Trulicity , Type 1 and Weight Loss

WOW! That is amazing weight loss! Congrats! I lost only 5 lbs. I saw endo today and am trying Victoza. The Trulicity did not seem to be working anymore. My numbers started creeping upward. I had an A1C of 8.0 today. This is down from 9.1 last time.

Will look for your updates. Good luck!

It’s almost like Trulicity unlocked the ability to lose weight. I still have to work-out. I see my weight drop significantly every time I go for a ride.

Hello…I am also a Type 1 and my endo started me on Trulicuty after a month on Metformin 500 mg 2x day. Only took my first shot 4 days ago. 1st day nausea which subsided on 2nd day, but on third day and fourth day I had terrible diarrhea after a quick spike in BG. 1st time after a low BG and second time 30 minutes after a meal. Have you experienced anything like this? Anyone? Also my endo told me last week that the FDA approved use with Type1’s not that long ago here in the States.

PS I have also noticed loss of appetite and lower BG across the board. Now when I spike it’s only up to 200 rather than 300-400. My BG is coasting around 100! Never felt better in that regard!

1 Like

I’m a new member who’s had Type 2 for quite a while.After years of pretty good control (thanks to regular exercise) my hip imploded about 18 months ago. As a result I couldn’t walk (which was my exercise of choice),I gained a lot of weight and my A1c skyrocketed.I was then referred to an Endocrinologist at a large,very well known hospital.She increased my metformin and started me on Trulicity.Several times she referred to it as “a miracle drug” in terms of appetite and weight loss.Bottom line…in the 6 weeks I’ve been taking it my appetite is way down and I’ve lost 5 pounds.

IMO it’s either that the doctor’s words represent a case of “power of suggestion” or Trulicity actually is capable of curbing appetite to a noticeable degree.

Just my personal experience…

1 Like

So, this is actually a pretty well-known side effect of eating carbs (especially when combined with fats and salt). Carbs + insulin tend to promote the feeling of hunger in most people, and it’s pretty easy to get into an overfeeding loop.

You mentioned in a previous comment that you tried LCHF and found it too difficult to stick to due to carb cravings. This is true for most people for a period of adaptation: it almost always goes away after a couple of weeks. It’s also why many people start LCHF at a caloric surplus or maintenance level. In other words, many people start eating LCHF while not dieting, in the sense of not cutting calories. Once the body becomes better adjusted to not eating carbs, then daily calories are reduces step-wise until weight loss starts. It’s a pretty effective and very well understood pathway to weightloss at this point. It also tends to have less long-term negative side-effects than pure, steep calorie restriction (which often ends up in “bouncing” and binge-eating).

I’m very curious to hear how combining Trulicity and LCHF works for you, if you choose to lower your carb consumption.

1 Like

Been a since I gave an update. I just took my 18th shot and the symptoms have subsided, the weight-loss has stopped, and the blood glucose levels have started to rise.

On the plus side, I’ve lost 20 lbs and my HBA1C has come down from 10% to 8%.

So, the endocrinologist told me that my body has adapted to Trulicity making it less effective. I’m stopping Trulicity and trying another off-label med - Jardiance.

Got two more shots of Trulicity and a big ride on the 16th. I think I’ll start after the ride and see how it goes.

Trulicity wore off for me too. Been on Victoza for near 2 months and it is not wearing off yet, I have lost 11 pounds!! I feel lighter, less “bloated” and have cut insulin from 19 units to 10 units per night. I don’t have highs about 170 after meals, I don’t need any bolus insulin, and side effects have worn off. Not having heart burn anymore. I don’t enjoy Victoza making all food taste weird, my diet has changed, no interest in meat or “hard” foods, mainly soft foods are more appealing. I will continue it for now, hoping to lose another 15-20 pounds over upcoming months and get back to my pre-insulin weight last summer (125). I also started at the local rec center and have started swimming and varied exercise classes as I was not getting enough aerobic with just yoga.

1 Like

I know the thread has been dormant for a bit, but I wanted to say that I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
I’m on Day 4 of Trulicity. I’m LADA, diag 8/2016 after being considered T2 since 1993. So far, Trulicity was like flipping a switch. Appetite gone, calorie intake down, insulin use cut in half and MUCH tighter control.
The thing that bothered me and that I had problems finding out was what to expect. My Endo really didn’t know or wasn’t telling and there wasn’t a whole lot of info out there. I’ve been through the disappointment of ‘honeymood’ periods before and, while I was anticipating some kind with Trulicity, seeing such improvements and having them go away would normally be crushing.
Hearing everyone experiences will be helpful as I start my Trulicity journey, especially as I structure my diet and exercise plans.
Once again, my thanks to everyone - these threads do make a difference.

I started this thread almost a year ago in May when I started Trulicity for the first time. Over the next three months, I lost almost 30 lbs and then, as my body became accustomed to Trulicity, it became less effective. I stopped in September and started a different drug - Jardiance.

Over the next few months, I gained back about six pounds. Well, that was also because I took a five week break from cycling over Christmas and a 1 week all-inclusive trip to the Dominican Republic.

Five weeks ago, I started a Ketogenic LCHF diet and started Truclicty again. Over the last five weeks, I have lost another 12 lbs for a total of 35 lbs.

I agree, it’s like flipping a switch and appetite is gone, calorie intake is down and tighter control. The ketogenic diet accomplishes the same end. Put the two together and you have a great combination to drive weight loss, a reduction in insulin resistance, tighter insulin control and ultimately a longer and healthier life.

Thanks for the information - it’s good to know how others reacted to it. It may be all for naught as insurance wants to deny coverage for it as it is a ‘Type 2’ drug. We’ll see how it goes - I’ve hard data as to it’s outcomes and, more importantly, how much money it would save the insurance company.

I was on Saxendra for weight loss and lost a good amount of weight.
My Insurance changed and now it’s not covered.
I have my choice of Trulicity (I like the once a week injection schedule) or daily Victosa.
Has any one used either of my new choices and if so which do you prefer or recommend?
I still have quite a bit of weight to lose.
D

@Christopher5 what types of foods do you eat (if you don’t mind sharing)? I am working very hard to get my numbers even before I attempt to get pregnant, and I’m finding it difficult because I don’t enjoy low carb foods, but I’m hoping that way of eating will become natural to me if I form a habit?

Hi @anon64109713. I’ve been eating this way since my diagnosis 6 years ago. It’s become so ingrained that I don’t even think about it anymore. My rule of thumb is simple - I eat real food - nothing processed, or out of a box or a can. Or as a friend of mine jokes, I eat plants and animals. My day usually starts with some combination of eggs and meat. Lunch and dinner is really any kind of protein with non-starchy vegetables. My go-to snack is raw almonds, but also avocados, walnuts, pistachios, lunchmeat, boiled eggs, just to name a few. By way of example, yesterday I started my day with a plate of Migas (w/out tortilla strips or tortillas) , bacon and salsa. Lunch was sausages and sauerkraut. Dinner was homemade chicken vegetable soup with a cheeseburger patty on the side with pickles, mustard and ketchup. There are so many options with this type of eating that I never feel like I’m limited. I essentially enjoy everything out there, just without the sugar and starches. This also makes eating out pretty simple. Also, since my diet is high in fat, it really makes it flavorful and I feel sated after reasonable portions, and my energy levels remain constant throughout the day without the swings and crashes I used to have. There are a wealth of cookbooks out there with all sorts of great suggestions - under categories like Ketogenic, Paleo, Atkins, South Beach, Mediterranean. Find the dishes that appeal to you, always test to see how you respond, avoid anything that calls for sugar or starch, and you will develop a delicious eating plan just for you.

3 Likes

Michael:
Yes I have always struggled with weight and have been T1 36 years. I still have all my parts, but have never been able to get slim and have repeatedly tried. I am also very active. I have lost 9 pounds in 12 weeks and most people lose much more in that timeframe. I can only lose if I eat strict protein, vegee and fruit diet, drink 100 ozs water and exercise for hours and hours as you describe 6 days a week.

My endo just recommended Trulicity and I was researching the mechanism etc. and trying to make a decision. If you do choose to use it, I would like to hear about how it goes and if it works. I am going to a new endo next month and will see if she also recommends this. I hope it works out. Diabetes makes it tough to lose weight, but its do-able; it is just much, much slower than non diabetics. At least from what I have seen.

Best with all of it! Lori

I just read the updates! Lol! Your original story is still linked to go to then you see the updates!

I know you wrote this some time ago, but I wanted to say I completely agree. When I stick with complete Paleo diet my blood sugars are great, I feel great etc. I don’t miss bread, milk or cereal. For me, this is the only way I can lose weight and it is VERY SLOW. Thanks for posting this. I could not find any studies on type 1 and weight loss. If I were a doctor I’d push this door open!

Hey Lori - Great to hear that this is working for you too. The reason your weight loss is very slow might be because you’re eating too much protein and not enough fat. When this happens your body switches to gluconeogenesis, and your body continues to rely on glucose as your primary energy source. If you increase your fat ingestion, you can put your metabolism into ketosis and it will burn fat as your primary energy source, and you lose weight more quickly. It’s perfectly safe, and not to be confused with ketoacidosis, which is life-threatening. It’s how the human metabolism evolved over millions of years, before the advent of agriculture around 10,000 years ago. Go online and look up keto or ketogenic calculator and you can calculate the right amount of protein and fat that you need to achieve ketosis. I get my fat intake by taking a shot of olive oil, once in the morning and once in the evening. It gives me tremendous energy, satiety, and I often find myself needing no more than one or two meals a day - which are protein and veggies. Hope this helps and all the best! Christopher

1 Like

I was on Trulicity for about a year and have been off for 6 months. My doctor in my new small town (GP) states Trulicity is not for Type 1s and she won’t prescribe it. I found that the food stays in my stomach longer which results in less appetite. I had some indigestion and heartburn for 1-2 days after taking the weekly shot. I am now on Tresiba and metphormin only. I feel it is a bit more “natural” it started bothering me the drug Trulicity and the food staying in my stomach for much longer and not digesting also started to bother me. I eat a very healthy diet, no processed foods, kind of paleo but I do drink milk, eat cheese and peanut butter. I guess it is trial and error for all of us. I also felt rather tired on it as well as when I tried Victoza. But Victoza I felt like I could barely move. Since I have been off Truliciy I have gained about 5 pounds or so, but at yoga I feel I have better balance. I think for me being in my mid 50s, I want to be as “natural” as I can with what medications I take. I really don’t like taking insulin or metphormin, but without insulin my blood sugar would sky rocket to 600 or more. My pancreas just doesn’t make enough insulin. It took many years for this to sink in and me to realize no matter how strict the paleo diet and how much exercise, I still need to take insulin. My doctors tell me as I get older it will increase, the need for more insulin, and my pancreas function will decrease. I do like to try new types of insulin, and for now Tresiba is working well, maybe something better will come along soon. One day there will be a cure for diabetes,

Lori - I’m type 1 and have been most of my life.

I switched to a low carb diet in July, and a full keto diet in August. Since then I’ve lost 30 lbs and now weigh exactly what I did in grade school.

I also shared your concerns about combining T1D & keto , but Keto has been a game changer for my glucose control. I have a pump + CGM, and my blood sugars have never been as well controlled as they are now (pre-Keto A1C was 5.4, I suspect next A1C will be around 4.5).

I feel great, and I don’t need to eat more than once a day.

Get rid of the carbs and start losing weight today.
Jim

1 Like