Testing in the workplace

Has anyone here ever been in a situation where testing (blood sugar) at work, in a public space in the work place cause a negative outcome? This last month I was employed as a car salesman (please don’t hold that against me). after a visit with my Dr. be came re acquainted with testing. After a month of testing daily I was released for other reasons. The manager did make a remark about a “low blood sugar” state of head I may have been in. Looking back I cant help but feel that there were others who did not approve and I perhaps would still be there is=f I had put the job before my health?

I once had a youngster I worked with complain that there was a trace of blood on some office paperwork that I had handled. Rather ridiculous when anyone could get a paper cut or have bled for any other of a number of reasons.

I tested and treated freely in the workplace environment. That meant fingersticking, changing infusion sets, and treating lows whenever and wherever appropriate. This was usually done at my work bench.

Having said that, I worked under the protection of a union contract. I think in your situation, as sad as it seems in this day and age, you will benefit in being more secretive, especially in the first six months or so in a new job. Once you prove your value and start to fit in and build working relationships, you could likely start to disclose your diabetes status and test/treat habits.

People can have a strange intolerance to needles and blood. It’s unfair.

Beginning about 7 years after dx, I began working from home, rendering the issue nonexistent. During the prior 7 years, I never had any problems.

So true. My belief was its more about my health and I don’t care about those who think its gross. But in the long run, They were a poor organization and I did not feel even slightly appreciated there.

I always step into the bathroom to test. That way no one is any the wiser. It’s no one’s business.

Yes, I would next time…

Andy

Haven’t had to yet. If I get to insulin then I’d have to. Check out the please shoot up in the bathroom thread.

I never liked testing in public when I had colleagues around me. I don’t know why. It always made me feel vulnerable. Maybe it’s because I worked with colleagues who were nurses and always think they know enough about T1D to make a stupid remark about me having T1D.
When the nursing school I lectured at moved to a new building, I had to share my working place with students, so I never tested anymore. I didn’t want to be forced to expose to students that I have T1D because I want to decide myself who gets to know that I have T1D. The moving to a new building with no private space at all (only restrooms provided privacy, but still had to be shared with students) made me quit my job. I’m so glad I did! There is only so much I can take after living with T1D for 35 years. I’m done with adapting myself to a world that doesn’t understand the hardship living with T1D is.

1 Like

If you were ever to have a severe hypo around coworkers didn’t know you were a diabetic and you’ve passed out, I think the better course of action would have been to tell people you work with that you are diabetic

2 Likes

In my life, I have had a couple serious medical events at work and my coworkers did great in both cases. They knew ahead of time. But, I wear med tags so the medics ought to be able to figure stuff out without word of mouth medical information.

tags are fine, but the person nearest you, that knows what to do, can attend to you faster than a paramedic, and for some areas, the response time for paramedics could cause you serious harm. Just think of Las Vegas and all the heroic actions of strangers, who helped with direct pressure, tourniquets, and racing people to the hospitals before ambulances arrived.

I always go into the bathroom to test. I honestly think unless it 's an emergency it’s more appropriate to test in a more private setting. For one thing I had have several co workers get sickish at the sight of blood and one that is queasy about needles. My health is important but so is consideration for others, I literally had a girlfriend in the past that would faint at the sight of blood. If it’s an emergency then everyone would understand, but I know the ones that don’t like blood appreciate that I don’t test under their noses. And they have to think about the customers that pay everyone’s salary, how comfortable they might be seeing it.Just because we can doesn’t always make it the best choice.

I always test at my desk. It’s impractical for me to go to the bathroom every time I test. I tend to be a bit more cautious of giving insulin, I use a pen to administer my insulin, if it’s quiet and no one is around I tend to do it at my desk.

Frankly, if people are starting at what I’m doing at my desk, and they get offended by it, then I’d suggest to them they just don’t watch. But I do work in an environment where people have individual desks, so someone really has to be being nosy to notice what I’m doing.

1 Like

Donman, your post looks like you read my mind and put those thoughts into your post. :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I was first diagnosed I went to a seldom use conference room to test so as not to offend anyone. It soon became apparent no one cared so, I soon started testing right at my desk. My desk is situated so people are walking by constantly and most coworkers walk by several times a day.

Occasionally someone is curious about what reading I just got and I always tell them “good number” or “could be a little better” etc. I look at it as a good opportunity to answer questions. Almost everyone has a friend or relative who is ignoring their diabetes and want to know more about how I am handling it.

When I started using insulin I never considered injecting anywhere but at my desk, I just turn away and slip the needle in. If someone is standing near I will wait until they leave.

Of course if someone said they were offended. I would go back to the conference room or bathroom. No sense causing needless friction :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Great minds? :wink:

1 Like

I definitely appreciate the input. I guess the outcome is I would not do it again but truth be told environment was toxic and I should have gotten my self out of there a lot sooner!

1 Like