Type 1 diabetic for 35 years just found out I'm pregnant with my 3rd child and I'm 38 years old

Good afternoon ladies I have a huge question yesterday i found out that i am pregnant with my 3rd child. I was 29 years old when i had my 1st child which is a boy and when i was 32 years old i suffered a miscarriage and then when i turned 33 years of age i found out i was pregnant with my daughter who is now 3 years old. All my pregnancies were good i kept my A1C’s in order, my sugars were in perfect order. but since now that I’m getting older and my husband and I just found out we are expecting again, just has us a little scared knowing I’m a high risk diabetic. I made an appointment at the women’s hope clinic to get the paperwork i need to apply for medicaid and to see the same obgyn that delivered my kids. am i putting my life at risk to bring this child into the world or do u think i can have a safe and healthy pregnancy if i do everything right.

I’m 36 and just had a healthy pregnancy and delivery. I was mostly low carb to ensure I had near-normal bgs. My A1C throughout the pregnancy was 4.9-5.2.

My MFM said age isn’t really a high risk factor unless you’re 40 or older. That said, I’ve seen a number of older T1Ds have healthy pregnancies.

Congratulations and I hope everything works out for you.

1 Like

Hello Good morning, Thank you for the advice that you gave me it does give me hope and assurance that i can do this with no problem. I mean i’ve done this already with two successful pregnancies. so I know with the help, love and support of my husband, kids,God, family,friends, & Dr’s that everything will be okay. I have an appointment today at the women’s clinic so i can get the paperwork to confirm the pregnancy and to see my Dr.

2 Likes

I have 2 healthy girls born when I was 38 and 42. They are now 8 and 5, and the joy of my life. Yes, I am diabetic and on insulin. You can do this. Your age is not excessive. It won’t be much different from your last pregnancy.

1 Like

Thank you so much. The advice actually makes me feel a whole lot better.
Thank you.

1 Like

I only have one child who I had at 26 and I’m 41 now. I think I was on Regular and NPH insulin shots. Plus I was in a stressful relationship so I definitely prayed a lot and that helped me through it. You have the experience so don’t be worried. I believe that now with technology and a good doctor it would have been so much easier for me. Just make sure to talk to your doctor about any worries you might have and take care of yourself as best as possible. I am currently on an insulin pump and a Dexcom continuous glucose monitor which I love.

Good morning, Thank you for your advice, and yes i have so many more
questions i’m going to ask my Dr. but see when i was 29 i had my 1st child
my son and i was on the insulin pump and if it wasn’t for my husband coming
home from work cause i wouldn’t answer my phone, my son and i would have
never made it cause i was 8 months pregnant and my blood sugar was down to
21 that’s cause later on i found out that the pump was faulty, but for my
daughter i did everything on my own with the help of my Dr’s. so i do hope
and pray this pregnancy will be perfect. Thank u.

I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve had several pumps and haven’t had issues with them. Maybe the technology would be better now? But if you are on shots and good control with that then that wouldn’t be bad. I just could never get into control with shots. I have really bad fluctuating blood sugars sometimes and am sensitive to doses more than 5 or 6 units on my insulin pump. I have hypounawareness so I definitely love my Dexcom continuous monitor. It will warn me when going low. It has been a life saver for me.
You should definitely express your concern about the past low blood sugars. My issue when I was pregnant was that they increased my insulin so much my blood sugar would always go low and often at night. If you don’t have a Dexcom or something like that definitely check your blood sugars all the time. I actually had my Dexcom first and if I had to chose a pump or Continuous monitor. I would pick my Dexcom. :slight_smile: