Time for a new pump: Animas Vibe or Medtronic?

@rainbowcrane - Another potential benefit of the Tandem X2 for you is that you can choose to change the infusion set and insulin reservoir separately. They do not have to be done at the same time. So if you want to go on a fixed 3 day schedule for infusion sets but still change out the insulin reservoir when it runs low - you can.

Downside is that I think that can get confusing so it is simpler to keep track if you just do them together. But if your particular insulin needs are high, this might work better for you. At least it is an option so you can decide the best approach for you.

I switched to Tandem because of the Dexcom. I am happy with it. I just ignore their financial problems. I think it takes money to do great things.

I canā€™t comment on the Vibe. I HATED the Ping due to their interface designed by an attorney.
However, I find the t:slim to have a similar problem. I am in the process of writing up a review of the t:slim. Between Tandem having the ā€œtest your blood in 2-3 hoursā€ in the wrong order and alarms that sometimes never go off, and a few other attorney UI designs, I canā€™t say that they are much better than the Ping regarding interface.

Tandemā€™s quality control of the Unomedical infusion set adhesive is abysmal in my experience. And the design of their t:90 is as awful as the Animas Inset when compared to the much better designed Deltec/Smithā€™s Medical Cleo 90 or Medtronic Quick-set with their superior delivery by a separate inserter which prevents against tubing catches, kinked cannulas and other problems.

Tandemā€™s forced blow out of 10u of insulin with every cartridge change is off putting too.

Better quality control of Unomedical, combined with the software design team locking their lawyers in an offsite cell somewhere would go a long way toward making their product one I could cheer about.

While I agree in principle, the reality is that there is an even larger group of lawyers circling EVERY medical device company like sharks in the water just continually probing and looking for any way to attack.

have you looked into the new medtronic closed loop pump and meter? my sonā€™s doctor said they now use a CGM called the Guardian and he said it was the most accurate CGM in the market. My son uses the Medtronic 530 and the Enlite was a pain, he uses the Dexcom G5 now and loves it but we are hoping to switch next year to the Medtronic closed loop system if the reviews stay great.

Iā€™ve looked at the Medtronic closed loop system, but I donā€™t believe their
assertions about the CGM accuracy. I tried a few generations of the Enlite
sensor/transmitter and it was abysmal at maintaining the connection to the
pump (more than 1 foot was iffy) and sensors regularly went bad and started
giving widely divergent readings. My understanding is the transmitter for
the Guardian sensor is the same as the Enlite, so I take their advertising
with a grain of salt :slight_smile:

@Monica12 - How old is your son?

ā€œThe MiniMed 670G system is not approved for people with type 1 diabetes under the age of 14.ā€

(And much much stronger warning for children under the age of seven.)

I would also seriously consider the validity of this statement. I have not even heard the Marketing Dept from Medtronic trying to claim they are MORE accurate then the Dexcom G5. That is past spin and into fantasy land. In my opinion.

He is 18, so he is good on that front. I must admit I kind of looked twice at him when he said that, but that being said, the center where my son goes does do research and did have quite a few participants in the trials leading up to the rollout. Regardlessā€¦is it as good as the G5? I love the G5 because it is the CGM my son wears and it is the one that has helped him the mostā€¦We will definitely be researching before we take the next step. The best CGM is the one he will wear and the Enlite was surely not it. lol

FDA approval snippets.

Medtronic:
ā€œThe Guardian Sensor (3) glucose values are not intended to be used directly for making therapy adjustments, but rather to provide an indication of when a finger stick may be required. All therapy adjustments should be based on measurements obtained using a home glucose monitor and not on values provided by the Guardian Sensor (3).ā€

Dexcom:
ā€œThis device is indicated as a glucose monitoring system for the management of diabetes in persons age 2 years and older. The Dexcom G5 is designed to replace fingerstick blood glucose testing for diabetes treatment decisions.ā€

Not being able to extend the life of the Omnipod is actually a feature I appreciate. In past decades I used to push my tubed sets as long as theyā€™d go ā€“ and experienced the consequent site irritations and infections, and lipoatrophy/lipohypertrophy down the road. I find the Omnipod greatly reduces those risks. (Of course, I might think otherwise if I wasnā€™t fortunate to have it covered by both private and public health plans.)

Yeah, but I hated that I always had to change my pod at the exact same time 3 days later or deal with that incessant beeping! There were times when I was in court, or out somewhere I couldnā€™t change it right away, and that beeping was very annoying and embarrassing. This is pure stupidity and laziness, but sometimes I would go to sleep with it beeping (somehow slept through it), wake up at 5 or 6am when it shut off, and just throw it in a drawer to get some more sleep. Somehow my blood sugars never went that high (maybe 13-14 mmol/L at worst) and I really didnā€™t know anything about DKA back then.

1 Like

Maybe it depends how regular your routines are. I generally change mine after breakfast, so Iā€™ll get one expiry warning once Iā€™m already up for the day (you can customize the timing of the pod expiry alert, and mine is set for one hour). Iā€™ve never had expiry warnings during the night. I hardly ever have to be out of the house before breakfast, so the only time this routine gets upset is if I have to change a pod some other time during the day, because of discomfort or weird numbers. Then I fill the new one with enough insulin to keep me going until the next scheduled change morning, so I donā€™t waste insulin. Back on schedule!

1 Like

I understand Tim, and without getting into an off topic discussion, feel like that hurts medical technology. However, just as in computer security (my realm), going overboard actually causes an opposite effect. Think of Post It notes on monitors filled with passwords.

Iā€™ve adapted one of the more problematic routines of the t:slim through a behavior that would cause their attorneys to drop over in shock. I take the risk because theyā€™ve done something they can point to as a CYA, yet itā€™s making me (and Iā€™ll bet others) do something they wouldnā€™t want us to do. I am no Medtronic fan, but they donā€™t seem to have annoying UI ā€œfeaturesā€ that seem to be only there for legal CYA reasons.