Unplanned & slightly freaking out

So I was recently diagnosed with Diabetes type 2 (literally 3-4 weeks ago) and tested positive on some take home prego tests yesterday. With my weight and PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) I didn’t think even getting pregnant without purposely trying was possible. I was just taking the test to placate my hubby.

I can’t make an appointment till Monday, and have been feeding off the internet since last night. Since i was recently diagnosed, I’m still in the process of getting my sugars under control (170ish range). However all the info online is freaking me out! All ive read about is how having high blood sugar at this period during the pregnancy causes so many birth defects.

I’m mentally preparing my self for a miscarriage, but trying to be optimistic.

I guess my question is, has anyone found themselves in a similar situation and had a positive outcome? I could use a happy story right about now!

Try not to freak out about stuff you read on line. Easier said than done sometimes. It’s a scary time for any newly pregnant woman. It’s still early and your blood sugar isn’t crazy high (like 300). Get in to see your doc asap and take it from there.

There are plenty of diabetic women that have healthy babies, even some that were unexpected.

1 Like

Congratulations on your pregnancy! There are numerous accounts of people getting pregnant with high A1Cs and high blood sugars (and diabetics and non-diabetics alike drinking until they found out they were pregnant) where the babies turned out absolutely fine. The important points to note (from my perspective at least) is that once you find out you do your best to stay within the bg ranges that are recommended and cut your self some slack anytime you go outside that range - just do your best to get back within it as soon as you can.

There’s a diabetes and pregnancy group on Facebook that you may want to join to gain a large community of people going through this as well.

I went low-carb when we decided to try to get pregnant and stayed mostly low carb throughout my pregnancy. It made a big difference in terms of staying within bg range, and I didn’t find the diet modifications that challenging (although other people do…I just really love cheese and dairy and vegetables and found I didn’t miss the carbs as much as I thought I would).

Again, good luck. You can do this! Plus, we’ll be here as you continue to have questions throughout.

1 Like

Hi,

your sugar is higher than desired, but not alarmingly so.

The most important thing will be to get levels down to ideal as soon as possible.

For now, and until you get on meds to control your sugar levels, avoid all added sugars, and carbs (grains, fruit, starchy vegetables), except non-starchy vegetables (ie. you will be eating mostly meat and vegetables, eggs, cheese etc). You may find that eating low carb is the best way to control your sugars, even after you are on meds. Drink plenty of water.

Most likely you will be put on insulin. This is the standard practice with diabetes in pregnancy. Lots of ladies here are very experienced in managing diabetes in pregnancy, and you can ask all the questions you need.

Don’t worry about the past. Just move forward and do what you need to do now.

1 Like