Libre2 Available

The new Libre2 is supposedly available with alerts. I just got sent this

Dear xxxx,

We’re pleased to announce that the FreeStyle Libre 2 system, a continuous glucose monitoring system, has been cleared by the FDA and is now available at most pharmacies.†

• Unsurpassed 14 day accuracy1 for adults and children with diabetes 4 years and older

• Optional, real-time alarms that notify you if you go too low or too high*

• Easily check your glucose levels with a painless2 one second scan instead of a fingerstick‡

• More affordable than other CGM systems§

At this time, the FreeStyle Libre 2 system is cleared by the FDA for a reader and sensor. The FreeStyle Libre 2 app is pending FDA review.

Talk to your healthcare professional about how the FreeStyle Libre 2 system can help you better manage your diabetes.

Questions? Visit FreeStyleLibre.us or contact our Customer Care Team for support at 1-855-632-8658. The team is available 7 days a week 8 AM to 8 PM Eastern Time, excluding holidays.

Thanks,
Team FreeStyle Libre

This would still be reason to stay with dexcom for me, but I think future versions will eliminate need for scan.

1 Like

They don’t talk about calibration either and I know my endo is still skeptical how accurate it will be, She is a tried and true Dexcom person.

But importantly the Libre has been a lot more affordable for people that don’t have insurance to cover a Dexcom and now they will have alerts. I am looking forward to that on my dog. I have Miao Miao on her Libre right now so I can have alerts.

So an update on the new Libre 2.

The good news is you can set the alerts, it stays in communication with the sensor. The lowest is 60 and the highest setting is 400. So plenty of range to pick what you want it at.

The bad news is, this first sensor about 24 hours later is still off by 25 points of my BG level.

Besides the initial e-mail saying it was available I called Abbot about the cost and if they were going to have a voucher again for switching to the new sensor. A couple of weeks later I got a call from Libre saying that the reader would have a voucher available for the max cost to be $65 for the reader. I had already been told the sensors would be the same price as the 14 day sensors at around $75 for 2. That to have Costco call with the price and they would issue a voucher for the reader if needed…

I had my endo send in a new script for it to Costco who said they could order it. The cost was going to be $89 or $103 depending who I talked to for the reader and $120 for 2 sensors. I had them call Libre for the voucher who told Costco they were out of vouchers.

So I called Libre and said you guys told me there would be a voucher and nothing about their being a limit on them, plus the sensors are more and I was promised they would be the same cost as the 14 day Libre. At first I was told yes there is a voucher and I asked why Costco was told you were out. She told me she saw where I had been called and offered the voucher. And the voucher also guaranteed the sensors to cost $75 for 2 until December. Success!

So I don’t really know if you can still get a voucher, but you might try if you are going to switch.

I wanted it for snorkeling, to see if I have a chance at scanning it when in the water. The Dexcom every once in a while works, but mostly doesn’t. Success!!! It works underwater!

1 Like