Carb counting

This sounds like a daunting task. I have an appointment with a dietician and I'm a little apprehensive about it. I know I need to do this but don't know if I can. I'm going to go and do the best I can to learn, maybe it will click and I will come away with a valuable tool.

What have been your experiences with learning carb counting?

Gary S

Carb counting is pretty easy once you understand the principals of it. There are books you can buy, make sure you get one that includes total carbs, fiber and NET carbs (the amount of total usable carbs after you deduct the fibre). Don't worry about finding a book that includes carb counts for prepackaged foods. Those change all the time and the package tells you what the count is.

You just need a book that gives the carb counts for veggies, fruits, grains and other items you will eat fresh or prepare yourself.

There are websites where you can look up carb counts of the most common foods (not prepackaged stuff, REAL food). I like this one, its simple
http://www.carb-counter.org/

And you should have a set of measuring cups: 1 cup, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 and 1/8th cups.

And last, but certainly not least, a nutritional kitchen scale that has codes or a list of items you can choose from. You put your plate on the scale, punch in a code or use a list that is buit into the memory, add the food, and it will calculate the carbs for that food.

One that "tares" is best, it allows you to hit a button that zeros out the weight so you can add another item.

I just write down the carbs for each item as I add them, then total it up and calculate my insulin dose from that total.

Once you get used to doing it, its simple. I learned it as a teenager, back when my mother was on the Dr Atkins diet. The only difference between now and then was that we can deduct fiber because it may not raise your blood sugar much at all, and we have a LOT more tools to use.

The other thing is that all prepackaged food comes with nutritional labels that tell you the serving size, the carbs and fiber. As long as you stick with the proper serving size, you know what the carbs for those foods will be.

For the rest: vegetables, fruit, flours and grains used in recipes, etc, the carb counter online or in book form, along with the scale will tell you all you need to know for each meal.

The hardest thing about it was learning to use the scale, because of the codes mine requires. There are better ones now that just have a list of foods to choose from.

Carb counting is totally worth it because you no longer have to guess about your insulin. You can get your meal ready, and then take your insulin knowing where you should be in two hours. Its great!

Here's how to use food labels
http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20432882_2,00.html

and I have attached a brochure on reading labels for carb counting, see page two of the PDF attached

[2731-Carb_Counting_eng.pdf|attachment](upload://c8i9BQ8b0zXL5dorN9gesM0UWlu.pdf) (149 KB)

Please note the example given as a meal in the PDF is rather HIGH in carbs!

I've found that it is pure garbage. I need to get down to business and eat wholesome vegetables and meat and eggs and healthy fats such as almonds and walnuts. When I do this, as I have done before for perhaps a week, my numbers, both readings and units injected, come way down. There are many vegetables that are "free". in that you can eat as much of those as you want. The key is to prep and cook them in the best way possible in order to provide yourself with the best variety and taste.

As for meat, it's okay to eat a steak now and then, but the healthier the meat, the better. Boneless, skinless chicken breast is great when done correctly. I try to eat SLOW carbs, and low glycemic. In this way, no blood sugar spikes will happen, no large injections needed to counter-act the fast carbs, and more stable blood glucose will result...like me, though, you are probably human. The American and Canadian food guides will NOT help lower blood glucose. It's pure garbage. As well, corn and corn products are not to be eaten by humans. What happens when the rancher stuffs his cattle with grain and corn? They fatten up for market. Same goes for humans.