The wierdest place you got low

I feel like my “low” stories are similar to my birth stories, filled with images I can never forget, smells, sounds, tastes and emotions…so here’s my question, what is the stragnest place you got low?
I’ll tell you mine in brief: In the middle of a famous church in Florence, Italy, my blood sugar started to drop and white flashed in front of my eyes and I stumbled outside to get away from the people b/c I felt hot, and I lurched along the narrow, cobblestone street, holding onto the wall with my hand until I found a place to sit and search through my bag for candy. I was on a school trip and so (thankfully) classmates came after me and waved down an italian taxi and got me back to our American school where there was a good supply of sugar. I’ll never forget hearing the noises of the unfamiliar language, foreigners trying to help and being scared and disorientated and hearing the noise of the mopeds wizzing past and the taste of those little candies, the only sugar I could ever find in the italian version of a mini-mart, a small cigarette store and how I was thinking, please no, not now.

So, I told you mine, let’s hear yours…

They all have been horror shows to me. I don’t really like to compare and contrast much anymore. Some embarrassing, ,most confusing, some I don’t remember, most physically exhausting, some damaging to things and me, many scary to the people around me, some dangerous from the location, some funny after afterward, a few with serious non-medical after-effects, all potentially a threat to my life.

And weird too.

A flash of white light in a famous Italian church might have distracted me as a religious experience.

very funny! :slight_smile: (not the part about the treat to your life of course!)

Here’s mine. I had to pull jury duty one time so I took my kids to school (eating no breakfast, bad I learned really fast) and went to the courthouse, got seated on the beanch and looked at the 1st felon in the courtroom and watched him for about 30 minutes as the other ppl came in to see if they were jury avalable (not paying attention to myself at all plus it probably wouldn’t have helped anyway since I have no warning system anymore) I was too busy think about how BIG this guy was and how he would get out of jail and come and hunt me down if I was on the jury that convicted him anyway as the process started I was sitting there and had a sevire low I started seizing and foaming at the mouth ( my speciality at these times) and Thank God that one of my daughter’s teacher’s was also on this duty b/c she told them it was an insulin reaction and they needed to call 911. After all that the judge decided to cancle court for the day and for ppl to come back the next day. Anyway after I got out of the hospital later that day they had given me a phone number to call and see what letters of the alaphbit they were taking the next day. So I called it and got what started to be a recording but when I said my name the secetary picked up the phone and said " Mrs Dickerson the judge has decided that you don’t need to come back in. You scared the crap out of him today!" Great for me b/c I was gonna tell him what I might do anyway. I didn’t mean to show him though! Whoops my bad! HA!!

At the Hospital… You see, I was there getting a Gastric Emptying Time Test to see if I could get on Symlin… I got there at 7:30 in the morning then They told me to come back at 12:30pm… I couldn’t eat until the test was done… Garden City Hospital is soooo stupid and they knew I was a Diabetic in the first place…

The weirdest thing I can recall happening lately is one day at work when I thought I was having a “low” only to find out my BSG was 221. An hour later, a couple flights of stairs and some protein, it was down to 179; in another hour though, it dropped to 71… guess I didn’t handle the spike very well. (T2, here.)

Fortunately, I’ve never had a really scary “low” (yet)… but this last may, on our flight from San Francisco to Beijing, I started feeling very strange. BSG was 69; 15 minutes later it dropped a little more. We were packed into the 747 like sardines, and scrambling for something for me to eat was a circus… all I could think about was the TSA witch at the New Orleans airport who took my sealed jar of peanut butter! Without it, I didn’t have all the food I’d counted on to get me through the basically 24-hour trip to Beijing. I’d been awake since 1AM that morning (to make a 6AM flight out of NOLA). We’d been offered beverage and pretzels, then chicken or beef w/ potatoes, corn, green beans, salad and carrot cake; then noodle dish or sandwich and lemon cookie… I obviously had not eaten very much. Hubby gave me his salas and beans, and I had some packages of peanuts. Anyway, the “low” happened about what would have been 7:30 pm my time. Hubby found me some sweet carbs and it started back up. Amazingly, I had little to no trouble the three weeks in Tibet with my sugar. With all the exercise (and perhaps the altitude? does any one know about that?) I was even able to handle the additional carbs from the noodle and dumpling dishes.

A fairly remote beach in northern Michigan. My wife and I decided to walk up the beach and I forgot to bring my M&M’s. After about 2 miles, I realized my BG was getting low and I had nothing with me. Great, a 2 mile walk back down the beach to the condo. Longest walk of my life!

I got a bad low walking the 1/4 mile to the church on my wedding day! Surrounded by family and friends, I leaned over to my brother and told him I needed some juice. He sprinted ahead to the local mini-mart and I just kept on walking 'til he caught up with us again. I threw back a jr juice box and kept on going! Didn’t miss a beat!

nice. that’s a good one! thank god for juice boxes…

the funny thing is, I haven’t had a really bad one since my kids were born. knock on wood! Is it that I’m more careful? Or is it that I’ve been at home with them, closer to the kitchen, closer to my blood machine, not distracted by work? I don’t know.

Rick01 and Dina got “caught” away from their sugar while on walks, but not as bad as this one:

Above the Lamar valley, in Yellowstone, there’s a lot of very interesting petrified wood logs and stumps. Mistake #1: I went up there by myself, with a high-calorie sandwich for lunch and two little 10-pack tubes of sugar tabs “for emergency”. (NOT ENOUGH.)

After walking the Ridge, and going West to the great Redwood stump, I ate my sandwich and decided that it was a pretty day and still real early-- so I continued West, without a high-quality Topo map (Mistake #2). After “a while”, I decided that it was time to turn North and head back down to the Road (Highway 212), then just walk along the road to return to my Car.

Nope. Big cliff, at least 5.7 difficulty, I’ve got no rope and and I’m wearing hiking boots, not climbing shoes. Even though I was a strong climber back then, capable of 5.9s and even 5.10s, I decide that it’s too dangerous for even an expert in the middle of NOWHERE. (Not a mistake, right choice.) Grabbed a few sugar tabs, because my bG is starting to go down-- I’ve already done more than 8 miles in really steep terrain, at least 1500 vertical feet already. I figure, “well, there’s gonna be a spot I can get down if I just go a little ways further, and by going forwards I don’t have to backtrack through all that stuff I’ve already seen. And besides, some of that was awfully up and down, It’ll be a lot nicer just to head West, so I can return by walking in the flat valley or along the road.” (Mistake #3.)

I finish the first 10-pack and start on the second, and drink another pint of water. (About one pint left.) Head up to the ridge so I can make better time headed west and “see” the downhill options more easily. Start hiking. First couple of miles, nothin’ good down there… keep going. Another mile or two, still doesn’t look much good. I’m starting to think, “Well, they’ll know from the car location that I went up to Specimen Ridge, but by now I’m nearly 10 miles from there, in a place no one ever goes… they’ll NEVER find the body!”

I’m really scared, with good reason. I know that the few remaining sugar tabs aren’t gonna make anywhere near enough bG to handle the trip. After a bG test, 35 mg/dL, I eat a few tabs. Finally, I see a watercourse which I can pick my way down, slide on my butt, whatever. Based on that bG test and the barely adequate number of tabs I already ate, I choose to ALL the remaining sugar tabs before I try it. (Good choice, I’m probably already below 50 again.) I remember a couple of deer looking at me really funny, from very close up-- maybe they were thinking, “he doesn’t smell right, and he’s walking really funny too.” (Well, at least I wasn’t getting funny looks from hungry wolves, who had just been introduced into that area two years before. That could’ve messed up the re-introduction program something awful.) Or maybe there were just thinking, “What the heck is a HUMAN doing way up here?”

Well, I got down OK. But the few hundred yards to the Road, US-212, was a big struggle for me. My legs kept giving out. I was no longer angry about having made so many bad choices, I just focused on reaching that Road, getting help, and staying alive by doing so. I don’t know how long it took me, but I eventually got there. “OK! Flat pavement! Now comes the EASY part!”

Which I probably couldn’t have walked on my own anymore, it was way too far. But the first passing car saw my obvious distress in trying to walk in “the middle of nowhere”. (As far as parking lots, buildings, and parked cars were concerned. But of course, the Highway was like Times Square compared to where I’d spent the afternoon. A car every 10 or 15 minutes, wow! Almost like gridlock!) Although my legs weren’t working too well, I explained that my car was a few miles ahead, and I needed sugars. They drove me to my car, and I got a lot better in a hurry.

The moral of my story is: bad hypos, while you’re not sleeping, are almost never from JUST ONE mistake, and avoiding ANY of the 2 or 3 dumb things involved is usually enough to prevent them. You only have to do one or two things right-- and the first thing to do is ALWAYS, ALWAYS have at least 100 grams of “extra” carbs within a few hundred yards (i.e., a FULL bottle of sugar tabs in the car.) I did the testing right, but without any carbs to solve the problem, testing didn’t prevent my disaster.

Rick01 and Dina got “caught” away from their sugar while on walks, but not as bad as this one:

Above the Lamar valley, in Yellowstone, there’s a lot of very interesting petrified wood logs and stumps in an area called “Specimen Ridge”. Mistake #1: I went up there by myself. Mistake #2, with only a high-calorie sandwich for lunch and two little 10-pack tubes of sugar tabs “for emergency”. (NOT ENOUGH.)

After walking the Ridge, and going West to the great Redwood stump, I ate my sandwich and decided that it was a pretty day and still real early-- so I continued West, without a high-quality Topo map (Mistake #3). After “a while”, I decided that it was time to turn North and head back down to the Road (Highway 212), then just walk along the road to return to my Car.

Nope. Big cliff, at least 5.7 difficulty, I’ve got no rope and and I’m wearing hiking boots, not climbing shoes. Even though I was a strong climber back then, capable of 5.9s and even 5.10s, I decide that it’s too dangerous for even an expert in the middle of NOWHERE. (Not a mistake, right choice.) Grabbed a few sugar tabs, because my bG is starting to go down-- I’ve already done more than 8 miles in really steep terrain, at least 1500 vertical feet already. I figure, “well, there’s gonna be a spot I can get down if I just go a little ways further, and by going forwards I don’t have to backtrack through all that stuff I’ve already seen. And besides, some of that was awfully up and down, It’ll be a lot nicer just to head West, so I can return by walking in the flat valley or along the road.” (Mistake #3.)

After another bG test, I finish the first 10-pack and start on the second, and drink another pint of water. (About one pint left.) Head up to the ridge so I can make better time headed west and “see” the downhill options more easily. Start hiking. First couple of miles, nothin’ good down there… keep going. Another mile or two, still doesn’t look much good. I’m starting to think, “Well, they’ll know from the car location that I went up to Specimen Ridge, but by now I’m nearly 10 miles from there, in a place no one ever goes… they’ll NEVER find the body!”

I’m really scared, with good reason. I know that the few remaining sugar tabs aren’t gonna make anywhere near enough bG to handle the trip. After a bG test, 35 mg/dL, I eat a few tabs. Finally, I see a watercourse which I can pick my way down, slide on my butt, whatever. Based on that bG test and the barely adequate number of tabs I already ate, I choose to ALL the remaining sugar tabs before I try it. (Good choice, I’m probably already below 50 again.) And finish the water, better to drink it now than carry it down. I remember a couple of deer looking at me really funny, from very close up-- maybe they were thinking, “he doesn’t smell right, and he’s walking really funny too.” (Well, at least I wasn’t getting funny looks from hungry wolves, who had just been introduced into that area two years before. That could’ve messed up the re-introduction program something awful.)

Or maybe there were just thinking, “What the heck is a HUMAN doing way up here?” Well, I got down OK. But the few hundred yards to the Road, US-212, was a big struggle for me. My legs kept giving out. I was no longer angry about having made so many bad choices, I just focused on reaching that Road, getting help, and staying alive by doing so. I don’t know how long it took me, but I eventually got there. “OK! Flat pavement! Now comes the EASY part!”

Which I probably couldn’t have walked on my own anymore, it was way too far. But the first passing car saw my obvious distress in trying to walk in “the middle of nowhere”. (As far as parking lots, buildings, and parked cars were concerned. But of course, the Highway was like Times Square compared to where I’d spent the afternoon. A car every 10 or 15 minutes, wow! Almost like gridlock!) Although my legs weren’t working too well, I explained that my car was a few miles ahead, and I needed sugars. They drove me to my car, and I got a lot better in a hurry.

The moral of my story is: bad hypos, while you’re not sleeping, are almost never from JUST ONE mistake, and avoiding ANY of the 2 or 3 dumb things involved is usually enough to prevent them. You only have to do one or two things right-- and the first thing to do is ALWAYS, ALWAYS have at least 100 grams of “extra” carbs within a few hundred yards (i.e., a FULL bottle of sugar tabs in the car.) I did the testing right, but without any carbs to solve the problem, testing didn’t prevent my disaster.

Sorry for the double-post. How to EDIT is unclear, at least my “test version” of Firefox (3.0.x “Minefield”) isn’t showing anything click-able on the post or the line which says “you have X minutes left to edit this post”.

(OT) I see the problem-- these pages need to be marked as “transitional 4.01”, they’re being interpeted as “strict” by FF3, and the “dojoType” entities and elements are no-worky without "transitional or “loose”.

good story. And scary and I’m glad you made it out okay. And sure, you made some mistakes, but you know what? God, how many minutes of every day do we have to make these choices? How many minutes of every day other than that particular day have you made the right choices? Of course we’re going to have these stories, of course we are going to make mistakes. But It’s not our fault that our bodies don’t work like they should. And I’m not advocating being a victim, but I do get tired of always being the one to blame when something goes wrong…

I wound up passing out at the Kennedy Center. My wife and I were attending a performance in the upstairs atrium and I passed out before we entered the theater. About three hours later I walked out of the GWU Medical Center.
My endo and I decided that it was a combination of not enough sleep, exercise, and pumping too high a bolus for dinner.
From then on I brown bag to performances. Scared the heck out of everyone though.

Hi Amy,
I am a type 2 and really didn’t know we can have lows too. I have experienced more than a few, but could mostly always feel; them coming. Today as i sat in the dentist’s chair I had no idea I was in trouble. My dentist noticed I had stopped responding to him. He said he wanted to sit me up and take a break for a few minutes. I couldn’t sit up by myself or think very well. Much of my motor control was gone too. I had started bringing supplies with me wherever I go, so they opened my purse and got my glucometer and checked me. I also had a protein drink with me and a straw. They gave me that as well I was so grateful that my dentist was keeping track of me. I neve saw this one coming, but was fine in just a little while. Thank God for caring people.

I think that I would have to say on the roof of a house. I didn’t realize it until I got down and tested before driving away. It was down to 50. Then , I freaked out. I had assumed that I was just worn out. That experience made me more aware at all times. There’s nothing like experience to teach you a lesson.

Two blocks from the Joslin Clinic (New Eegland Deaconess Hospital) in Boston…

Passerbys brought me around with a soda and when the paramedics showed, they were a unit ASSIGNED specifically to the Joslin Clinic supposedly within a 10 block radius, they said. Never went beyond those 10 blocks and treated dozens of us per week year round…

I know I was low but THAT was freaky…
Stuart

Lucky You ! The first time that I ever passed out ,I was visiting my sister in the hospital. At least we can have our " accidents " in a good place.
Jim