TSlim-Control IQ Users Help Please

Yes I only used the Dexcom receiver to say what I was using now. So that’s good.

The pump and phone app is all you need. You’re golden

Thanks all. I’m ready to sign up for X2. Time to go for the nite.

Answers are getting confusing because people are mixing up terminology.

Simple timeline:

1. T:slim x2, innovative but “dumb” model.
  2. T:slim x2 with G5 integration, no automation yet, but you could see your CGM right on the pump screen.
  3. T:slim x2 w/ Basal-IQ, worked with G5 and G6. Turned off all basal delivery if you were predicted to drop below 80 in the next 30 minutes. Many people fell in love with this system and have been reluctant to upgrade. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” And/or they worry about the presets and if it will compromise their current level of care. However, Tandem stands by their next gen software. Once you leave Basal-IQ behind, there’s no going back to it.
  4. T:slim x2 w/ Control-IQ. The long awaited hybrid closed loop. This generation only works with G6 thus far, but should work with other CGMs in the future. Has the ability to hard-stop basal like Basal-IQ did, but can also simply reduce it before that becomes necessary. Many think it’s actually much better at controlling lows than basal-IQ was. On the flip said, it can now increase basal as well if you’re trending high, and then give 60% of a correction bolus it figures will bring you back to the 110 (maybe 112, I get confused about the two point difference). Along with those benefits, though, you HAVE to take their presets, including a 5 hour duration of insulin action, a 110 mg/dl target, and preset goal ranges of 110-120 (sleep mode), 70-180 (default mode, but it tries to keep you 80-160), or 140-160 (exercise mode).

All new pumps sold in the USA market are shipping with Control-IQ. In this market, basal-iq no longer exists. It is used in other countries, though, where Control-IQ is not yet approved. If you think you really want a basal-iq pump instead of a Control-IQ pump, you better make sure it’s known from the beginning of the ordering process and prescriptions are written for the right pump. I would assume you could get one of you insisted on it.

You do not get to pick and choose the features you like. There is exactly ONE Control-IQ option, on/off. If you turn it off you have a great tiny pump with a touchscreen and a rechargeable battery, and will still see your CGM data… But no predictive low suspension.

Honestly, I think this thread is getting needlessly confusing. Based on what you’ve said, I think you will be thrilled with Control-IQ in sleep mode. Try it that way for like a week and see what you think. I think you’ll notice a drastic increase in your quality of life and that you can maintain similar success with much less effort on your part. My ramped up settings are because I often ride the roller coaster and I’m seeking the elusive 100% in range, while still happily eating carbs and otherwise enjoying my life. In getting 98 and 99% TIR, but not yet that 100. If you try it and still want to aim lower, then you can start getting more aggressive in your settings. Increasing your basal rates across the board is the easiest way to drive it under a 115 average.

3 Likes

Thanks for your comments and timeline as I am new to reviewing TSlim and your timeline explains a lot. Yes, it is easy for misunderstanding and misinterpretations to creep it when you are not speaking face to face with one another. Although it did happen here, (and happens in many posts), I think everyone was accurate after considering the misinterpretations.

2 Likes

Why do you put Control-IQ in 24/7 sleep mode? Thanks.

For those that want a lower BG over 24 hours sleep mode is a tighter range so they could keep it in sleep mode most/all of the time. Sleep mode is a range of 110-120 for decreasing-increasing basal and 70 for stopping basal But if you are predicted to go higher than 120 sleep mode will only increase basal and does not give an automatic bolus. For that you need to be in regular mode.

1 Like

For the lower target range. Default mode doesn’t take any action as your sugar is climbing until you’re higher than 160. Sleep mode starts increasing insulin if it predicts you’ll exceed 120, with a target range of 110-120.

For a LOT of diabetics, increasing their time spent in a range of 70-180 to 80% is a drastic improvement in their care. And trust me, I used to be one of them. But I’ve started to see complications, I’ve been working diligently to achieve better than that and want more for myself. Keeping my system in sleep mode is helping me get closer to perfect control while increasing my quality of life. It’s much easier to manage without my constant tiny adjustments and alarms going off.

3 Likes

I was happily using Basal IQ till recently and was concerned about Control IQ since my target was always at 90. I am now very satisfied with Control IQ and find the low glucose protection is improved. Otherwise it works much the same. I don’t get the auto bolus since they disabled it for sleep mode and I use that almost all the time.

I do make a few mods to get it to work:
1 I lie about weight and daily doses to get it to actually try to do something.
2 I let it fill in corrections for the current glucose and then fill in over it with that level boosted by 20.
3 I have the pump filled with profiles where each is about 20% more basal for each step. In normal use with control IQ off (which is mostly for the day or two my G6 is too flaky!) I use my normal settings. When Control IQ is on I boost the profile to the next higher basal rate. This helps get my sleeping level down near 100 at least instead of their bad 112 level.

The result seems very close to what I could get with basal IQ except Control IQ gives me a much steadier stable level at night while I am asleep and can’t make adjustments.

I really like being able to bolus anytime without turning things off. Besides correction bolus where I mod the glucose level I often just dose a few units. This is mostly for when I am taking the pump off for a bit.

The only annoying thing is that this new version is much more scared of hypoglycemia. I get more warnings now that I am going low and need to fill up on carbs. It does this even at night where the pump just turning off fixes the problem.
They didn’t put in any band between the 70 that shuts off and the 70 level that triggers a warning. Course this would not happen much if I let it set things high like it wants.

I hadn’t thought of it, but followed someone else’s recommendation to turn off the high and low alerts under the “my CGM” setting. It’s much less annoying now, with just one alert that goes off. I used to get like three in a row. Control-IQ, pending low, 70 low, then if I tied over the line to like 71, I’d get another low alert for the next result of 68… That was driving me crazy. Turning off any optional alarms helps.

1 Like

Can you turn off high and low alerts under the “my CGM” and still have high and low alerts on Xdrip? With Xdrip there are no qualifications other than it will sound an alert if 55 or lower. So I hope the answer is “YES”.

Yes. :smile:

As with everything else, though, there are compromises to make. If you turn off high/low alerts you will still get critical alerts on the t:slim (under 55) and Control-IQ predictive low alerts. Also, the pump screen will no longer have lines indicating the limits of your target range.

So I am clear, if I set my hi and low alerts om Xdrip but do not set hi and low alerts on t:slim will I get the following:

t:slim no lines indicating ranges, no alerts other than predictive alert for under 55

Xdrip all alerts and lines indicating ranges set

I could live with that

Yes, except for this:

You will get a predictive low alert from Control-IQ if it thinks it can’t save you from dropping under it’s 70 lower limit.

You will also get a “critical low alert” at 55.

Nearly naked screen:

And which can you use, or must you use, if you calibrate: t:slim or Xdrip?

I might feel differently once I get t:slim but right now I look to do everything I can on Xdrip.

You can calibrate from either the pump or xdrip, doesn’t matter. If you use the bolus wizard and enter a number other than what the CGM says, it will ask you if you want to calibrate. Then there’s a calibrate option without the bolus wizard under CGM settings, too.

Thanks. With all the help I’ve gotten, by the time I first use t:slim I will be 85% in the know :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I daresay you’re running 110% of any training offered!

1 Like

Okay, Why do you lie about your weight and daily doses? By daily doses, I assume you mean Total Daily Insulin under options > my pump > control IQ. Correct?
I am guessing you are changing these values to “game the system” so that it works better for you. What is the strategy? Thanks.