Using an Infusion Set Longer Than 3 Days

Using an infusion set longer than 3 days???

“The FDA approved on Friday a proposed trial of an insulin infusion set that can be worn for 7 days, according to a press release from Medtronic.”
That would cause so much trouble for me. If I use an infusion set more than three days, the insulin absorption is not as good. Scar tissue can begin to form. If I used the set for seven days, I would probably get very little absorption. Scar tissue can remain in the area for a long time, and there might be poor absorption after applying a set at the same location later on. Doesn’t Medtronic and the FDA know about scar tissue?

What are your thoughts on this topic?

1 Like

That makes little sense to me as the insulin can cause scar tissue in and of itself, so continuously infusing insulin 24/7 for a week seems to me to not be a great idea.

4 Likes

Doesn’t Medtronic have someone in management with some common sense? 7 day infusion sets would be an Epic Fail.

5 Likes

Not to mention it would reduce cash flow unless they are very expensive. Also, many folks can’t get 7 days from 1 reservoir. (Nor should they)

2 Likes

I would be interested in results. Besides improved adhesion, I would assume the cannula itself is also updated. I would try free samples if available. I currently use QSets for 3-6 days without problem. Pumping over 25 years.

2 Likes

I’ve never had adhesion issues with my sets which are Sure-T’s covered with an IV300. If I wanted, I KNOW I could wear them for a week, but I don’t.

1 Like

I didn’t notice if they are cannula-type or steel sets. Medicare better not demand that we leave our sets in for one week!! I’m beginning to ponder that Medicare asked for this infernal set so that they can change set-change guidelines for their recipients. Wouldn’t that be a crock!

My wife leaves the old set in and goes back to it if the newer one does not work well -

she has easily had them 7 days more times then can be counted

I’ve never had to second guess a new set, so I don’t leave the previous set in for “insurance”. She must be using cannula sets and/or has scar tissue, unless maybe I’m not thinking of additional reasons. :slight_smile:

@MM1, don’t you have to refill the reservoir to use an infusion set for 6 days?

Just tried the steel - same results

When they work they work - other times she sometimes goes back to the old

Does she have scar tissue, perhaps some tissue that isn’t noticeably tough on the outside, but is nonetheless less able to uptake insulin and get it into the bloodstream as it should? “Bad” tissue isn’t always easy to identify.

Doctors can order more frequent changes than the set is rated. My sets allow changing at 72 hours but my doctor’s orders changing at 48 hours. I wouldn’t anticipate that circumstance changing with a 7-day rated set.

Each person’s tissue and immune system would react to the extended wear across a spectrum of experience. I don’t think Medicare would over-ride a physician’s clinical judgement. Consistent absorption is king and if wearing any set too long causes fading absorption, that would be a no-go from my perspective.

If I could get good results with seven days and did not injure the site, I would love to reduce the frequency of that chore.

4 Likes

I use 1.8 reservoirs which last 5-7 days for me. I change reservoir + tubing when res is empty. I change QS based on number of days used, or if seems like insulin not working well. Mostly use stomach, although may use hips every month or so. Occasionally the stars align and do Res, tubing and QS at same time.

There are times I pack a filled reservoir, tubing, and QS as backup, ready to switch out quickly if needed away from home.

1 Like

Medicare would do what doctors prescribe, although may need explanation or proof the other way fails.

And we’re talking about something we don’t know how it will be different. I’m willing to wait and see before judgement.

1 Like

I think the main problem is spikes on set changes - but I guess this is common

When I do a set change, I do a larger prime than recommended, which usually avoids spike. Also have a snack sometimes with small bolus to get the site absorbing insulin better. This may be most helpful for those with low basal, and therefore get fewer basal pulses per hour.

2 Likes

Good point, Terry

I had to do that (extra prime) when using cannula sets. No need with Sure-T.

1 Like

I perosnally am excited about the research, but it scares me to death. Having had two very significant wounds that required surgery and weeks of wound care.

I just told someone I hope it works, I mean I really do. But I am skeptical.

Note: I am a Medtronic ambassador. My opinions are my own. They did not pay me to say nice things about Medtronic devices or the company. OK, they sent me a shirt and a cup but even I am more expensive than that.

2 Likes