Tracking

I find it kind of insane that in the course of a month my pump settings have ranged from an ISF of 2.8 (1:50) to one of 1.6 (1:29), my I:C ratio has ranged from 1:14 to 1:8, and my basal rates have ranged by 0.4 units an hour throughout the day (that’s by about seven units a day).

For once I can say this is with ZERO change in activity level or routine. For the past two months I’ve been taking an intensive program that has me either in class or on the bus from 9:30 - 6:30 every day. I also literally eat the same breakfast and lunch every day, so the only meal that varies at all is dinner.

The good news is that despite this huge shift I have managed to keep my average blood sugar, for the most part, at around the same level. It’s been a bit higher for the past two weeks as I’ve upped pump settings in response. Now I’m in the process of lowering them over the next day or two, most likely, and I’m looking so forward to the next few weeks which are so easy. These are the weeks I can do almost anything and as long as I bolus accurately for it I’m fine. The past few weeks I’ve had tons of random highs and stubborn highs that just won’t come down, and any food even slightly “bad” makes me high.

I think that I’m tracking this is really good. I honestly feel like this is the hugest impact on my diabetes. If my pump settings are off then nothing else I try works, so keeping on top of adjusting them every few weeks is super important. If this is just the normal rhythm of my body when all other factors are held steady then no wonder I go insane trying to control my blood sugar when my schedule is crazy and I throw in exercise!!!

I am trying to figure out how to get my pump and meter data from EZ Manager into Diabetes Pilot, because this would allow me to keep track of and record (and easily access) everything. I’ve figured out how to save and import the CSV files, but I need to get some scripts that will automatically clean up and format the EZ Manager files the way Diabetes Pilot wants them. I tried it manually and it works PERFECTLY but I just do not have the time to do that. If only I knew how to program better, I’m sure making the scripts aren’t hard. I tried downloading one off the internet and modifying it, but clearly I don’t know what I’m doing well enough because when I tried running it, it didn’t change anything. Once I figure it out, the results will be amazing.