Time for a new pump: Animas Vibe or Medtronic?

Hello,

My pump just went out of warranty and I went to an info session at my endo’s today to check out the various options. I’ve used various generations of Medtronic pump for 11 years and I’m strongly considering switching to a pump that’s compatible with Dexcom CGM and trying to get approval for CGM to improve my control (it’s not awful, but it was better on CGM). It looks my options are either:

1. Tandem T-Slim
  2. Animas Vibe
  3. Stick with a Medtronic pump and carry a separate Dexcom CGM receiver.

What are folks’ thoughts on Animas quality and customer service vs Medtronic? I’ve been pleased with Medtronic over the years, especially their quick response when a pump goes bad (4 or 5 times in 11 years). If Animas/Bayer aren’t as responsive I’ll probably stay with Medtronic. I’ve ruled out Tandem due to various news reports about their financial insecurity.

FYI I’ve tried Enlite CGM in the past, 5 or so years ago, and had zero luck keeping connectivity between the pump and sensor. Dexcom worked beautifully until I dropped the receiver in the toilet :slight_smile:

Thanks!

I’m in a similar situation to you, and currently carry a separate G4 receiver with my Medtronic Veo (530G in the States I think) pump. I have been using a Medtronic pump since 2006, except for a few years on the Omnipod which is why I purchased the Dexcom and not Medtronic’s CGM. I looked into getting an Animas since it would be compatible with the Dexcom, but wasn’t impressed with the menu system which looks more complicated and like it takes more button pushes to do the same thing. The integration with the Dexcom was not well done from what I’ve read, and it’s older software that can’t be upgraded. It’s really not a big deal carrying around the separate receiver, I usually put it in the same pant pocket as my pump or on top of my phone in my pocket and barely notice it. Plus, if you upgrade to the Dexcom G5 your phone is the receiver, so you wouldn’t need to carry a separate device and it doesn’t matter what pump you have. I’m certainly not knocking Animas, I’ve never used one and it’s probably the only company I would consider other than Medtronic right now. Their pumps look sturdy and reliable, but watch the YouTube videos and you’ll see what I mean about the menu system looking like a complicated old computer. I also don’t like that I read when you change the battery you have the re-prime. Lastly, I am concerned about reports that it is for sale, and that they don’t seem to be coming out with any new models anytime soon.

I picked the animas vibe and I like it with the G4. I’m waiting for the new pump to come out, if ever, before I upgrade to a G5. I like that it is waterproof, that I can extend my reservoirs while changing the infusion sites, and save a little coin. I’d thought about an omnipod at first, but not having to carry around a separate receiver (optional, not a “must” with this pump) is great for me. I like the colour screens, too. I can get 5 or 6 weeks out of each battery.

We went with the Tandem X2 and are quite pleased with our choice.

1 Like

Am I missing something here? I’m using Enlite with Medtronic and am considering changing to Dexcom. The sales rep told me the receiver isn’t necessary if you have a bluetooth cellphone. I was thinking of getting an iPhone 8 (when it comes out), and an iWatch. That way, I can see my bloodsugar level as well as my heart rate when cycling without having to pulll out my pump.

The Dexcom G5 works well when tied directly to the iPhone. AFAIK you still have to purchase the receiver and it may have some functionality not on the smartphone app but it is not required to carry the receiver around. The iPhone would act as the receiver.

Android support is now also available for particular versions/platforms so you are not required to use the Apple products if you would rather use the Android.

I know different people seem to have different experiences with the Dexcom but we find it highly accurate and very reliable. We do dosing from the G5 numbers assuming no reason to doubt (like very high or fast rate of change or something like that).

I’m using the older model G4 which doesn’t connect to a cell phone and requires the receiver. The current model transmitter has Bluetooth and will work with an iPhone without requiring the receiver.

Here is the current list of supported Apple and Android products for both the G4 & G5. The list is steadily growing for Android users.

https://www.dexcom.com/faq/what-devices-and-software-are-compatible-dexcom-cgm-apps

I wouldn’t - for a second - consider doing dosing from Enlite which is partly why I am considering changing to Dexcom. My Enlite frequently has calibration errors. Also, I have to wear my pump within a foot of the sensor. I normally wear the sensor on my belly. If I put the pump on my belt on the opposite side, it almost always drops communication with the sensor. I frequently lose it overnight - which makes me wonder how they could possibly have a “safe” closed-loop system based on Enlite data.

I got mine in November and they never gave me an option of bluetooth. I got the older receiver. :confused: That was animas, though, not dexcom, who sold it to me.

Which product are you speaking of?

Thanks folks. I was Intrigued by the G5’s Bluetooth connectivity when the rep mentioned it, but I’d probably either carry the G5 receiver or get a pump that works with the G4, as bluetooth tends to kill my iPhone’s battery pretty quickly :slight_smile:

At this point I’m leaning towards the Vibe. Even though Medtronic customer service has been exemplary I’m not a huge fan of Medtronic’s closed ecosystem for infusion sets and pump supplies, and the fact that the Vibe uses leur-lock sets gives me more set options.

The receiver I was sold is not a dexcom share receiver. So I can’t use an apple watch to monitor my bg. It’s an older model, obviously. And most frustrating that it’s warranty doesn’t expire til nearly Christmas.

Soon the idea of luer lock may go away. Currently Medtronic uses proprietary sets. Tandem is transitioning to proprietary sets. Roche has quit selling pumps in the US. So basically you have J&J left with the Vibe and the Ping. I wonder how long makers of the different luer lock sets such as the Cleo will continue to make sets that are only luer lock. It seems to me that they will either expand to the different connector types or they will quit making the sets.

I hated the Ping but was mostly happy with the Vibe. The integration of the Dexcom G4 with the Vibe was poorly designed and I quickly quit using the integrated CGM. Plus the Vibe is stuck with the old algorithm of the G4 and is slightly less accurate than the G5. Rumors have talked about a Vibe integrated with G5 but by the time it is released, I suspect the G6 will be on the market. Plus there are lots of rumors of J&J exiting the diabetes business.

I chose to go with Tandem in the late fall of 2016. Usually when a pump company goes out of business, their competitors offer great deals. I am optimistic that Tandem will survive.

Good luck on making your decision.

1 Like

Total agreement.
Tandem (in my opinion) has the best product and I am very optimistic about their products and the company. I also like that Tandem is choosing to integrate with the best CGM available (obviously my opinion) with the Dexcom G5. The ability for Tandem to be remote upgraded via software download was the final push. We did go with the Tandem X2 and so far are quite happy with it.

3 Likes

In Canada, Tandem is not an option at the moment or I probably would have picked that system.

1 Like

“dropped receiver in toilet” Have done a few times myself. Loose bathrobe? Pump choice IMHO is clearly stated by your own text… Medtronic bad many times in 11 years. I started with Medtronic 20 yrs ago & dumped them after 4 yrs due to going bad several times. Been with Animas since & very satisfied. No brainer for me. Animas is very reliable.

Are you able to consider Insulet’s Omnipod insulin pump?
I am an extremely happy user. Prior experience included many version of Medtronic’s and other pumps. My opinion is that Medtronic quit being a customer service based / innovative company soon after they acquired Minimed who started the pump revolution. Now Minimed was a great, innovative company.
Insulet’s Omnipod is light years ahead of the others with the tubeless design. Its customer service is flawless.
I am also a big fan of Dexcom’s G5 CGM. Again customer service is superb and the device a lifesaver. Both companies continue to innovate. Dexcom on Apple Watch- natively integrated via Bluetooth in the fall. Today available via the iphone bluetooth connect. Also Dexcom’s app on the smartphone and analytical, shareable reports via Glooko are tools that both my care provider and I depend on.
My opinion and experience - hope this helps.

After thinking about it some more I chose to go with Tandem’s X2, with hopes of getting approved for Dexcom G5 CGM as well. Apparently Medicare is much more reasonable about CGM these days.

FYI on why I wasn’t considering the Omnipod, I’m really close to the 200u/2cc limit (I’m on U500 and use almost 1000u in 3 days) so I’m not comfortable limiting myself to a 2cc reservoir, which is the limit for the Omnipod. Also I’m fairly certain I’d knock the pod off regularly, I’m using alternate sites on my legs due to belly fatigue from 11 years of pumping and already have issues with occasionally ripping even low-profile sets out when I drop trou :-).

Thanks again for everyone’s feedback.

2 Likes

I considered an omnipod, but because I cannot reload its reservoir as needed and extend the life of the pods, I chose to go with a tubed pump. Insulin pumps and their supplies are way overpriced IMHO and any corners I can cut help me afford to have a pump.

1 Like