Time for the Ophthalmologist

My daughter just had her 6 year old well visit today and during her vision test, she was 20/50 in her left eye and 20/25 in her right eye. She was fine last year. So I promptly made an appt with a pediatric ophthalmologist.

Should I be worried? Neither my husband nor I wear contacts or glasses, and I have always had 20/20 vision. It makes me sick to my stomach to think this could be a result of T1D. Her A1C is 7.5. It's always been between 7.5 and 8.1 post-diagnosis on 2/13/12.

Have any of you had a similar experience with your child?

I would seriously doubt that this is due to her diabetes. Only diabetic x 2 years with decent A1c's. I started wearing glasses age 7 , my sister age 6 and our parents didnt need til their 40s. Get her checked for sure but don't stress. On the other hand my t1d son is almost 14 an needs no glasses.

definitely not the diabetes! diabetes causes retinal problems that they screen for with dilating the eyes, I would suspect there will be a lot less of these eye problems with the new insulin and technology she's pretty young she could of just been having a bad day and not in the mood to look at those letters, either way I would get her tested if she is having trouble seeing at school yearly eye checks are in order for dilation after ? 5 years of D, Jacob goes every year now no issues good luck with your sweetie, glasses are in if it is required, some tweens and teens fake vision problems to get glasses!

Thanks ladies for making me feel better. Yeah, she might have been "not in the mood" to look at the letters or maybe she was nervous? I wasn't in the room with her so I can't speculate. But she doesn't seem to have any vision problems when she is reading and doesn't ever complain of headaches, so I'll see what happens at the eye doctor.

Like everyone has already said, this is likely not diabetic retinopathy. However, I'd recommend getting your daughter's blood sugar under just a bit better control. The new ADA recommendations are that A1Cs for kids should be below 7.5. Is your daughter using a pump? Although a pump can be a bit more work, getting tighter control is easier. I've been able to get my daughter's A1C down to 4.8 with pumping. Although I never expect to get a number that low again, my daughter's A1Cs are usually in the mid-5s to mid-6s (without frequent lows.)

Update: My daughter has refractive amblyopia (lazy eye) in her right eye. Basically she is very farsighted in her right eye and will need to wear glasses and also patch the good eye for 3 hours a day at least until we follow up in 3 months.

The dr was surprised I had not taken her for a comprehensive eye exam before, but no one had ever told me to I needed to. I called her pediatrician after the eye dr appt to let her know about the diagnosis and ask if I had missed anything from previous well visits. According to what I've read, amblyopia typically begins in infancy and early childhood, but according to our pediatrician, my daughter was fine in her previous 3 vision screenings. So it must have somehow just developed in the past year.

Of course, I've also since read that every child should have a comprehensive eye exam between the ages of 3-5, and I'm now kicking myself for not doing so. And for some reason I remember asking our first endo - in the hospital when Liz was diagnosed and before she was discharged - if I should take her to an ophthalmologist for an exam and she replied "no." Aaaargh! I should have pursued my own research way back then.

At any rate, hopefully the glasses and patching will correct her vision and we caught it before it progressed any further.