TSlim-Control IQ Users Help Please

That is Tandem’s updated setup. When you upload your pump to their website, you can run reports, etc.
I still use xdrip and love it, but if you want to see what Control-IQ is doing, you need to upload to Tandem and view on their website.

Btw, I didn’t even bother bolusing for dinner (not a lot of carbs, but enough I should have bolused a small amount for,) and it brought it back down.

Here is my last 3 days showing the hourly. You can see where I am in that ball park of numbers until I eat lunch.
Obviously I can get a lot more time in range if I changed my lunch meals, but my overnight numbers are very nice, and I don’t have to really think about them anymore!

1 Like

Regarding not bolusing. My BG was in the 70s today just as I went out to knock newly fallen snow from 8’ high shrubs. Since exercise makes my BG drop had two oz of cranberry juice. When I came in 182. So anxious to see what it would have been with Control IQ.

I haven’t even thought about Xdrip although I I noticed the graph tutorials in Control IQ look like Xdrip graphs. So it looks like Tslim is the pump and receiver but you can use Xdrip on your phone? So how has it changed the way you use Xdrip? Do you still use alerts on Xdrip, I assume not unless you like them better, easier to use, different, etc.?

I keep my spikes low by eating to my normal insulin dose (put in insulin and have carbs 2 or 3 times over 4 hours when and if it absorbs) not by putting insulin in for food I plan to eat. That;s how I got my ave down to 104. Extremely moderate spikes. Don’t want spikes over 140.

2 Likes

Could you please explain that? I get high spikes after meals no matter how long I prebolus nor how much I bolus. I’m not on Control IQ yet. Have been using Basal IQ and am debating whether to switch. Nighttime BGs are a wonderfully straight horizontal line. Anytime I eat, I spike.

1 Like

I don’t use a TSlim yet so I currently manage my diabetes using a Medtronic pump and for the last 18 months a G5 Dexcom CGM.

We all have particular issues that cause us problems. I had a huge problem with meal spikes. I used to count carbs, pre-bolus, eat my meal and watch the spike go up to over 200 and maybe after 4 hours it comes down and maybe it doesn’t. It was very complex. Should I count only carbs, what about fast acting vs slow acting carbs, what about counting some portion of protein or fat as a carb equivalent, how long before my meal should I pre-bolus, etc. So I don’t do much of that anymore.

I figure if I ate a normal meal such as meat veg, a piece of bread or small potato maybe something for dessert, I would take 4 units of insulin. So this is what I do now.

For every meal I take 4 units. I eat only meat and veg for dinner despite taking 4 units. I watch my BG go up and then stabilize and then start coming down. When it comes down to about 110, I eat something else sometimes low carb ice cream, sometimes cottage cheese with chunks of pineapple, etc. So at 110 I eat my dessert, or anything with more carbs. In the meantime, my BG of 100 came down to 85 but when the add’l carbs kick I see it steady and then begin to rise. Sometimes it stops at about my target in which case I was successful and I wait until the next meal or go to bed. If I need to eat more, I do. If I need to give a small correction bolus, I do. But at least I avoided that big correction and anything else that could arise.

Think about what I have done. I know longer count carbs. I no longer wonder about glycemic index, I no longer worry about whether protein or fat will affect my BG, and I no longer worry if the bolus insulin is absorbed as expected. If not, I simply stop after the meat and veg and avoid a HUGE spike.

It really becomes quite simple especially with a CGM.

In effect I eat to match the duration of insulin (hopefully two or three times over 4 hours) and I avoid the spikes and everything else I just discussed. It works for me as my ave BG has come down to 107 whereas before I figured this out it averaged 160 because of meal spikes and lots more things.

Hope this helps. It helped me.

3 Likes

Now I want to know how you get those straight horizontal lines at night. I haven’t figured that out yet.

The Control-IQ, when in sleep mode, will start making basal corrections when above 120. They are not BIG basal corrections, but it is nice because it is a slow process that isn’t dangerous to dropping you low.
So, for your example, it would have dampened the 182 spike. Not sure how much, that is something you will have to see how it works with YOU. But it will HELP, no doubt about that.

As for xdrip, I use xdrip on my phone/watch. I just got a used Sony SW3, and use it to run as a standalone collector.
The Tandem X2 pump is the other collector from the G6, and the reports that Tandem now uses are nice. I still like xdrip better for reporting, but the tandem setup helps show you what Control-IQ is doing, so you can use it to tweak how you want to control the pump.
Both are great tools to use.
I use and watch drip all day every day.
I like using Tandem’s site now for seeing how Control-IQ is responding, and to see how I can tweak it even better.

You need Basal IQ for that! I stop eating about 4 hours before I go to bed. So there usually is little to no IOB. I had to reduce my nighttime basals quite a bit to keep Basal IQ from constantly cutting in and suspending basal. It really helped having the g6. Never had a CGM before. But that works well now. But the moment I eat anything… even something as simple as eggs and sausage in the morning, my BGs spike.

I am still thinking about taking the Control IQ plunge. Chris’s comment above that someone got their Basal IQ reinstalled makes it more attractive to try Control IQ. I am avidly reading everyone’s comments.

1 Like

From what I can understand the Control IQ is now a combined Pump/CGM. If you turn Control IQ off you can use it as a pump. If you want to use certain features of Control IQ you can get the same advantages as Basal IQ. I see no downside at all and am anxious to get it ASAP.

No, not at all. If you turn control-iq off, you’re on your own without any help from the pump. There is no basal-iq with control-iq, they’re separate algorithms. There is also no picking and choosing which features are active with control-iq. It’s either on or off

Thomas, which post are you referring to? Not sure what your “No, not at all”…refers to.

If it is the last one…Can’t you turn Control IQ off or never turn it on and wouldn’t it simply be used as a pump? I don’t intend to do that but if I did couldn’t I use my phone as an app for my G6?

1 Like

Currently I use Dexcom on my receiver and XDrip but Native Dexcom readings on my phone and watch.

So is the TSLIM the same as my Dexcom receiver?

And do you set up alerts on either or both?

You cannot use the Dexcom receiver while using the X2 pump.
You can use a phone in addition without issues though.
You can have your pump or phone, or both send alerts if you want.
My suggestion is to charge your Dexcom receiver to 80%, and turn it OFF. Leave it in a drawer for backup.
Personally, I turn off every alert that I can. I only get the LOW alerts that are not able to be turned off.

1 Like

If you turn off control-iq you lose all ability to be covered by the pump. Unlike the 670, where low glucose suspend is still active when auto mode is disabled, control-iq is completely off when disabled. You’re essentially back to a dumb pump again

Time for me to leave tonight as I am not expressing myself clearly. I want to use Xdrip on my phone and watch. I also want to turn Basal IQ on when using TSlim. Will the G6 readings populate both?

Your pump will not have basal-iq. It will come with control-iq, again they’re two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT algorithms that cannot be used together on the pump.

The G6 will work with the X2 pump and your phone/watch. Just not with the Dexcom receiver as well.

Thomas1, I made a revision and added dumb, Is this statement incorrect?

Yes. I misread your question. I thought you were saying you’d still get low glucose coverage when control-iq is off. Sorry