This is driving me crazy

A.... sponge? A real sponge? You toasted it?

All I can imagine is poor Spongebob screaming his squarepants off...

Oh my. I'm sure I"m going to do something crazy like this one day, though... it hasn't happened yet. But.. I'm only 3 months in.

Thank you, Trudy! :) I feel like I am in need of a 'like' button for certain posts. Or else... I just need to hang out less on facebook. :)

Bravo! See my breakfast comment above. I do HATE breakfast, except when it is big and carb laden. I will try.

That must have smelled the place up pretty good

Morning Report:

Made all the suggested changes, plus lowering the basal. I am eating breakfast (13 carb toasted waffle) on my way out the door. Hovered between 80 and 100 last night until 4:05 am when I dropped quickly to 63. Treated with onne glucose tab, Thirty minutes later, it beeped again, so I took another tab,(Those are disgusting, but seemed to work well) and stayed steady until I got up at 7:00 and thenpump alerted I was 69, but when I tested, I was 75.

Last night was much better and I think I will dial the basal down another notch.

Will report on this morning laster on today.

THANKS!!!!!

Mmm, waffles sound yummy! We're all out though so toast for me. Great job getting things worked out though! I am totally a morning person and the whole AM BG "song and dance" always annoys me.

Yay! Great job!

Taking mental notes for when I get a pump :)

yes, me too....that's why my I:CR is so high in the morning, like 1:6 or 1:7, it's DP and I too have to take insulin and some food or I'll just keep going up up and away. good, informative post.

I do recognize everything you write about being high in the morning if I don't get breakfast..but it can also be a result because of al those lows during the day..then your body starts to make cortisone and this makes the sugar go higher..it is a natural reaction of the body.

You also write that you do take dextrose tablets when you are low, or applejuice..but these sugars are fast..it is better to take a couple of dextrose tablets and a peace of brown bread with cheese or something like a banana..some slow sugars..it isn't enough to eat or drink superfast sugars..this is what my docter explained to me when I was diagnosed 16 years ago and had a lot of hypo's..I just drank a glas of orange juice and that's it..my docter was not surprised about the lows..nowaydays I have a small juice and a banana or a peace of brown bread with some dextrose tablets after a hypo..it works better.

Glad to hear things are coming in line!

Zoe is right. I am Type 1 for 25 years and never had DP before the last year. Old lady hormones are kicking around and creating havoc for me. With that came DP.

I see the exact same type of sudden rises that you are seeing, with or without breakfast. I've had to adjust my basals to offset the increases. I usually drink a cup of coffee with half/half and eat a stick of cheese when I get up in the morning but if I hadn't adjusted my basals, I would get the spike regardless.

It certainly caught me off guard too. Like you, Spock, I had never had a problem with it. Then all of a sudden, I noticed that from the time I got up to the time I got to work, I was spiking about 80 points without eating anything. Once I did some reading, I realized what was happening.

The first time I heard the slow carb thought it was from a paramedic about 2 years ago, and I thought he was crazy. I have never had rebound lows, ever (that is a lot evers--50 years worth!). Once the carbs bring my BG to a good level, I am fine. Last night 1 tablet was not enough. My pump waits 15 minutes to alert again. After the second tablet, I was fine.

Now, those things are DISGUSTING and I know there is a lot of talk here about Skittles (which I carry in my purse) and jelly beans. Will they work as well (and, please, taste more palatable)?

YOU ARE GENUISES!!!!!

8am 128 13 carb waffle (Not that good AR, just frozen and toasted) 1.5 units for the waffle and 128 correction
9am 141
10am 128
11am 112
noon 94
So maybe I should not discount DP, although this will probably change again at some point.
(And shhh!!! Don't tell my husband. He has been nagging me to eat breakfast for years, and he seems to be correct....)
Thanks again for all your help. I am glad I joined. This is amazing

Excellent!

Yes, I too have never had the need to do the follow up with protein thing. Once I correct and come up I'm there to stay. I have had a couple experiences recently where I took my normal amount of glucose tabs and didn't come up and took awhile to do so, so I have to look at what that's about. But I gain weight way to easily to start haphazardly adding snacks in unless I'm sure they are required.

Oh, I know how disgusting those dextrose tablets are..I hate them..I'm from the Netherlands..and sometimes when I work in Germany I go to the organic supermarket and buy the dextrose tablets there, they have about 25 tastes, mango, rasberrie strawberry banana, mint, the mango is the best cause they are a bit sour and fresh..and the tablets there are soft..Jelly beans are great, especially if you have a pack with all the different colors and tastes..

I guess that everybody is different but here in the Netherlands they advise to eat some sugar or lemonade and than something slow like a mueslibar..or banana..

This happend to me for over a year but i was going to my primary doctor so he wasnt able to help me. It wasnt until i started going to an endo that i found out what was going on and was able to fix it

Wow! I feel vindicated. It is amazing how well we know ourselves and our reactions. I hate to say it, but doctors are often superfulous, and your guys are great.

Thanks again. Let you know tomorrow how the again lowered overnight basal works.