Tracker

Does tudiabetes, or some other site you know of, have a way to track what you're eating? I'd like to be able to enter, online, what I had for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc, including what time I did them, and help (or at least let) me enter the nutritional information about them (carbs, cals, etc). I'd also like to be able to enter my weight, blood-glucose levels, etc. periodically. This would be a great way to look back and see trends and spot foods that might have caused spikes, etc.

This seems like it would be a common tool for (pre-)diabetics to use, but I can't seem to find anything, here or on another site. As a software developer, if I can't find something that satisfies what I want, I'll create it and put it online myself. :) But that would take time which is in short supply in my life at the moment.

So, anyone know of something online like this?

I like to use an excel spreadsheet that I set up just the way I like it. But, the daily plate is good for that…
http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/

I also have an
android phone (EVO 4G). I don’t know why I didn’t think to check apps available for it… Thanks for the idea! :slight_smile:

BTW, if I find that enough people can’t find what they’re looking for in a tracking site/app, I may consider taking on such a project. I’ve been a professional software developer for over 20 years, and been doing .NET RIA (Rich Internet Application) web development for the past 5 years. I may start looking at some of the existing sites/apps and talking to people that use them to find out what’s liked/disliked/wanted. Just an idea now, but who knows… it could turn into something helpful to the community. :slight_smile:

Excel was my first thought, but that just helps me (which may be perfectly fine right now). I checked out The Daily Plate, and it seems to be more focused on calorie counting (the first thing it asked me was my calorie goal) and I’m not paying any attention to calories right now (I might eventually, but for now I’m only wrestling carbs under control).

I did a quick search to see what I could find out there and one that looks promising is www.sparkpeople.com

When you register for an account you can check off that diabetes is a health concern. It then gives tools to track glucose numbers.

The site is mildly annoying tho. If you don’t want all your info out there for everyone to see, you have to dig around a bit and find all the settings. :frowning:

I have been searching for something for a long time and haven’t really found something I like. I’m not a programmer, but I am a geek girl so I’ve even looked at things I could tweak. Still no luck. I’d love an update of what you find. And if you do decide to make something, I would love to know that too. Good luck!!

Even though a program may be intended for weight loss, you can use it for carb counting and nutritional status. I ignore the unneeded weight loss advice.

CALORIE KING! This is such a great tool www.calorieking.com I bought the software and use it on my computer that’s will me all day, but you can also get a subscription online a just login and you tell it what you ate and the quantity, and it does all the carb counting and nutritional analysis for you. Set up how many carbs/calorie/etcs you want to eat in a day and it keeps track of what you have left to “use” for the day. You can enter snacks as well. LOVE LOVE LOVE this program. It’s primarily used for people trying to loose wieght, so you can enter weight and it keeps a graph for you. You can enter BG in the notes section, but this is not a tool intended for diabetics per se, so no way to add BG numbers and keep a record of corilations bwtween what you ate and what your numbers were- also no way to add times eaten. I would pay anything for that added functionalty. You can get it for some smart phones too. Take the time to set up the goals section BEFORE you start using it- i think you’ll find it does about 80% of what we need it to do. The other data I keep in a spreadsheet I download from my meeter, and can cross reference strange results with calorie king to see if I ate differently that day.
Enjoy!