many low carb options. I have a fear of lows/ giving myself too much insulin (even though I’ve never had a really bad one) and tend to always under-cover. which makes the next few hours of my life very uncomfortable. I’m new to the site and am not sure if there’s a private message option, but if you ever want to talk through that I would love to pick your brain on diet/exercise stuff. I don’t know anyone in my area that also struggles with T1.

It takes the body at least a few weeks to adapt to a low carb diet. It needs to adjust to burning fat instead of glucose. This initial low energy state is well documented and has sometimes been referred to as the “Atkins flu.” Your energy will return. And you’ll feel more alert and less hungry. It helps to take in some extra sodium during this time. A boullion cube dissolved in hot water once per day could do the trick.

As far as fast food goes, you can adapt. If I had a Subway sandwich, I would discard about 75% of the bread and enjoy the meat, cheese, and vegetables inside.

There is a private message option. Just click on the person’s icon and sending a message is one of the options.

Yeah absolutely! I’ll message you.

thanks @Terry4 I would have never known about the “Atkins flu” if you hadn’t mentioned it. This is why whenever I try a low carb diet I feel kinda out of it! Honestly I never feel hungry, I have lots of low carb food during the day. I also don’t really crave carbs so far. Its just the exercise that has left me pooped and I don’t feel as alert. I’ll keep at it, thank you for the advice :slight_smile:

So… I was the worst diabetic ever and I know you referenced this 6 months ago but I really got a kick out of it. It’s funny that nearly 8 years after posting that I have grown so much but still absolutely get where that version of me was coming from. I’ve still been swinging over the years, but am currently taking half the amount of lantus and I’m at an HbA1c at 6.7% and feeling pretty good. This year will mark 20 with diabetes and no signs of complications despite pretty dramatic numbers. Knock on wood that we really are invincible.

In many ways my challenges changed and got harder, but the one thing that helps me every day is the relationships with other people with diabetes. People who would otherwise be strangers.

So, MarieB, I’ll never be able to thank you enough for responding to that post. It had a lasting impact.

8 Likes

I think I speak for many in saying that I can’t put into words how deeply warming and profoundly validating your comment is. One of the biggest perception problems the DOC faces is getting skeptics, either in the professions or among the public at large, to understand why the peer support available in places like this really matters: it changes outcomes.

Thank you for posting this. Thanks a thousand times. :relieved:

4 Likes

Amazing!! I hear and connect with your words @Paige2. I struggled for so many years and am now 20 years in as well! I truly believe that it is only until we connect and find passionate, loving and supportive human beings like the @MarieBs, the @David_dns, the @Terry4s and others in this community can we begin to address, heal and live our best life with diabetes.
Way to go @Paige2. You are a shining example of what can be accomplished. :sunny:
Hugs,
Cynthia

Wish we had a multiple heart option here.:heart: :heart: :heart: To say it’s changed my health for the better is putting it mildly. I was going out of my mind when I joined here in 2008 and I was completely overwhelmed with gratitude for the love and support that surrounded me from day 1. There is just no replacement for being in the company of others with the same invisible disease, a condition that at its core is isolating. [quote=“Paige2, post:45, topic:51649”]
People who would otherwise be strangers.
[/quote]
I have met so many friends here whom I love dearly. I genuinely enjoy helping others here too, and getting a “thank you” means a LOT. and yeah, “Worst diabetic ever” is probably in my top 3 of favorite, helpful topics. Those of you wanting a good read, here’s a direct link

thank you so much @Paige2, you have no idea how much you’ve brightened my day!

next week is my 49th dia-versary! good job on the 20!

5 Likes