Walnut Cake from YaSureYabetcha

A re-post:

WALNUT CAKE
From the Ya Sure Yabetcha Kitchens

I adapted this by melding 2 old recipes---my mother’s and one from the mother of a friend. The nut flours can get heavy, so adding the 2 extra beaten egg whites helps with that.....

3 cups hazelnut flour (Bob’s Red Mill). A bit under a whole bag.
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
Sweetener equivalent to 2 cups of sugar (Splenda or stevia)
2 eggs separated + 2 more egg whites
1-3/4 cup almond milk or heavy cream or a mix of the two
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I double that—love vanilla!)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 pound walnuts, finely chopped
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
Whole walnuts for Garnish, if desired.

1--Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch tube pan (like an angel food cake pan). I’ve also thought it might work in two loaf pans, like a sweetbread.
2--Measure flour, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl. Combine butter, sweetener and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. Reduce speed to low. Gradually beat in flour mixture, alternating with almond milk/cream blend, ending with flour mixture. Add extracts and beat well. Stir in chopped walnuts.
3--Beat egg whites at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat until very stiff. Fold egg whites into batter. If it feels too, too stiff add some more almond milk and/or cream. But it is supposed to be a thick batter.
4--Pour/spoon batter into pan. Bake 65 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool at least 10 minutes---Little longer in my Mom’s oven. About 63 minutes in my oven.
5--Garnish with whole walnuts. Gets better sitting overnight, though I can’t usually wait.

When I was making this for my 89-year-old Mom, we were trying to pour more calories into her frail body and served it with whip cream (with added stevia and vanilla). It was curl-your-teeth-rich!

Sounds delish! What is the nutritional info? Carbs per serving, etc. Thanks!

Oh yes, Spirit---it's a wonderful treat. I'm running up against our migration--I have one of those crumpled recipe papers with the notes and it may take a bit to find it. The carbs, which as one of those infamous lo-carbers since 2007, are the main thing I care about, are very low--you can trust me on that, maybe 2-3-4 carbs per slice, depending on size of slice---so many variables. But look at the ingredients and amounts. It is possible to figure out. And if you and yours need the full out richness---whip cream is 0 carbs!

As an Old Lady with limited computer skills, it may take me awhile to show up on the new site, but TuD is always my home base, so look for me there eventually to re-engage. And always---the best way to know how a recipe effects you is to TEST---a lot!......Blessings! Judith in Portland

Thanks! You might want to try this site which I use to modify my recipes. http://www.caloriecount.com/

1 Like