Thinking of buying FreeStyle Libre 14-day CGM

Is that cash price, or with insurance?

That is cash “out-of-pocket”, because my insurance doesn’t cover it, and neither does my Medicare since I’m not taking insulin.

1 Like

I know this is an old topic, but I wanted to tag on if I may and ask a question. With the pandemic going strong and I’m one of the few working “skeleton” crew at my job, we are doing virtual meetings. It’s taking a major toll on me, with the meetings being hours long and back-to-back-to-back.

Would the Libre be an option instead of the typical finger prick for those of us still not yet on any meds? I’m still flying blind with my BGs. My PCP is not giving me any help and she hasn’t written a new script for testing strips either (testing 2x a week)…yeah…that’s no help. I’m truly on my own.

I just have “feel” when my sugar drop or go up …which doesn’t help when I have my monthly Remicade infusion—then my BGs are automatically up—around 230-250 for at least 3-4 days.

So, what would I need to do? Convince my PCP to write a script for the Libre and continue to write scripts for my meter strips as well?

All advice is greatly appreciated…you would think she would want to be helpful.

I think the libre doesn’t need calibration however I don’t know how true that is.
I don’t calibrate my dexcom and I almost never do any finger sticks anymore because I generally trust it.

But your doctor should be there to get you what you need.
If you need strips and a libre then he should write the scripts for you.
I think you might prefer a dexcom because it automatically tests your sugar every 5 min.
There are a few options out there now so you might want to look at the different ones out there

Are you a type 1 or a type 2? It just helps with answers sometimes.

You definitely need to contact your pcp and ask for how ever many strips you think you will need. Call again if you have to as sometimes they forget or things get tied in red tape and you might be able to help. Cushion it a bit so you have plenty and don’t short yourself.

I would also ask for a Libre. But if you are a type 2 it’s possible a cgm won’t be covered at all. If you are a type one, insurance companies sometimes want your BG numbers for a few weeks plus of a certain amount of readings per day etc…it really depends on your insurance company and their specific policies. And some won’t cover strips and a cgm. Mine used to but Medicare does not.

If you can afford it, you can fund the Libre yourself with a script from the doctor. They are a game changer with the wealth of information they supply. Plus if you have to submit BG readings to qualify, if you already have a Libre, it’s much easier obviously.

PCP’s can be very lacking in knowledge of care for a type 1. Some are very helpful, some try but just don’t know that much and some are completely lacking.

The Libre needs calibration, but it’s not set up to be able to do so. However mine is usually a set amount off so I just add to it mentally. I have a Dex and a libre because I use the Libre mostly for swimming.

1 Like

Get the skin prep the stay on better. Also keep the foil seal that has the sensor # since if they fail call Abbot and the will replace them but they need the old sensors and the # which is easier to read off the label than the sensor.