Update on "frozen shoulder"

A few months ago, I posted a discussion about the problems I was having with my shoulder, which I thought was frozen shoulder/adhesive capsulitis (which is incredibly common in people with Type 1 diabetes). I received some excellent advice from many of you. I ended up going to a physical therapist who specializes in trigger point therapy, and who also does active release technique (ART). Well, it turns out I didn’t have adhesive capsulitis, I had some muscular problems in my shoulder due to computer mouse use! The PT is a miracle worker, and my shoulder is VERY close to being 100% (which is great because I am seriously into yoga and my practice was being affected). Many thanks to all of you who gave me feedback and got me pointed in the right direction. I can also recommend two great books, “The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook” by Clair Davies and “The Frozen Shoulder Workbook” by Clair Davies.

Good for you! Do you know what to do with a rotator cuff tear? OUCH!!!

Lois

Well that’s just fabulous. I’m so happy for you. Shoulder number one is about 95% recovered and shoulder number two is 98% recovered, thanks to my physical therapist (John! Love him!) and lots of home exercises. Isn’t it nice when we WIN one once in a while? Yay.

Hey, great news, Melitta!! Glad it ended up being something easier to treat and you found someone who can work well with you!

Glad to hear it wasn’t frozen shoulder. I had it first in my left shoulder, and several years later in my right shoulder. Hopefully it won’t return to either shoulder.

Great news on a favorable outcome, Melitta! Hope all else is well!

As an Occupational therapist assistant , I did my first on site training with frozen shoulder! It was informative, but I admit I had no idea it was a symptom of type 1…I will keep that in mind and if you need exercises I do still have them! I am not licensed…long story, but I still have the stuff around . Rotator cuff…ouch and contacr me…why not pass it on if i if you need some suggestions on that too…

Cathy

I had frozen shoulder after my breast cancer surgery, then a few years later 3 torn rotator cuff muscles. Big OUCH to both. Thank goodness for my wonderful therapist :slight_smile: I feel for you.

Happy news! How was it determined that it wasn’t frozen shoulder? Stay away from the mouse:)

Hi Gerri: Actually, the term “frozen shoulder” certainly applies to the problem I had, but my problem turned out to be muscular (mostly the Subscapularis and the Infraspinatus) and not adhesions (adhesive capsulitis). My PT did trigger point therapy on those muscles, and even though it has taken a long time, I am simply stunned (and so happy!) by my improved shoulder motion. As for that dang mouse, which is so bad for me, at work I had a full ergo evaluation and have new equipment, including a Contour Design mouse which simply doesn’t look like any mouse seen before (http://ergo.contourdesign.com/products/rollermouse/default.aspx).

Interesting new mouse!

I just that same mouse at work. I’m still trying to get used to it. How do you like it?

That is outstanding news. You have been fortunate to recover full motion. But of course the real challenge is figuring out how to become impervious to future problems. Do you have good exercises to do? Are you doing internal and external rotations?

I’m glad the’ve fixed you up! I started mousing left-handed a few years ago. There’s a couple of functions @ work that it’s useful to use the number keypad that way too but mostly b/c of wrist/shoulder issues.

Fantastic news!

Hi MrAcidRock: Well, I am right-hand dominant but ruined my right wrist with mousing so I switched to left handed–and got “frozen shoulder” in my left shoulder. Dang. So now I have this funky mouse that requires two hands!

So far I am doing okay with it! Of course it is an adjustment. My work is crazy-busy at the moment, so I have just been “getting by” and haven’t quite mastered it. But the ergo eval person highly recommends this mouse as one that does less damage to our poor body parts that were not designed for mousing. We did not evolve for this.

Hi Brian: My PT informs me that “at this age” I need to spend a lot of time doing exercise therapy to keep functioning. I used to do just a simple back care yoga program in the morning, but now I do all sorts of shoulder and back exercises, including internal and external shoulder rotations that are combined with spinal twists. What has made such a huge difference is using a lacrosse ball for self-massage. I even have one at work, and take breaks for it. Awesome, instant relief. This whole process has been such a learning experience. I had such a bias towards thinking a physical problem must be a joint/ligament/tendon/nerve, and I did not consider muscular problems.

at some point, I had a finger act up on my right hand, switched to left handed mousing, and still do to this day. I like being able to use number pad with my right hand while mousing left-handed.

That whole rolling thing has become quite the vogue in the last decade. It is supposed to help with myofascial release, allowing your muscles to relax and extend more. Foam rolling is also supposed to help. I also try to work on shoulder dislocation exercises as shown below (although I use a light resistance band).