To hide or not to hide?

Well, DN would love to hide it, but it can’t be done, she just puts it in her jeans pocket. Quite a lump in the pocket, they need to make the pumps smaller. She does not like the waist-its and shirts too tight. There are pump underpants but she finds them uncomfortable and too hard to dig the pump out.

Hi. I am new to this site. I just started on the Ping 16 days ago, so I’m just figuring out where to put it. I am a cyclist, and for the past 3 days I took my T shirt off and let it hang out clipped to the back of my shorts. No one in spin class asked about it. I kept the tubing pretty well tucked in. The infusion set was covered by my clothing. I don’t think I’d like to have the site visible. If it’s on my upper abdomen, I will probably keep the T shirt ON. I am a doctor; most people are thinking it’s a pager. I actually have had the other doctors at the hospital ask where I got the cool pink pager! At work I leave it clipped on the V neck of my scrubs. I don’t like stuff clipped to my pants. I am very lean and clips from pagers, cell phones and yes,this pump, really dig into my stomach. Responses from friends have varied from genuine interest, which I welcome, to actual looks of pity, which I hate. And the reactions have varied from person to person, irrespective of what they do. Some of the worst have come from fellow doctors. One of my friends who is a surgeon, actually said “I’m so sorry” when he noticed it, as if wearing it was some kind of failure or something. I chose to get one - was tired of 6 shots a day and not being able to turn OFF lantus during 3 hour cycles. My A1c was 5.8 on MDI. I want to view it in a positive light, but having some friends and family react negatively to seeing it is getting me down a bit. When I did shots, there were only a few people I’d do it in front of. Testing I do anywhere, in front of anyone. I’m debating whether to show people or keep it hidden.

Hi Michele! I’ve been looking for a way to clip it to me when I wear scrubs as it too digs into my sides. I will have to try using the v-neck portion. I am in my third year of chiropractic school and I teach gross labs (hence, the scrubs!). I too have the Ping in pink and I switched from MDI’s to the pump because even though they swear it doesn’t, Lantus had a peak for me and I’d be in the middle of class and be going low. I too had great a1c’s on MDI’s, my last was 5.5! Most of my students know about my diabetes as I tell them at the beginning of the quarter and I’ve had a few students with diabetes that we’ve become buddies now.

Welcome to the site!

Elizabeth

I hate when people say “I’m sorry”. It’s like a gut reaction and they immediately recall their grandma or a family friend w/ neuropathy and vascularity complications or something…it’s just frustrating.
I used to work in a cardiac cath lab. I would just wear it on my waist when I was in the control room or setting up new sterile tables and stuff, but when I was wearing full lead in the room (skirt and vest w/ thyroid shield) I would clip it “inside” my back pocket, so that the clip faced out and the pump was inside my pocket. Then when I was done w/ the case I’d just move it back up. There were a couple times I wore it clipped to my v-neck, or I would put it on the inner chest pocket (b/c our scrubs were reversible w/ a chest pocket to face out no matter how you wore it). It was fine there during cases when it was under lead, but I didn’t really like wearing it that way w/o the lead on.
I cycle and being able to adjust basal rates is awesome compared to MDI (in my opinion). Less hypos for me b/c I reduce or halt insulin delivery for a while.
For that reason alone (but there are plenty of others, which people from this site could all agree with) switching to a pump is the way to go! I personally don’t worry about what other people think, b/c I know I’m doing the right thing for me and my body. I wear the pod now, and sometimes when I’m swimming or afterwards when I step into the sauna for a minute, I end up answering questions about what it is…it can be discouraging that so much of the population is so unaware about diabetes (and the differences) but I try to use it as a ‘teachable moment’ to spread some diabetes awareness.
I hope you continue to enjoy your Ping–I definitely think you’ll like the flexibility of the basal adjustments, among other things!

stick it in my bra and thats where she stays, people usually dont even know i have an insulin pump until i tell them

Usually I clip mine to my waistband or inside a pocket, with just the clip showing. I always tuck in the tubing because I catch it on everything if I don’t! Clipping it to the middle of my bra is not hiding it :slight_smile: Lately I have been successful taking the clip off and tucking it into the side band of my bra (so it’s just below my armpit). Seems to work well. No tubing getting the way when using the bathroom!

I normally tuck the tubing into my pants/jeans and leave my pump just in my pocket. Occasionally I’ll let the tubing hangout, but only if I’m 99% sure I won’t snag it on something

I actually caught my tubing for the first time yesterday and ripped out my infusion set. It hurt like hell! Hopefully, I don’t do that again!

I wear mine on my belt. With all the electronics others wear, I rarely get a comment. Most of the time its from another pumper. If asked i tell them it’s an insulin pump and use the situation as a teaching opportunity.

It is cheaper than a pregnancy and the child. You are protected by federal law, don’t let them get away with any guilt trips.

I wear it on my belt and protect it like it is my pancreas…oh ya, that’s half of it. I put it where I can access it, regardless if the situation. If anyone ask, it is an opportunity for a lesson in T1D.

I tucked it in the side of my bra today and it worked GREAT! Thanks, Nadine! I hadn’t thought about taking the clip off. I had tried clipping it to the front of my bra, which looked ridiculous. The pump is bigger than my chest, unfortunately.

When I first started pumping, 10 years ago, I always hid my pump in a garter type thing I wore under my pants on my calf (then I could just lift up the bottom of my pants to access my pump.) About a year after I got the pump I realized that wearing it under my clothes was incredibly annoying, so I started wearing it in my pocket. The only time I wear it elsewhere is when I am wearing a dress, then it goes in my bra. I don’t often get asked about it anymore, but when I do, it provides a great opportunity to talk about diabetes. I tuck the tubing into my pocket because when I don’t, it ends up getting snagged on something.

I am BIG on hideing mine. Minimed makes thesse great little pump straps, my husband calls it my gun holster…lol! Anyway, I have two of them so I can wear pants and strap the pump to my leg and noone ever knows. I also clip it to the middle of the front of my bra, this only works if you have on a loose fitting shirt. My last trick is to put it on my waist band but I face the pump in and the clip out… I had alot of “What’s That”??? When I first got my pump and even got an “EWWWWW WHATS HAPPENED TO YOU”??? One time when my shirt pulled up a little and the guy could see my site… So yes, I hide mine and oooooooo do I hide it well =)

Giiiiirrrrrrlllllll! LET IT ALL HANG OUT!! Who gives a rip about what others think?!! Actually, I clip mine to either my blouse neckline or collar. I usually get a comment about an “impressive beeper!” That’s when I’ve got them hooked and lay it on about diabetes/education. People are generally getting to accept our visibility and only ask questions because they are curious. This is when you could grab the bull by the horn and educate them! Test in public if you want. Don’t ever feel ashamed about your life.

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI

Michelle:
I am NOT lean and trim and I find that the clip still pokes me in the gut. OUCH!!! I find that the bra isn’t too comfortable either and I am concerned about heating up the insulin when I sweat. I’ve still not found a handy way to keep it on me besides my neckline/collar since it falls out of pockets for me when I sit down. I wish the powers that be would make a pouch for large women/men to put it somewhere. I also find that putting the tubing through a waistline is asking for the delivery to be cut off. In order for me to find pants that fit nicely everywhere else, the waistline tends to be snug. I went on the pump because I got sick of the bruises and sore spots not to say the bad HbA1c’s.

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI

I’m lucky to not be too close to the “bean counters” too. Our dress code is casual which is nice, so there’s no need to wear anything that feels awkward. Like one of the other responders, I keep it clipped to my belt, and partly in my pocket. The tubing sometimes finds its way out into the wild, and if people ask I use it as an opportunity to educate. Usually I get great questions, and only occasionally do I get people at my “technology company” asking why I’m living in the dark ages with a beeper.

Never saw anybody with a beeper inserted under their skin…

Hi Lois,
I took my shirt off and let the site show in spin class yesterday. I felt ok about it. I didn’t notice anyone looking at it and no one said anything. The spin instructor has cancer and teaches with her port in her chest showing, she’s not embarassed. I guess this thing is just part of me now…

Lois,
One tip I heard about but haven’t tried myself is to use baby socks as a pouch. They are soft and will hold a pump snuggly. You could use a safey pin to attach it anywhere; under your shirt (where a pocket is–the bulge would look like it was IN the pocket?) or to your waistband on the outside, and a shirt would cover it. No more pokey clips. Works well with pajamas too!

If you have the super long tubing, you could also have the tubing run down your pant leg, and keep the pump in your sock. I find all hiding places need to be modified depending on the clothes I am wearing!

Nadine

Glad it worked!