Web resource? Carb counted recipes?

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a Type 1 aimed website or resource that has recipes that are carb-counted? And I’m not talking about carbs per - “portion”, as many websites have. I’m meaning for example, 20 per 100g carbs, so that if you follow that recipe, you can weigh your portion and calculate exactly.

I find many have the carb content, but are not specific with portion size etc to calculate insulin doses from. I know I can calculate myself as I cook, but a bank of recipes would be useful too.

Thanks in advance!

Elisabeth

1 Like

Another very valuable resource is a “smart” scale that can weigh specific ingredients and give you a carb reading. There are several on the market, they aren’t particularly expensive, and they work. I use the EatSmart.

1 Like

It’s not precisely what you describe, but I use the lose-it app on my iPhone, which allows me to adjust the portion size to almost any amount or unit for most things… It usually gets me in the ballpark at least

1 Like

One of my favorite web resources is called calorie count which spun off of about.com and will let you enter your recipe and then calculate the nutrition based on the official USDA nutrition database. They also have recipes that you can browse and they summarize the nutrition info. Another similar site is run under the “Self” brand and provides similar functionality.

2 Likes

My big “secret” is making modular food. Chili, taco salad, chicken and rice, thin crust pizza. With the chili, I literally did the old “McCormick’s Chili.” I both doubled checked their carb claims (cans of beans and tomatoes have carb counts right on the side) and checked sites like Calorie King, Calorie Count…whatever.

Once I’ve done THAT work, it’s not hard to put together a meal:

Chili Dog with cheese

60g total for the meal (I’m not low-carb)

I figure 12g (weight) of chili per carb

and 20g carbs of chili which comes to 240g by weight. I have my brother’s old HANSON dietetic scale.

hot dog 1
hot dog bun 18
1/2 apple 15
240g chili 20
tortilla chips 6

total 60g carbs

Taco salad is even easier. The modular approach also has the distinct advantage that I know EVERY ingredient and its carb count. If I find something better to put in it, it’s very easy to swap out its parts. That’s harder to do with “All-in-One” foods.

1 Like

Like Brian, I use the Calorie Count recipe app. Another is on the Canadian website http://www.eatracker.ca (more oriented to metric measures). I like to enter a recipe as written, then change up certain elements such as type of sweetener or addition of fiber to see the implications for carb counts.

1 Like

Thanks for all your suggestions! They are all new sites for me, so thanks!

In short I think the idea I am hunting for perhaps doesn’t exist. But these are great helps too.