I am from Minnesota also and chose to go with Basic Medicare and a Supplement when I started Medicare in 2017. I assume that you “did the Math” before choosing a Health Partners Advantage Plan. Health Partners is a good company but on an Advantage Plan, you may be responsible for 20% of your DME costs. And likely the insulin for your pump will be covered through pharmacy benefits not DME Part B. The problem with insulin being covered under pharmacy is that you have co-pays, have formulary restrictions, and run into donut hole issues.
Although you have the option to switch to Basic Medicare at any point in the future, Supplement Plans can reject you for pre-existing conditions after your “initial benefit period.” I am not sure whether that is 3 or 6 months after you start Medicare. If a year from now you do the math and find out that Medicare and a supplement is a better deal, you likely will not have the option to switch. So I don’t want to scare you. I want you to do the math and make sure that you are making the correct decision because it is not too late to change. You will always have the option to switch to an Advantage Plan. You lose the option to get Supplemental plan coverage after your initial benefit period.
I probably pay more in premiums than you do, but my pump supplies, CGM supplies, and insulin are provided through DME at no out-of-pocket cost to me. Medicare pays 80% and my BCBS Supplement plan pays the remaining 20%. I have no donut hole issues because my insulin is not supplied from my Part D pharmacy plan.
With an Advantage plan, you are likely to have easier requirements for getting your pump and CGM supplies. I have no idea whether you will need a c-peptide test and I suspect that you will not need to see your endo every 90 days in order to receive pump supplies. I think if you call Health Partners they will tell you what DME supplier you will be using. This supplier should be good at telling you want is required to get set up for your supplies and they may likely do the legwork for you. An Advantage Plan is an “all-in-one” plan and it can be easier for navigating Medicare. The question is whether it is financially the best choice. It may be; it may not be. When I did my homework before starting Medicare, I spoke with an independent rep, someone from Health Partners, and someone from BCBS. I also attended multiple group sessions. The big issue is that none of these people understood the specifics of Type 1 diabetes and using a pump, insulin, and a CGM.
I go to Arizona in the winters and that is another reason that I chose Basic Medicare and a Supplement. Although Advantage Plans offer out-of-state coverage, it is more reliable/easier to get care through Basic Medicare.
I was part of a panel of seniors who consulted with JDRF to create this document and maybe it will give you info.