Tests to check whether pancreas is producing Insulin or not?

My 10 years old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on 21st March 2014. But now he is of Insulin completely from past 2 Months His Fasting BG levels are between 80 to 100 & Premeals Bg levels are 80-130 & after meals BG levels are 125 to 180 . i want to get him tested to see if the Panreas have revived fully or what are other tests apart from Hb1AC. & whether C-peptide is the right test to become sure that he is cured
Thanks & Regards
God Bless you all

Sounds like he is in the honeymoon phase. When you BG runns high for a while the pancreas can be injured by the high BG levels. This is seperate from the antibody attack that started the whole thing. When the you bring his BG down to normal levels the pancreas can recover for a while.
It does not stop the autoimmune antibody attack and there will be continued injury/destruction of Beta cells. Even though it looks like things have gone away, this will not last.At this point there is NO cure for type 1.
If you google hineymoon period type 1 Diabetes you will find a lot of good infrmation.
Cant give a link as my computer is not cooporating today.

The c-peptide test is a measure of insulin production but it does a poor job of being a measure of beta cell function. I wish I could tell you that T1 cures happen all the time and your son was cured, but I can't. I've never heard a single case of someone with T1 being cured. Even a islet cell transplant isn't really a cure. As 2hobbit1 says your son is likely experiencing a honeymoon, taking insulin and being careful with diet may have resulted in some transient recovery of beta cell function. Unfortunately these honeymoons eventually come to an end. And please remember, your son will need to restart insulin when that happens. If you withhold insulin in the hope that this will make his cure real you risk doing him harm.

"Honeymoon Period".

In type 1 diabetes, patients sometimes experience what physicians have come to call a "honeymoon period" shortly after the disease is diagnosed. During the "honeymoon period" diabetes may appear to go away for a period of a few months to a year. The patient's insulin needs are minimal and some patients may actually find they can maintain normal or near normal blood glucose taking little or no insulin.

It would be a mistake to assume that the diabetes has gone away, however.

If his a1c was 9.7% at diagnosis, he's definitely a diabetic. Likely as others have suggested, honeymoon period...but I'd disagree. 130 pre meal at all and 180 post meal is still pretty high, in my opinion . He could be lower than that and I'd wonder a bit too and assume honeymoon period. Hopefully you're still giving him insulin because anything above 140 can damage his body, you should make sure he's under 140 as much as possible.

You’ve been given good information and advice here. Unfortunately, there is no cure for diabetes. Thinking in these terms, while helpful in the short run, will ultimately cause harm.

That being said, there are many things you can do to increase your chances of extending the honeymoon period. This is a very worthy goal at this point. Having partial utility of the pancreas is a big deal. I would recommend reading about using lower carb diets and exercise to help extend the honeymoon. You may need to look into insulin syringes (when the need for insulin returns) that permit 1/2 unit dosing increments. Some people even dilute insulin to permit more precise lower doses.

How was he diagnosed to begin with?! Sounds fishy to me! His numbers sound great. I think I would be getting a second opinion and maybe looking for a different doctor. I have a cousin who was diagnosed at an early age and a year later told she was misdiagnosed after being put through hell. This was a long time ago when insulin wasn’t very available and treating was horrible. She is a healthy adult now.
The medical community does have a lot of catching up to do on diabetes. I calculate 95% of the medical community doesn’t have a hair-breadths of knowledge of diabetes and its treatment. The couple of times I have been admitted to the hospital have turned into training sessions for any of the nurses truly interested in an insulin pump and CGM.

Best of Luck!
Andy

If you look in the OP's profile, at diagnosis his/her son had a 9.7 A1C. Little doubt that he is diabetic. That equates to an average BG at time of diagnosis of 230's.

The numbers that were reported in the post were his numbers while in the honeymoon phase.

Thanks I am giving him raw food plant based diet from 3 months I just want to know what are the tests which I can get done to be sure… No one has answered this question.Please guide me

I hope you haven't been following that guy Gabriel Cousens. Despite the claims, a raw diet isn't going to cure your son's diabetes. You can do serious risk of harm by thinking you have a magic cure and withholding your son's insulin.

C-peptide is the test that shows how much insulin your body is producing. However, many Type 1's continue to produce at least some insulin for awhile, so the fact that he is producing some doesn't mean he's "normal". I'm sorry I agree with the others; there is no cure for Type 1 and giving your child to believe he is cured is a very confusing message with a sad crash down the road. Limited and extreme diets are not great for growing children either. Sorry, shahpuri, I don't mean to sound harsh, I can understand how hopeful you must feel, but I think as Terry says, using energy to work on extending the honeymoon and being ready and knowledgeable for a happy, healthy and long life for your son who can do whatever he wants in this world even with Type 1 Diabetes.

I think he is in a honeymoon which is great. 130 pre meal and 180 post meal is not a normal bg so I think he needs some treatment now, probably very low dose basal or just bolus at least for now.

I have only read one account that sounded real of someone with type 1 going into a remission and not needing insulin. Someone's sister wrote about this on youtube- her sister went into dka, and a year later stopped needing insulin for good. I think she may have been misdiagnosed and may have been type 1b- in these cases people are ketosis prone, they can go into dka and then throughout their lives their insulin needs wax and wane, unlike typical type 1's who need insulin throughout their lives. I may be confusing the name, but I believe it is type 1b.

If his c peptide is still very low this would show he is still under autoimmune attack, and only producing minimal insulin and just in a honeymoon phase. After my dka my insulin needs decreased a lot but didn't go to 0 and my c peptide level did go up a tiny bit, but now 2 years later it is even lower than when I was first diagnosed in dka. If it is higher it could mean a stronger honeymoon. The theory goes that insulin helps preserve a honeymoon by taking stress off the beta cells which are under attack but still attempting to regenerate and to produce insulin. So keeping him on insulin in his honeymoon could extend it and keep his bg in a better range.

Hi shapuri,

folks have told you what tests you can get done to be sure. But I'll list them for you. Fortunately these are not too invasive.
C-Peptide - as you already know
Oral Glucose Tolerance Test
Fasting Blood Glucose Test
Glycohemoglobin (HbA1c, A1c)

And finally, monitoring the blood glucose as needed or recommended by the doc. Your son will not be cured of Type 1 Diabetes, no matter what you feed him. And a raw food diet for a 10 year old boy is extreme in my opinion. Please let your young boy be a kid first, and learn how to deal with life as a diabetic.

1 Like

Another thing to be aware of, current research is showing that the immune system attack on the pancreas isn't a one-time big bang. Rather it continues throughout the life of a person with diabetes.

Thanks for the info
I have to get his tests done next week Please advise me all the tests which I should get done to see the condition of Pancreas

C-Peptide - should I get it done ??
Oral Glucose Tolerance Test
Fasting Blood Glucose Test
Glycohemoglobin (HbA1c, A1c)
Kidney Profile (KFT)
Liver Profile (LFT)
Lipid profile (Total Cholestrol)

ARE THERE ANY OTHER TESTS TO BE DONE ?

My Doctor has advised to give him Inulinonly when his BG levels are above 200 & not 140 .kindly can you provide me with some scientific Data regarding Harm done to the body or body organs if BG is more than 140 after meals or any time of day

Thanks again

Interesting…I wasn’t aware of this. Where can I read research on this? I’d like to know more, please.