Tingling in hands and feet

Hello everyone… I’m new hear and was diagnosed with type 2 in September. I am in excellent health otherwise. Currently I weight 156 lbs and I’m 6 ft tall. I have been running for the last 10 years of my life on a 1hr x 4 times a week schedule, I recently had my heart rate checked and it was 55bpm at resting.

I am not taking any medication for the diabetes but wanted to ask people if they think I should be.

I am checking myself with a Bayer Contour device but I’m not sure about its accuracy. Last week I went for a test and it came back at 7.2mmol but 1/2 hour before the test I tested myself and it was 4.9. Is there usually this much of a discrepancy? I could understand up to half a point but 2.3?

Also I have been getting tingling in my hands and sometimes in my feet. Should I be worried about this?

Thanks in advance for your input… Paul

Sorry for all the questions… Also what are peoples thoughts about cereal? I know they are generally high in carbs, and sugar but I have been eating Honey Nut Cheerios for the last few years and I’m thinking I should probably cut down or eliminate?

Hi Paul and welcome to Tu!! I know Canada uses a different process of measuring blood sugar…I’m not an expert in converting to U.S. measurements. The way you describe your lifestyle it sounds like you’re healthy, although having Diabetes you can still live a healthy lifestyle as you have been.

The tingling in your hands and feet sounds like Neuropathy which we get when having consistent high blood sugars. That’s one of the problems with T2s because there’s no way of knowing how long you’ve gone undiagnosed. Type 1s also get Neuropathy. I’m not familiar with how Canada educate their patients with Diabetes but know how to count carbs can be very helpful in management of our disease. And yes cereal does have lots of carbs and they also rate high on the Glycemic Index. Glycemic Index let’s us know how fast certain foods turn to sugar. There are websites that contain lists of foods and how they rank.

You have come to the right place to help with your Diabetes education. Who best to learn from then those are living with the big D.

The big question: Do you know your A1C? That laboratory blood test gives a snapshot of your blood glucose levels over the past 2-3 months and is an important number for you and your doctor to follow. If it’s not on target (ask your doc what YOUR target should be; generally anything over 7% is considered high), it may be time for meds. The standard of care for diagnosed type 2 in the U.S. is to start on metformin pills immediately. Not all docs follow this recommendation, but the approach of “only diet and exercise” is a bit outdated.

In addition to the A1C, is your doc checking 1) blood pressure, 2) blood cholesterol and triglycerides, 3) sensation/pulse in feet, 4) sending you for a dilated eye exam once a year (diabetes complications often show up first in the eyes), 5) doing a urine test to measure kidney health? If not, push for these tests, too. They give the complete picture of whether type 2 is in control or not. Best wishes!

Meters can be off by 20%. That’s a big discrepancy between the your Bayer & the lab test. Stress can send BG high in a short time. Was 7.2 your fasting BG?

Are you going to an endo?

It would be more helpful to know what your A1c is because this measures your average BG over a three month period. No one can say if you should be on meds without knowing your A1c, your BG after meals & fasting.

You should request a C-peptide test (measures how much insulin you’re producing) & GAD antibody test (measures how much your pancreas may be under attack) to make sure you’ve been correctly diagnosed. Some doctors assume a diagnosis based on age &/or physical appearance. Unfortunately, too many people are misdiagnosed & don’t get the proper treatment.

Tingling can be a symptom of neuropathy, so please mention this to your doctor.

If your BG soars after eating Cheerios, don’t eat this:) I can’t even look at cereal.

I tested back in may, 6.3. Have complained about the numbing and tingling for 12 yrs now, now with much pain included. Doc sent me for a EMG, got diagnosed with neuropathy. I started Byetta a little over a mo ago and am going good so far, running around 109 - 2 hrs after meal, still have diabetes but really helps my numbers big time- just have to eat a larger amount of carbs with the byetta shot or I get lows.

As far as the cereal thing, everyone reacts differently to different foods, so ck your sugar after eating it. I would have highs sometimes eating low carb, so you really need to keep a list of bad foods and good food list according to your testing. I normally, minus byetta, cannot eat very many carbs with any meal. Basically if it goes in my stomach its gonna send it up, minus meat and a few veggies that dont bother me.

Thanks everyone for your comments…

I think my A1C was 7.2 last time I went for a blood test. She said this was my average over the last month so I’m assuming that’s it (sorry, still getting used to these numbers)…

I’m just getting a little overwhelmed with all of this right now. I’m being told to cut down on the potatoes (a favorite of mine), rice, pasta bread etc etc… All of the good things. I’ve lost about 8 lbs over the last 2 months and that’s 8lbs I don’t really need to lose… I’m 6ft and about 155lbs…

I will be having another test in a couple of weeks so I will mention the tingling in my hands and feet (which does seem to be getting worse)…

My Dr did suggest meds when she first diagnosed me 2 months ago but I opted to try and stabilize things with diet. I don’t think its working though. I have always lived a healthy life. I have never smoked, do not eat fast foods and only drink occasionally. I have always taken good care of myself and just didn’t want to go on meds for the rest of my life :frowning:

Anyway… Sorry for the rambling… I appreciate all of your feedback… Paul

One cause of peripheral neuropathy that is often overlooked is gluten sensitivity/celiac disease. In 2001 I was diagnosed with small fiber peripheral neuropathy. I was checked for diabetes and although my GTT was 20l, the doctors felt this was ok because my fasting was 90. I am now happy they ignored my elevated post meal blood sugars as it made me look for other possible causes for the neuropathy.

In 2003, at a time my neuropathy was extremely painful and beginning to interfere with walking, I found an article linking gluten to nerve damage. http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com/theneurologicalmanifestationsofgluten I tested through Enterolab and my fecal antibodies to gluten were very high. It is important to know that damage from gluten does not always cause celiac diseaes(villous atrophy).

I started a gluten free diet and have had wonderful relief of symptoms of PN. My pain level dropped to 0-1 and my feet no longer interfere with my activities. My feet still have some numbness to temperature.

A year ago I decided to take another look at my blood sugar and bought a meter. I found that my fasting is still in the normal range, but I can spike well over 200 with meals. I now keep my blood sugar under 140(my goal is under 120) by sticking to a low carb gluten free diet. I have noticed that I am now beginning to feel temperature differences in my feet. I believe that getting my blood sugar under control is helping heal my feet. This is a slow process as nerves heal very slowly.

Low B12 can also cause PN. Mine was low and I now take 3000mcg of methylcobolomin.

I guess my message is that PN can have multiple causes in one person.

As far as cereal - I can’t eat the stuff as it spikes my blood sugar.

You know, going on meds for “the rest of your life” is not a sign of failure.

If your body does not use its own insulin well and/or does not produce any or enough of it, meds are necessary.

Of course I don’t like taking them, either. But the alternative? No thanks! Best wishes as you figure out your diabetes. It is frustrating and complex, which is why this site is a great place to unload!

Hey Paul,

A1c measures average for about 3 months, not one month. A1c 7.2 % is an average BG of 8.9 mmol/L (or 160 mg/dl). Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but anything over 7.8 (140) causes damage.

Constant high BG can also cause weight loss, in addition to restricting carbs. Eating more protein will help you gain weight.

Going on meds is far better than dying. You may be a Type 2 or a Type 1.5 (adult onset). Lots of info here you can search about Type 1.5. Without C-peptide & GAD tests, your doctor doesn’t know. Please go to an endo.

Know how overwhelming this is. Please read http://www.bloodsugar101.com. Jenny’s site is great & a wonderful place to start.

If you want to control BG better, consider giving up potatoes, beans, pasta, bread, rice & Cheerios.

Thanks Kelly,

I guess the frustrating part for me is that I have always been in control of my health and now this is the first time I’m not, to some degree. I think I will probably have to start on the medication eventually because I’ve been noticing my mmol/l levels have spiked as high as 16 after certain meals… yikes…

And, yes, I’m glad I have found this site… I’ts nice to chat and ask questions with other diabetics.

Thanks again…

I hear you! And I empathize.

That’s one of the first and most painful rules of a diabetes diagnosis: Some things are out of our control.

Somehow it truly helps to know that I am one of millions trying to live well with diabetes. I hope you know we’re cheering for you.

Also thought I’d mention the ion foot bath that removes toxins I’ve been doing for 6 wks have removed 60% of my severity of pain and 80% of incidences of how often I have the pain. I was extremely critical of what validity this method but I am amazed that it works wonders for me. It also has been wonderful in giving most of the feeling back in my feet, my ink still doesn’t hurt but being able to walk comfortably is a godsend to me.
Had my A1 done yesterday it was 5.8. Changed from Byetta to Metformin yesterday due to cost, so I’ll see how that goes. I understand the stress of having to remove the very existence of my diet that I love, but I am taking one day at a time and noticed I am kinda losing most desire of the things we can’t eat. At least you can fight this as we do and you now have friends to depend on and we are all in the same boat.

What’s an ion foot bath?