Type 2 and Possible Hysterectomy / Myomectomy

Hi, can anyone please give me advice?

I have uncontrolled Type 2 and just got word today that I have two fibroids (grapefruit and egg sizes) that must come out. At age 45, I am done with having children (two beautiful ones), but am scared to death that I will not recover well, or go even more hyperglycemic during surgery. On top of it all, I also have a heart stent.

Has any ladies in our forum gone through surgery of this type? What was your outcome? :(

Hi PB Lady. So sorry to hear you have to go through all this. I've had fibroids but I never required surgery. The fibroids can cause a lot of pain. Hopefully you can get the T2 under control before the surgery. Have you checked out the site bloodsugar101.com? It is really helpful. How do you manage your numbers right now? Stay strong. Joanne

Hi PBLady, have you thought about getting a second opinion on the surgery? Have you discussed the surgery option with the doc who manages your diabetes treatment or your cardiologist? I would want to make sure all members of my medical team were on the same page with the surgery.

I too have a grapefruit size fibroid and have for many years. I was about your age when they discovered the fibroid. I am 51 and pre-menopausal. Started with hot flashes and lots of other nasty hormonal symptoms about a year and a half ago. The crazy hormones have made controlling my D a roller coaster ride that I wish I could get off of.

Neither my gyno nor my endo want me to have a hysterectomy nor do they want me to go on hormone replacement therapy because their hope is that I can ride it out until I get through to menopause. My gyno even said that other doctors might have had me on the operating table a long time ago but he feels I will be better off if I don't have the surgery. He said he might feel differently if I were much younger.

If you do go forward with the surgery, is it an option to push it back until you can prepare by taking steps to get better control of your diabetes? Preparing by eating right, testing often, making treatment changes with your doc, and walking every day would help you to be at your best going into the surgery.

I second checking out hystersisters. That was a great help when I went through it. I know a lot of women over there said they had great results from myomectomy that lasted for 10 or so years. You may reach menopause by then and not have the fibroids regrow.

My Gyn put me on insulin while I was in the hospital and so there was no problem there. They will also take your heart condition into consideration.

I believe that my reasonably controlled but not greatly controlled BG slowed down my healing but here I am 6 months later feeling pretty good. Everyone heals differently so it is hard to say, my surgery was more extensive than some people's and it took me longer to heal too.

I would discuss your uncontrolled T2 with your drs. Can they change your meds to get you under control?

I don't have alot of experience with controlling BS, as I am working on that too, but the surgery part I did have. Fibroids on my uterus and had total hysterectomy and am happy to this day that I did. I went through menopause early then, but healed fine and no probs. I am sure the doctors will help with BS stuff during surgery and watch your heart for any problems, but you should discuss it with your doctor so you can make a true decision for yourself.

I had a vaginal hysterectomy in 2003 due to fibroids. I fought it for 2 years trying everything I could to avoid the hysterectomy. Because I have sleep apnea, my surgeon and I agreed that I would have an epidural instead of a general anaesthetic. I believe that some type of morphine may have been administered at the very end of the surgery. I asked to keep oy ovaries and that was respected. I also asked my surgeon what his religious/spititual beliefs were and to bring them with him into the operating room--a friend suggested I do this and it turned out wonderfully well. I prepped for the surgery by eating very carefully and lightly ahead of time--fruit and vegetables mostly if I recall. I was already taking metformin at that time but my blood sugar was very well controlled. I think that avoiding the general anaesthetic worked really well for me in terms of recovery...my roomate also had an hysterectomy but with the general anaesthetic and she woke up with vomiting etc. Her recovery was very slow compared to mine. My surgery was on a Friday morning and I went home on Sunday morning, while she stayed in hospital longer. A friend of mine came on Saturday and gave me a Reiki treatment and I really believe that helped me too. All in all, I believe I had the best hysterectomy I have ever heard of! I would never have thought of all the things to do that helped me make it a positive experience, but luckily I had several friends who helped a lot to reframe it for me. If/when you decide to go ahead with it, just remember to "bless" it in some way that is meaningful to you.

Hello PBLady, I had a fibroid tumor the size of an egg which for me was causing excessive bleeding and severe anemia. It had to come out! A few questions for you:
Are your fibroids causing you issues? Have you sought a second opinion and reviewed all the options available? A hysterectomy will take a considerable amount of time to heal, your digestive system will be affected for a while and not to mention that other organs in your body will be affected by the removal of your uterus and may cause you problems later on in life. My first doctor suggested a hysterectomy and I fled the office as fast as I could for a second opinion. I chose to have a Laparoscopy which was going in through the vagina and removing the tumor. My doc showed me pictures of it once it was removed. This worked for me because of the size and location of the tumor. My sister chose the Uterine artery embolization procedure, which is also less invasive for her tumor due to its location. It cuts off the blood supply to the tumor and it dies. For me and my sister, we had the option of choosing a less invasive approach and as a MODY diabetic it was less stressful to my body and recovery for both procedures pretty quick with less side effects from a hysterectomy. You may want to speak to your endocrinologist to discuss your blood sugars and if the fibroids are not an immediate threat, work on lowering your blood sugars as any procedure is stressful which of course causes high blood sugars. Look online and review the options for treatment and ask your doctor. Personally, I would avoid hysterectomy if at all possible. It may cause pelvic organ prolapse. You should also check with your cardiologist and get some advice. All the docs should connect with one another so whatever procedure you have it is safe for you and your conditions. Good Luck and keep us posted on how you make out.