Tutorial on Dexcom G5 Sensor

Hi there!

I’m trying to be more active in the T1D community and I really like Youtube and thought if I can change my channel to become more helpful videos for T1’s and other helpful lifestyle videos I’m going to do my best to make it happen!

If anybody is new to the Dexcom world and wants to see how I insert the sensor into my arm, you can check out my youtube channel SUNNYDAYSWITHALEX

Dexcom G5 Insertion

I hope this can be of help to newcomers. I know that when I first started using Dexcom, I went to the internet to search for videos and forums about the whole process.

I hope everyone reading this has an awesome day please.

:blush: :sunny:

2 Likes

You are not holding the inserter as recommended by Dexcom. ie, you have your fingers UNDER the collar, during insertion. Shouldn’t a “tutorial” on Dexcom G5 sensors show the proper way?

Well done, Alex! You maintain good eye contact throughout and the camera is able to focus in on the important parts.

I agree with @Dave44 that it’s important to keep the two fingers away from the collar when inserting a sensor. You were obviously aware not to pull up on those two fingers before you pushed down with the thumb on the plunger. I have made the same mistake many times but I’ve never pulled the ring up before sending the plunger down and wasting a sensor.

Dexcom makes this point because I’m sure with the thousands of people using their system, this has happened a few times.

Nice work with the one-handed application of the reinforcement adhesive.

I started using this style sensor/applicator back in 2009 with the Dexcom 7+. Before I inserted my first one I watched a YouTube video. I found the video format very helpful.

Your voice was steady and clear. Your sunny disposition combined with obvious confidence builds confidence in the viewer, too. Good job!

1 Like

@SunnyDaysWithAlex
Nice Video !!!
Informative with a funny (in a good way) narration !!!
:slight_smile:

We still use the “two person” method and have not attempted a solo insertion.

I am disagreeing with the followup comments regarding the collar and actually see zero issue with the way this is done in the video.
This does not (necessarily) have to be debated (in the theoretical) as you can easily check this yourself. It simply is not possible to pull up on the collar prior to the plunger being depressed. As Alex mentions, there are two clicks which can be heard while the plunger is depressed. This is what causes the collar to be mechanically unlocked. Without these two clicks from the plunger going down, the collar can not be lifted. If unsure, the next time you are putting a sensor in - try lifting the collar without moving the plunger. It should not move.

Apologies if I totally misunderstood what the followup comments were referring to.

1 Like

I didn’t know this! That explains why I’ve never made this mistake in over eight years of using this sensor inserter system. Thank you for the clarification. :grinning:

From the G4+Share user guide, I found this:

20 AM

This is what led me to believe that a mistake could be made by pulling back on the collar. I never tested my assumption. I wonder if an earlier iteration of the inserter wasn’t fail-safe as it is now.

In any case, I learned something new today. Thank-you, @Tim35.

If you want to send me one of your sensors, I’ll be glad to do it your way, Tim. All Dexcom literature and official videos explain NOT to hold onto the collar when inserting the needle. Having said that, I know that people on line have made videos explaining they don’t bother following those rules and it works for them. Good for them.

I have the same sensor you do. You can put your sensor on anyway you like.
My only point is there is a mechanical interlock which prevents the collar from being raised until the plunger is depressed. This is trivial for you to check yourself.

This is a great video which shows very clearly how one can easily put a Dexcom sensor on the back of their arm with no assistance from another person.

No it isn’t trivial for me to check because I’m not going to mess around with the mechanism because I don’t want to ruin one of my sensors. That’s why I said if you want to send me one of yours I’ll play around with it

And I maintain that if one wants to create a tutorial for how to do something that is Medical in nature that it should at least follow the directions of the manufacturer. Now I am done with this argument.
let’s move on

ha ha ha

The old tactic of:
Let me have the final say. Please don’t response. Let’s move on.
Quite amusing.

In any event, whether you choose to believe what is true is certainly up to you. It is an easily provable fact that the mechanical interlock exists on the Dexcom G4/G5 sensor. Anybody who uses the Dexcom sensors can check this for themselves. You also absolutely have the freedom to choose NOT to do this and believe whatever it is you prefer.

I applaud the creator of the video who has done an excellent job of showing how to do a task which would be next to impossible to explain in a written text message.

Certainly if you prefer not to use her method or if you prefer to only use the Dexcom strictly as it is FDA approved then that is 100% your choice. Although from your other posts it is quite clear you do NOT strictly follow the FDA approvals for the Dexcom.

Which again - is 100% fine and absolutely your choice.

It is great that people are able to choose what is the best approach for themselves AS WELL AS share their experiences with others such that we can all learn from each other and CHOOSE what will work best for our own individual situations.

Hi there Dave!

Thanks for the constructive criticism. It is brave of you to speak your mind, I commend you. But kindness is also strength. I was showing a tutorial for how I personally insert my Dexcom G5 and hoped that this was helpful for others. I did not say anywhere in the video that “I will be following strict FDA instructions and that this is the specific way that is recommended by Dexcom.” Just
wanted to post my own way of doing things. We are all unique expressions of the infinite. I hope you have peaceful holiday and Happy New Year. :blush: :sunny:

1 Like

Thank you so much for the feedback and support!

Have a happy holiday!

Thank you!! I’m glad it was entertaining! I like to keep things positive.

1 Like

Love the video! Very nicely done. You’ve given me a bit of courage…I just might give my arm a try next time! :joy:

1 Like

Alex, hi, glad you didn’t take as much exception to my BRIEF comment as did another member of the forum. :slight_smile: You did a great job!

Tim, More than once I have messed up the insertion by pulling up the collar as I push down on the inserter. Kind of in a simultaneous motion. It has always been when I was in a hurry and careless. And every time it has resulted in a failed sensor with my assumption being that the sensor wire was never inserted. I have trained myself to think about fingers above the collar every time I insert a sensor.

@SunnyDaysWithAlex Nice job with your video. I should hire you to do a video of how I insert my arms sensors. I bend my arm with my elbow up to the ceiling and the back of my arm facing the mirror. Like you I attach it downward (but starting with fingers above the collar :grinning:). I find this very easy and have never seen a video with it done this way. I’m 65 years old and my arms are too wrinkly and flabby to make a video!

I like the sensor on the back of my arm and then I can sleep on it without compression lows and losing signal. I also paint the sensor adhesive with SkinTac before I insert it. That keeps it on for about two weeks before I need overtape.

Have you made any other videos for diabetes?

4 Likes

Oh yay thanks! Let me know how it goes if you do end up trying your arm! :slight_smile:

How long do you wait after applying the Skin Tac? I do it differently and probably in a slower, more complicated fashion. I made a template that I affix to my skin (it has a spot that covers the sensor insertion area to avoid wiping the Skin tac dauber over it). Then I apply the skin tac, use a hair dryer to speed up drying, remove the template…you get the picture. Lots of steps. Maybe I should just do what you are doing. My sensors will stick really well for a few weeks. Sometimes I do an edge touch-up w/ Skin Tac

Oh that is such a good idea for a new arm placement! I’ll have to try your way next time! Thanks so much for letting me know what you think of the video! It means a lot. I love feedback. I have not used SkinTac before but am thinking about trying it out. Does it leave any residue after you peel the Dexcom off?

For my other videos so far in relation to diabetes, I have made a few “What I Eat In A Day” videos in case anybody is curious to what I am eating on a daily basis and what my blood glucose readings are as well. I am going to try to post every week. I farm during the week and have long hours but I try to make sure I film a video a week and get it posted. If you have any ideas of what types of videos you’d like to see more of I’d be happy to hear them! :smiley:

My next video will be posted hopefully tomorrow and is about why I’m grateful I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

Every dressing “enhancer” leaves residue. I use S&N Unisolve to remove residue, followed by alcohol. I use Unisolve to ease the removal of my sets and G5 sensors because if I try removing them w/o Unisolve my skin gets very red, sore and irritated from pulling the dressings off. I let the soak for at least a minute for the Unisolve to work it’s magic thoroughly, before removing sensors/sets.

After removal, I go over the area with Unsolve and then alcohol–I don’t just use the Unisolve to soften the dressings. (Just to be clear)

1 Like